Bullets sliding out of shell after reloading!

Yes. If he has a mandrel die body or some other means of expanding the brass before he runs it into the die, that will quickly reveal the neck's diameter. I use the half ball split expanding type small hole gages for this kind of thing. But as with any tool, it only helps if you have it on hand. It occurred to me belatedly that he could have slugged the neck of the die, too. But I hope he'll tell us what CH4D says?

Jeff2131

Dont buy used dies. The tolerances are so small, youll never know if its indeed worn out or not until its too late. Buy an rcbs once and use it for life. Once its worn or breaks they will replace it free. Rcbs has been nothing short of amazing for me since ive been reloading. I also reload .308win i have a two die set and its a .308 win FL set. Save yourself the endless stress and aggrevaition and just spend the money for a good new product backed by a good supportive company.

KBP

Bullets sliding out of shell after reloading

Cabelas came thru for me! Last week I ordered a new set of .308 dies and today they came in. I removed the primer decapper and ran the shells thru the sizing die. Problem solved! The new die set from Lee sized the shell including the case neck and the bullet now had to be run thru the next die to be seated! The bullet fits nice and tight like it should be. No need for crimping. For some reason, the C&H dies must have been; worn out, for cast bullets or for some other .308 chambering. Funny, it just said .308 on the dies! When I hear back from C&H I will post that their findings are! For now, I have loaded up the box of 20 with Nosler 150 gr Boat tail ballistic tips. I am shooting a new to me Tikka T3 Lite stainless steel rifle so I am starting at 41 gr. of IMR 3031 to see how it shoots. Finally, the fun begins! :D

" 20 with Nosler 150 gr Boat tail ballistic tips. I am shooting a new to me Tikka T3 Lite stainless steel rifle so I am starting at 41 gr. of IMR 3031 to see how it shoots. Finally, the fun begins! "

I just did the same a few months back with my Tikka T3. In my book it states I got a really tight load of 1/2" @ 100 Yards from OAL of 70mm (2,755")...and 42 Grains of IMR 3031....Federal Primer...

Happy loading

Jamie

KBP

Bullets sliding out of shell after reloading

Final report- findings from C&H factory tech.- 1) dies are over 50 years old 2) dies are not worn out and in perfect condition 3) expander button is OVERSIZED- will replace with proper size expander 4) tests and measurements show dies work proper and are within specs. 5) since my shells don't hold bullets after use of dies, my shells must be too thin at necks. My response- The shells I used are once fired Remingtons and Winchester Western shells. My new Lee dies resized the shells perfect and no issue holding bullets after reloading.(did NOT crimp) Since I used the C&H dies without the expander button, the over sized button was not the issue or the problem. I have reloaded for about 40 years and never ran into this problem with Lee dies, RCBS dies or Lyman dies. Conclusion- I will avoid C&H dies and NEVER BUY used dies again! Thanks for eveyones input. Anyone need a used set of .308 dies? HA HA!

Jim Watson

I had a similar experience.
I found that sizing thin walled .44-40 took little effort with little or no lube, but tended to scratch steel dies; even tumbling was not getting all the grit off.
So I paid a premium for a CH sizer completely coated in TiN. It is a beautiful gold color and sizes brass with even less effort and no lube. But it does not size them down enough for good bullet pull. CH CS told me to anneal the brass. For match rifle, sure; bulk pistol and carbine, no way. So I just polish the scratches out of my steel die every once in a while and move on.

ronz

I just ran into the exact same problem
Bought some used equipment that came with a brand new looking set of RCBS 308 dies and some old lee 308 dies
I already had a set of lee dies but given a choice of course I used the rcbs
my bullets didn't fall trough but I could move the bullet after seating
sized over 100 but only made about 4 put them aside to pull later and took a different gun to the range
but now I know why there was 2 set's of 308 dies
I went down and ran 1 through the sizer without the deprimer and it sized the neck back down
and in a box of extra stuff there was a lyman ratchet for a lube sizer but no other casting stuff
at least now I know I have a set of dies for loading cast:)