Bush Master M4 Barrel Question.

M4A3

Ok, I'll set my pride aside and admit I screwed up my M4 barrel when I took of the sight tower.(some may know what I'm talking about) :mad: :eek: :(

Any way, I dont want to go through Knights for a barrel. (them guys are a pain)

Could somone give me some information on the Bush Master "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR" barrels. Thay had NO information on them on there web site...:confused:

Are thay 16"? If not can I get them in 16"?
Are thay chrome lined?
How much are thay?

cmp_556_nato_19_hbar.jpg

Thanks for any help.:)

Christopher II

When you say 'screwed up,' do you mean 'damaged cosmetically,' or 'screwed up how it shoots?'

If you just dinged or scratched the barrel, don't worry about it. Real rifles have battle scars (and home gunsmithing can be a battle!)

If you messed up the accuracy, there are innumerable suppliers of chrome-lined 16" AR barrels. The Bushmaster barrels are all chrome-lined unless it says otherwise in the description. They are all available in 1/9 twist. This is probably the one you want. http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl16m4a.asp

- Chris

M4A3

When you say 'screwed up,' do you mean 'damaged cosmetically,' or 'screwed up how it shoots?'

Both "A" and "B" :(

Hay Chris, is the barrel you showed me chambered for 5.56mm?

I went to AR 15 .com and in there vast welth if information I found out that Colt, Bush Master, and a few others are main supliers for military M16 and M4's.

I am looking for a Bush Master barrel thats stamped "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9" etc... I've seen some NEW Bush Master M4 rifels that did not have any stampings on the barrel. I dont know if thay are still "military" barrels and just not stamped or that are differnt than the ones that are for shure "military" and stamped "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9" etc...

Also what does "HBAR" mean? Is this the "M4" profile?

Kharn

Wait, didnt you say on a previous post that Bushmasters arent mil-spec? Why buy something that isnt mil-spec? :confused:

Kharn :rolleyes:

Christopher II

SR_15 -

I think, but am not 100% sure, that all Bushmaster barrels are chambered for 5.56mm NATO as opposed to .223 Rem (obvious exception for their 1/8 twist match barrels and such.) You might call them and make sure before whipping out the credit card.

According to Bushmaster's FAQ, they stamp all of their barrels with "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9" (or 1/7") H BAR". HBAR means heavy barrel, a particular type of barrel profile, but they imply that all their barrels have a similar stamp, even ones with different profiles. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Mil-spec doesn't mean it will shoot any better or worse, and Bushmaster has a good rep for quality. Just get a Bushie M4 16" barrel and shoot it.

- Chris

Joe Demko

Before we get crazy here buying new barrels, let us review. Cosmetic damage is, well, cosmetic. Blow it off. Just removing your front sight assembly could not have damaged the accuracy potential of the barrel unless you did something insane in the process. No part of removing the sight assembly should have damaged the bore or the crown or bent the barrel. I strongly suspect that what has happended is that when you put the sight assembly back on, you put it on canted. I've assembled three of the things from parts, so I am not completely unfamiliar with the piece. Before you buy a new barrel, I suggest you consult a competent AR smith and see about everything being assembled correctly. This shouldn't require a new barrel. After you get the thing corrected, PLEASE confine yourself to fieldstripping. It distresses me to see good rifles get buggered up by folks getting "screwdriver happy" (or "drift punch happy"). You invested a nice chunk of change in that rifle, now treat it with a little respect.

Andrew Wyatt

I don't know if you want to compromise your perfect M4 with such an inferior barrel. :rolleyes:

Bushmaster barrels are chrome lined, but their non military M4 profile barrels are full diameter under the handguards, as opposed to the skinny portion the military barrels have to accept the m203 (which you can't own anyway)

this makes them somewhat heavier, but more durable.

boing

Agree. It might be a readily fixable problem, no new barrel needed. Suck it up and spill, with all the embarassing details. I've done it, and I've screwed up a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have be ruining. :)

M4A3

Well the back pin walks outward and for some reason the barrel has become loose. (I can twist it side to side).

For only 185.00 I'd rather have a good peace of mind than try and fix this one. Also when I found out that my barrel I have now wasn't chrome lined, I was kinda dissapointed.

Are any of you're M4 barrels stamped "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9"

uglygun

Yes, both of mine as well as many others I've seen.

http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/barrelmark.jpg

If you are getting a new barrel, don't forget to get an action block and a proper barrel wrench. A good torque wrench would be a good idea as well.

In industry, I'm betting that the pins get press fit into the front sight housing by a hydraulic press as opposed to being pounded/hammered into place. Hydraulic press would provide a more consistent result in an effort to prevent just what you're finding out, pins that were pounded in can be prone to walking back out or jarred loose.

That being the case, I agree with others that this isn't beyond hope. Original barrel can be retorqued provided the right tools are obtained(barrel wrench, action block, torque wrench), then probably get a new set of front sight base pins. With barrel removed take out the old pins and ditch them, take new pins and have a machine shop press the new pins into place once the front sight has been placed into proper position. Reinstall barrel and torque to proper specs.

M4A3

uglygun, could you show me on the Bush Master web site wich barrels you have?

I'm betting that the pins get press fit into the front sight housing by a hydraulic press as opposed to being pounded/hammered into place.

4 shure!! :)

Does anybody know if this barrel is stamped, chambered for 5.56 and chrome lined?

yankytrash

SR,

Please remember that "milspec" is only the lowest government contractor bidder for a mass-produced item. I'd not be too enthusiastic about anything regarded as "milspec".

Rovert

SR_15_M4, I just bought the below gun, with the barrel you're looking for. The barrel IS chrome lined, and it is the same identical barrel they provide the military, with the exception being that they install a mini-Y at the end to conform to ATF regulations that require a minimum of 16" on civilian rifles. Bushmaster even claims to use better steel in their barrels; where most manufactuers use 4140, they use 4150, the chamber is chromed (not the case with many others)... well, I don't want to sound like a Bushmaster ad, so let's just say it's a great rifle.

Please remember that "milspec" is only the lowest government contractor bidder for a mass-produced item. I'd not be too enthusiastic about anything regarded as "milspec".
I totally disagree with this. There is a significant difference between the actual spec, and the price someone will bid to do the job. The military technical standards are actually quite high, and much research is done to define a specification, although I'm sure if you look hard enough, you're always going to find an exception to every rule. My observation is that in modern times, post cold-war, it's the longevity, quality, and reliability of equipment that drives the decision. Furthermore, we also need to seperate the concept of the specification, and the actual manufacturing contract. Those are two seperate things. Yes, the government buys from the lowest cost provider... just like we do when we shop for something. But it doesn't, by inclusion, mean that the specification itself is unworthy.

I agree that Bushmaster needs to update their website to be more clear regarding the HBAR designation. Obviously, when that was written, the newer barrel profiles were not in existance yet.

Mine is stamped:
B MP
5.56 NATO 1/9

M4A3left.jpg

AR-10

If it was me, I'd have a gunsmith repair it.

Putting a barrel from a different manufacturer on your upper will reduce the resale value of the rifle, even if it is a better barrel.

If you want a chrome lined barrel that badly, a spare upper from Bushmaster would be an option. It would run $350.00 more than a barrel, but if you take into account the depreciation involved with changing your Knight from all original, it might be more practical.

One other thought. The most bang for your buck might be this. Repair it ($100.00?). Sell it or trade it even up for a preban Bushy. Then you get the chrome, the lug, collapsible stock, and a real flash hider.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

yankytrash

Rovert,

How many buttons have come off your cammie pants, versus how many have come off your Levi's buttondowns?

How accurate is a Bushmaster "National Match", versus a Bushmaster "Milspec" or "Standard" barrel?

What's better - a water purification tab, or a canteen that has a water filter right on the nozzle?

Would you rather own a pair of Army skis, or a pair of K2's? (if you're not a skier - believe me, you'd pick the K2's if you were)

What's better for hiking, climbing, running, breathability, and dryability - a pair of typical Nike shoes, or Army combat boots?

What keeps you warmer - cammie BDU shirt, or a London Fog windbreaker? Which would you rather work in all day?

Which cleans and lubes better - CLP or Mobil 1 Synthetic?

Which would you choose for an advancing attacker if your life depended on it - 223 or 308?

Whats better for you, lasts longer, which is lighter to cary, and which tastes better - MRE or Hiker's Mountain Blend?

If going into a hot mosquito-infested jungle, a cold blustery snow-covered mountaintop, or a desert that's 110 degrees during the day and 30 degrees at night, would you rather have a "tent, two-man", or an MSR tent?

Would you rather have a wool army blanket to sleep in at night, or your comforter?

Do I need to go on Rovert, or do you get the idea? The fault does indeed lie in the spec, most of the time. Take it from a guy that receives government contract proposals on occasion, their specs are outdated and not worthy of production alot of the time.;)

Rovert

Yanky, I also bid on government jobs, and yes, they are sometimes out of date. However, we need to bear in mind that many bids are spec'd to consumer, or commercially available, products. One specific example would be Trijicon's TA01NSN, which was made for the armed forces specifically for this service rifle, as an adaptation of an already superior product.

I'd consider your list to be some of those examples of exceptions. But those exceptions don't invalidate the quality of the AR15, and I think the Iraquis and Taliban would probably agree that it's an entirely effective weapon. Milspec does not, IMO, by definition, equal crap. Not all of the time, at least. :D

You're also comparing apples and oranges to make your case. A barrel designed specifically for target shooting isn't the same barrel issued for field service, no?

At the end of the day, the AR/M series rifles are in service all over the world, and Bushmaster makes one of the best.

Redlg155

If you change the barrel you might also want to consider Rock River Chrome lined barrels. Pete In NH, a dealer over at AR15.com has them in stock for $199.

AR15 Equipment Exchange Post

I had him rebarrel an AR for me and he did a great job. Price was VERY reasonable and he had it finished and headed back to me the day after he recieved it.

My rebarrel was a non chrome, they didn't offer a chrome earlier this year, but the new chrome lined ones are out. I will say that they are beautifully done and will match your old barrel exactly. They have the same looking pressed on flash supressor and M4 profile as your old barrel. The Bushy 14.5 barrel will have a Y comp..or worse...the dreaded AK brake.

As for Petes service...I've ordered numerous lowers and parts from him with super fast (same day if I call early) service and correct items charged and shipped.
603-770-2281 Give him a call if you are interested, he will definitely treat you right.

No matter what..Bushy or Rock River, you lose value on your weapon when you rebarrel.

Another option is to have the barrel retightened, new FSB pins installed and a repark. For this I suggest Kurts Kustoms over at AR15.com Industry forums. He has great prices for custom work. The only downfall is that you may be without your beloved rifle a month or so, but you keep the resale value of he weapon, although somewhat offset by your costs in restoring your rifle.

I personally would go with the Rock River.

Good Shooting
RED