Buying another 1911

rebs

I like my gold cup so much that I have decided to buy another Colt but have to decide which one. I have a Glock 30 and 21 for carry so the new one will mainly be a range gun with very limited carry.

cw308

rebs
I have a Colt 1911 70 series 45acp chrome, with that collet barrel bushing. A S&W 4566 commander size, both are a pleasure to shoot. I just picked up a new Colt New Agent with Crimson trace laser grips, its a 3" its just as accurate as my others, what a fun gun. Not a Stallion like the Gold Cup.

Last edited:

Woolecox

The best 1911's I have ever owned bare the name of STI and Nighthawk Custom. They always function and are extremely accurate. The triggers and sights are amoung the best in the business.

The size is up to you. I carry a government size 1911 every day in the winter. Most of the time in the summer, I carry a commander size. Along with two spare 8 round mags.

COSteve

I've got both a Springfield Mil-Spec and a Range Officer, both NM s/ns, and am impressed with both. Great range guns and work well for CC as well. Forged frame and slide gives them a both an advantage over the Para's USA or Rock Island Armory's 1911.

dgludwig

My Series 70 Colt Gold Cup is the pistol I have used for decades of Bullseye competition. I also have a SIG Model TTT that I really like and would recommend to anyone wanting a well-made, nicely-finished, accurate, reliable 1911 pistol mainly for use as a "range gun with very limited carry." The included life-time warranty is a nice, added benefit.

P-35HP

I would recommend the Desert Eagle 1911 G Model.

From Magnum Research website:

Featuring all the timeless style of an American original and sharing the proud heritage of the legendary Desert Eagle, the new .45 ACP 1911 from Magnum Research comes fully equipped with top-of-the-line custom features at a basic model price that blows away the competition.
The Desert Eagle 1911 single action models are available in two barrel lengths, 5” and 4.33” and are shipped with two 8 round magazines with extended base pads for positive magazine insertion. The frame is precision cast and machined from high quality carbon steel and the slide is machined from solid billets of steel than finished in a matte black. The Desert Eagle 1911 comes loaded with outstanding features that would cost extra from a custom gunsmith. Some of these features include a high-ride beavertail grip safety, extended magazine release, aluminum trigger with an overtravel stop, stainless steel full-length guide rod, extended thumb safety, enlarged ejection port, beveled magazine well and double-diamond checkered wood grips held in place by stainless steel hex screws.

GetDynamicImage.aspx

dgludwig

How much does the Desert Eagle G Model cost? Seems to be loaded with desirable features but, imo, they could do without the ugly, "billboard" size logo.

crusader4x

My EDC is a Sig Emperor Scorpion Carry that I got only a year ago. Take a look at the Sig 1911s, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rebs

does anyone own the magnum research 45 acp that can attest to its reliability and accuracy ?

Rothdel

I have a RIA 1911 I purchased to be a beater 1911 and do some (IE learn) modifications on.

3 years later and I have not modified anything and this gun goes with me on most range visits. Plain jane gun that shoots great and is extremely reliable. Cost to value is wonderful IMO.

peggysue

So many manufactures coming out with the late great Colt 1911. A.J. Savage (US gov't contract 1919, made slides only)
American Classic
American Tactical
A&R Sales
AMT
Armi Dallera Custom (ADC)
Armscor
Astra
ATI
Australian Precision Arms
Auto Ordnance
Briley
Brixia
Brolin Arms
Browning (reduced-size .22 and .380 copies)
Bunker Arms
Cabot
Carolina Arms
Caspian (slides and frames only)
Charles Daly
Christensen Arms
Cimarron
Citadel
CO Arms
Colt (commercial and US/foreign gov't contract from 1911 to present day)
Chiappa (.22LR 1911 copy)
Crown City
Cylinder & Slide
CZ USA
Dan Wesson
Detonics
Devel
Dlask Arms
D&L Sports
Double Star
Ed Brown
EMF
Essex (slides and frames only)
Federal Ordnance
Falcon
Firestorm
Freedom Arms
Fusion
Gemini Custom
Girsan
Griffon Combat
GSG (.22LR 1911 copy)
Guncrafter Industries
Gunsite
Hero Guns
High Standard
Imbel
Imperial Defense
Infinity
Inland Manufacturing
Interstate Arms (Regent)
Irwindale Arms Industries (IAI)
Israeli Arms Industries (also called IAI)
Ithaca (new business located in Sandusky, OH)
Ithaca (old NY-based company, made pistols under US gov't contract 1943-1945)
Iver Johnson
Karl Lippard
Kimber
Kongsberg (M/1914 pistol manufactured in Norway under Colt license)
LAR
Les Baer
Llama
Lone Star
Magnum Research (Bul)
Maximus Custom
Metro Arms
Michigan Armament
Mitchell
MP Express
Nighthawk
Norinco
North American Arms Co. Ltd. (US gov't contract in 1918, ~100 pistols assembled but not delivered)
Nowlin
Palmetto State Armory
Para Ordnance/Para USA
Pistol Dynamics
Olympic Arms
Omega Defense
Oriskany Arms
Peter Stahl
Randall
Ranger
Reeder Custom
Regent
Remington Arms (current business)
Remington Rand (made pistols under US gov't contract 1942-1945, not affiliated with Remington Arms or Remington-UMC)
Remington-UMC (US gov't contract 1918-1919) NOTE: ~1000 replicas were made by Remington Arms and Turnbull in 2014)
Republic Forge
Roberts Defense
Rock Island Armory
Rock River Arms
Ruger
Safari Arms
S.A.M
Salient Arms
Sarco
Schroeder Bauman
Shooters Arms (Philippines)
Sig Sauer
Singer (US gov't contract, 500 pistols produced in 1941)
Sistema (aka D.G.F.M.-F.M.A.P.) (M1927 pistol manufactured in Argentina under Colt license)
Smith & Wesson
South Fork Arms/Perkins Custom
Springfield Armory (former military arsenal in MA, made M1911s from 1914-1917 under US gov't contract)
Springfield Armory (commercial business established in 1974, not associated with above)
STI
SVI
Tanfoglio
Taurus
Taylor & Co.
TİSAŞ
Turnbull Mfg.
Unertl
Union Switch & Signal (US gov't contract, 1943)
Uselton/Ultimate Arms
USFA
Walther/Umarex (.22LR 1911 copy)
Wilson Combat
Vega (frames only)
Valtro
Victory Arms
Volkman

Still more...

damienph

Rebs, I have two Colts, two Springfield Armory's and a Kimber, all are great shooting guns. Up until a year ago I never would have recommended an RIA but my son bought an RIA Tactical 5" Government size that really surprised me. He bought it from a co-worker who is chronically short of money... It is actually a pretty decent 1911, not a match gun but accurate enough that it is fun to shoot and so far has been 100% reliable with all factory ammunition and my handloads.

I like it enough that I've tried to talk him out of it but he has no intention on getting rid of it.

However, this one RIA is the only RIA that I have any experience with. Based on this one, I would give one a try.