Buying a Rifle/Carbine While Living in a Heavily Populated Area

xrageofangelsx

Ok, I've posted about similiar entries before. I live in a big city (Cincinnati) and don't have much in the way of convient options to take advantage of shooting a rifle. However, the local rifle range allows carbines to be fired as long as the projectile does not fire more than 2000/fps. Any recommendations? I'd really like to get an AR type before another ban is enacted such as the AWB. However, if I had one, I just wouldn't have a place to shoot it. Any recommendations to feet my rifle desires?

I'm not necessarily looking for cowboy-type lever actions but Military Surplus or "Tactical" type weaponry like ARs. Not that I am a mall ninja or anything, I swear. ;)

Last edited:

FirstFreedom

If you're smitten with the AR idea.....

Well, I would get an AR with a upper in 9x19mm, .45 acp, or the like. Then, if you move closer to a gun club or real range, move to the country, or find a friend with some land and a backstop, you can then pony up the money for an additional upper in .223, 7.62x39, .243 WSSM, .25 WSSM, 6.5mm grendel, 6.8 rem spc, etc., at that point in time, for not a whole lot more. In that situation personally, I'd get an Olympic Arms in 10mm auto first, then add a .223 / 5.56 nato or 6.5 grendel later. Or, better yet, call the range and ask them if .50 beowulf is ok - it goes less than 2,000 fps. If it is, you might want to go that route from Alexander Arms first.

Tacoma

Well, the "std" AR caliber of .223 is out based on your velocity restriction. Same holds true for most modern centerfire rifle chamberings unless you handload them down. There are options though. Looks like a carbine in a rimfire or handgun caliber would need to work.
A .22 LR , .22 mag, 38spl, 357 mag, 9mm, 40S&W, 44 spl/Mag, 45 LC, 45 ACP or 30 Carbine will meet your velocity requirements. All are found in a variaty of actions and makes.
First, An AR with a 22lr top end is ALLOT of fun to shoot, great practice and cheap as dirt to feed. My AR wears one regularly. You can buy them in .22 lr or buy a 223 version and add a 16" CZ 22 upper like I did.

There are 9mm , 40 S&W or 45 ACP carbines too . Remington and Beretta make a nice one and there are still used Marlin Camp Carbines around. I have a camp 9 carbine and it's fun and cheap to shoot.

The problem with pistol chamberings is that you may need a pistol permit to buy ammo. Ammo is usually cheaper than rifle ammo though.

The 30 cal M1 Carbine (origional or replica) will work great too. They are reasonably accurate, fun to shoot and spit mil spec bullets at just around 1900 fps. Peep sights are nice too.

Lastly,Marlin and Winchester both make a 22, 22 mag, 38/357 or 44 spl/44 mag lever gun.HTH

dad23honu

Ruger Police Carbines

You should check out the Ruger line of Police Carbines. They come chambered in 9mm (Ruger PC-9 & PC-9GR) and .40 S&W (Ruger PC-4 & PC-4GR). The GR models come with ghost ring sights. The standard ones have an open sight (rear) and protected blade (front). These are really nice shooters and I think they look pretty cool. Very rugged.

keens

Sounds like a great excuse to get the hangun caliber lever action Marlin or Winchester rifle that I have always wanted...in .44 mag. for me to compliment my Ruger Redhawk. Take a look at the Winchester Trapper in .44 mag. before you buy...

Thirties

Pistol caliber carbine: Marlin model 1894C in .357mag

Marlin 1894C .357mag lever rifle will set you back around $370 at a chain store. Shoots .38spl or .357mag, tube magazine holds 9 rounds with easy side feed. Stock semi-buckhorn iron rear sight with hooded brass bead front sight. You can add aftermarket aperture sights or even a scope (makes the gun less handy and more delicate).

The Marlins break down for cleaning from the receiver with the removal of just one screw. Strong gun, time proven design.

Rifle has a short barrel (18.5") making it very handy (6 lbs), yet it tames the recoil of the hottest .357mag loads. The ammo for this rifle is available anywhere ammo is sold. It is really easy and fun to shoot. Bear in mind, this is a 100 yard or shorter type of rifle. This makes it quite suitable for your needs. I'd forget about the AR types unless you can shoot somewhere with open spaces.

I don't think there is anyone who ever regretted buying a .357 Marlin 1894C.

Lookie here . . .
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894C.aspx

HGKosteck

No place to shoot in KY?

I'd think there would be.

Heck, I'm in TX and still have to travel about an hour + to go to a range that will let me rapid fire, move and shoot, etc.....

Get a AR-15 Carbine...There really is no substitute.

You'll just need to travel more:)

esldude

Some lighter rounds in the .357 lever guns go over 2000 fps. Heavier rounds are only slightly below it.

If you don't wish to go with an AR I would suggest the Ruger PC9. PC40 is good too, ammo is just a bit more.

xrageofangelsx

First Freedom

Well, I would get an AR with a upper in 9x19mm, .45 acp, or the like. Then, if you move closer to a gun club or real range, move to the country, or find a friend with some land and a backstop, you can then pony up the money for an additional upper in .223, 7.62x39, .243 WSSM, .25 WSSM, 6.5mm grendel, 6.8 rem spc, etc., at that point in time, for not a whole lot more. In that situation personally, I'd get an Olympic Arms in 10mm auto first, then add a .223 / 5.56 nato or 6.5 grendel later. Or, better yet, call the range and ask them if .50 beowulf is ok - it goes less than 2,000 fps. If it is, you might want to go that route from Alexander Arms first.

I think this is what I might due. Being a relatively poor college student the 9mm or 45 ACP sounds like a good idea. I didn't know it was so easy to rechamber the ARs to configure such a variety of calibres. The .223 Wylde is the first upper I was looking at purchasing until I found that my accesibility is pretty limited. As to my understanding, the .223 Wylde will chamber both .223, 223 Wylde, and 5.56 ammo without any problems. I've seen the .50 Beowulf before.... I couldn't afford to shoot it. ;) As far as ARs, I think I might build my own from either Bushmaster or DPMS. They both seem to be affordable and relatively reliable.

xrageofangelsx

Tacoma

What did your CZ 16" upper in .22LR run you? That sounds like cheap thrills! Ammo is plentiful, cheap and fun to shoot.

The local shop here had a m1 carbine in 30 cal for about 250 bucks. It was in OK condition. I don't know if they would allow it since its not technically considered a handgun caliber. But they might let me if I called first and "okayed" the caliber since it is less than 2000/FPS.

xrageofangelsx

HGKosteck

I live in Cincinnati about 90% of the year as I am in seminary. I can literally see Kentucky from my window at night as it is just a stone's throw away. It's still pretty urban and I've yet to find a range to drive to, even on NRAs own website for searching. I lug my guns home with me every time I'm in Indiana for both fear that they'll get stolen when I leave and the fact that I can shoot them as much as I want when I'm in good ole' Indiana. Free military range at Camp Atterbury. ;)

xrageofangelsx

dad23honu

I'll check out the Ruger ones. Thanks for the input. They look like quality weaponry. Is Ruger lame on capacity levels by selling stunted mags? That will disqualify me for purchasing one. Unless metgar (sp?) will start making mags for them. They seem to have pretty reliable mags for my SIG 2340. :D

chadwimc

You can drive an hour north of downtown Cincinnati and shoot whatever you want at SpringValley(Ceasar's Creek area). Look 'em up on ODNR. They have a range master on duty, but are closed on certain days. Call first...

joneb

camp .45

I do like this carbine, it takes the same mags as my pistol :) although the open sights do suck, it is quite accurate. I've had good results w/185gr nosler jhp (factory seconds)and 7.2gr unique. I tried mounting two cheap scopes on the gun they both lasted about 30rnds. after that the pieces of broken glass and dangling cross hairs helped me realize the open sights are'nt so bad. before the optics failed I was able to print a three shot group @ 50yrds with all holes touching and a 5 shot group that looked like the 1st. this gun dos'nt kick much at all, but the reverse impluse of the breech could make scoping it $$$. it's unfortunate that Marlin discountinued the camp line.

Last edited:

FirstFreedom

Ok, then...well, for poor college student, instead of AR, you might look at a poor man's 10mm carbine/pistol combo like I did - pick up a Glock 20 at a gun show for $375-$400, then shell out right about $300-$325 for a Mech-Tech upper in 10mm for glock, and so for $700 give or take, about the price of a plinker .223 AR, and much less than the Oly 10mm, you've got both a pistol and a carbine. (but no compatibility later with an AR lower of course). I threw a red dot on my 10mm Mech Tech, and it's an accurate little hootennany, and would work as a CQB rifle - I've got lots of 15 round mags for it. You're right about the Wylde chamber - good luck. :)

phatspeed7x

Hi-point 9mm carbine.

If your looking for a very afforable, and rugged carbine get a Hi point carbine in 9mm. most gun shops sell the for $199.99, and they are a blast to shoot. Plus they come with a lifetime warrenty, and many positive reviews at the website. http://www.mkssupply.com/

xrageofangelsx

Opening up a can of worms:

I don't want my fingerprints on any Hi-Points. :D :D :D

I kid. I'd rather not go that route, but I considered it. I read shining review after shining review.

I want something with more style.