Buying a Rifle/Carbine While Living in a Heavily Populated Area

gak

You mention style - M1 Carbine is the one, and I'll bet they'll accept it even if not (originally) technically a "pistol" cartridge. (You can mention - as they'll know anyway - that the .30 carbine is available in a Ruger Blackhawk and USFA (Colt clone) SAA as well, as well as others). I'll second the Rugers - as a close second. M1 has more range and capacity in stouter magazines.

shaggy

Gotta agree with FirstFreedom here. I'd go for the AR15 in 5.56 and get a Ciener .22 kit with a couple 30rd mags.

More pricey than some of the other options presented here? Absolutely, but you'll have a good reliable and accurate gun you can use in either .22 or .223/5.56. Shoot .22 at the indoor range and you can use .223/5.56 when you get to another range that will allow it. It takes nothing more than a change of the bolt & carrier group to go from .22 to 5.56. Due to the numerous aftermarket parts and accessories available, the AR15 is one of the most versatile firearms in existance. Later on if you decide you want another caliber, there's plenty available that will work on that same lower receiver.

xrageofangelsx

I think I've decided on getting an M4rgery carbine that is chambered in 9mm and see if I can find a .22LR upper to go with it. Now to scour the gun shows....

superpelly

Highpoint---gun is not expensive, ammo is cheap, and it really dosen't shoot that bad, You can take two mags, cut them, braze them together get a stronger, longer mag spring and have a mag that can hold 18. Of course this is what i heard!!!

xrageofangelsx

Handy: How about an Uzi carbine?

It wouldn't be worth it, would it? I know nothing about the Uzi other than its a 9mm. The AR would be nice because I could later get a .223 or other upper. As always, I'm still searching.

Handy

"Worth it?" If you like the looks of an Uzi, it would be a fun carbine with a small collapsible stock. Their like $600 these days.

An AR would be more adaptable, certainly.

Have you considered just getting a regular AR and a .22 adapter for the local range? The .22 thingys use your .223 bore, so the cost is lower.

Not that there's anything wrong with a full 9mm upper, just a thought.

xrageofangelsx

I have considered it. I just received a Bushmaster catalogue in the mail as of last night and inside it has several calibers and uppers listed. I haven't looked through the entire catalogue yet, but I've decided to try and see which option is most cost effective for the AR configuration.

To purchase a .223/5.56 since all (new?) Bushmaster rifles are both according to their catalogue and then get a 9mm upper. Or to get a 9mm carbine and later pick up a .223/5.56 upper/mag set.

The .22LR would be fun as well and super cost effective. I know the argument of the AR jamming has been beat to death and is usually ammo or mag related, but I wonder if this would cause the AR to jam since ammo can be finnicky. Although since we are now talking about the AR in .22Lr rather than .223, it may be a whole 'nother ballpark.

I won't be using the AR in any caliber for home defense in rust belt Cincinnati, but it would be nice to have a carbine in case things follow in the footsteps of 2001 when idiots decided to riot where I work and live. When I finally gradute, I'd like to take some sort of training with the shotgun and rifle to become more prepared for SHTF scenerios in general. Yes, I am a chairborne ranger. :p

joneb

Beretta CX4 storm 9mm,40 s&w,45 acp. Kel-tec sub rifle 2000 9mm,40 s&w. Ruger PC9, PC4 9mm,& 40 s&w respectively. Ruger deerfield carbine .44 mag.