Bushmaster

kcub

Once there was the ABC rule for buying an AR, Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt.

Lately it seems Bushmaster seems to be looked at as lower quality.

What changed other than many more manufacturers (and were most extreme high quality)?

I have one with a free float 16" barrel which I like the balance of better than all muzzle heavy 20" I've handled. It is MOA accurate with black hills ammo and has never jammed.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bushmaster now part of the Cerberus group? From what I've read, quality control from those companies can vary from quite good to not-good.

Road_Clam

I've heard both sides of Bush quality, me personally own two , and older 90's 16" and a late late 2007 Varmint. Both rifles perform excellent. I did have some issues with my Varmint 2 stage trigger but I learned that you just need to keep the trigger perfectly clean or it gets gritty on the take up.

shaunpain

Bushmaster was acquired by Remington, which is Freedom Group. I only have experience with one Bushmaster stripped lower that works just fine, but have no qualms with Remington products I own or have tried. In my eyes, Bushmaster still has a good reputation with solid firearms. I would assume that people who own Bushmaster rifles would agree.

ms6852

My brother loves his bushmaster. We've set up targets to 500 yds because that is as far as we can go on our property. It pretty boring shooting at that distance but the rifle is very accurate.

I think you get a lot of name droppers that buy more expensive rifle and if it is not a high tier rifle its crap. Well my crappy low level tier rifle an RRA,shoots sub MOA groups for a $1000 less.;);):eek:

Chainsaw.

^^^^this^^^^ Just like guys who buy wilson combat 1911 and then poo poo anything plastic. I have two rifles built on bushy lowers (1 upper) and they are just dandy. No quality issues.

Bozz10mm

I have no problems with my 2 year old Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman's Carbine. Fit and finish compare to my Premium PSA upper with PSA Classic lower. I only have about 550 rounds thru it, but it's been flawless.

twister

I have a bushmaster m4. Runs fantatic. Very accurate weapon.
I have a Windham weaponry lower on a target crown 6.8. It's incredibly accurate. Runs great. I'm a repeat customer...

Ibmikey

New purchase Bushmaster here, what's not to like? The "Doom and Gloom" boys do not like anything, I however have really enjoyed all my AR's from the entry level ATI Omni and S&W Sport to high end DD and Colt.

krinko

The ACR has to be the most hated Bushmaster rifle---

404769745.jpg

I have read every sort of negative remark while posting about this rifle on various sites---but these remarks cannot counter the experience of 4000+ rounds without malfunction and without lubrication.
-----krinko

tirod

In the beginning, there was ONLY Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt. That was back in the 80's and 90's. There were no other sources.

Today, Armalite is a Brand built by a different company, Bushmaster is a Cereberus subsidiary along with half a dozen others all built in the same Remington plant.

And Colt has to compete against FN and Remington for contacts because it's holding overseer is milking it for every dime they can get. It seems it barely got out of bankruptcy because of Sciens mismanagement. A more conservative Administration may have likely investigated on national security concerns.

Nope, what happened was a serious lack of capital reinvestment into the original concerns to keep their quality control up. With an open market with numerous competitors, the average buyer can get products that do as well or better. They have also learned that the military specification can be out of date or compromised by value engineering to prevent the contractor having to invest millions in new equipment. And specifications are just that - compromises.

So, now we get a lot more choices - from Armalite to Windham, and more. There are a lot who build and bid military specification, with more nimble corporate structures who can change their production faster with less expense to meet newer demands for different weapons - like 6.8 PDW's for Mid East security, or 7.62x51 rifles for a European NATO country's longer range requirement. They simply couldn't resurrect their old FNFAL's, and frankly they wouldn't have met muster as well. That water has passed under the bridge.

If anything, most of us avoid the ABC's now. Time passes, things change. What was the rule 30 years ago with autos or home construction is out of date now. Same with guns. There are some staple items that do well, but in the big picture it's different now, for good reasons.

My CCW gun is a 1911 9mm subcompact with no grip safety, my hunting rifle is a 10.5" AR pistol - and we discuss repealing the NFA. It's not 1985 anymore.

Quentin2

The old ABC rule now is the ABCDEF...XYZ rule as there are so many makers of good AR-15s today (including me). It's no longer the 1990s.

But back to the first three letters, I'd say B now stands for BCM.

jaytothekizzay

Most of the bashing comes from DD, and BCM fanboy types... Bushys may not be as refined as say a Billet set from Lewis Machine, but the ones ive shot hold there own. Most Milspec forged ARs are pretty similar in the fact that they all pretty much work.

TimW77

As usual, internet BS!

"In the beginning, there was ONLY Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt. That was back in the 80's and 90's. There were no other sources."

I've had AT LEAST ONE AR-15 and usually more in my possesion since the mid to late 1970's...

NONE from that time period were ArmaLites or Bushmasters.

Most BUT NOT ALL were Colts.

The remaining rifles were neither A, B OR C...

So obviously, there were other sources...:eek::D

T.

cslinger

I have old school windham bushmasters and have been very happy. They were bought back in the ABCRs of AR15 buying.