Bullets for big game?

reloader28

Thats interesting. We never read anything about Bergers, but always figured they were a hard bullet to go that far and penetrate bone.
Thought about trying them, but already had other loads that worked good.

solocam72

Reloader28, you might really like the bergers, they are a very precise made bullet with a high B.C. and highly sought after by a lot of the long range shooters, I found them to be finicky when I worked up a load with the 168 grain hunting VLD in my 7 Rem mag, meaning I had to play quite a bit with seating depth to get them to shoot good in my rifle but when I found the sweet spot they shot really well, I just wasn't impressed at how bad they come apart (blow up) any bullet that blows apart sending shrapnell flying through an animal will leave substantial bloodshot and therefore waste of meat especially shoulder shots which is most of what you see on tv, it looks impressive to dump a big bull elk in his tracks as if he were struck by lightning, I myself see it in a different light, guess I'm old school, I shoot for behind the front shoulder and try to take the lungs out with a premium bullet that expands yet retains most of its weight. Again its different strokes for different folks! Doesn't mean my way is the right way, or the only way, but its my way and so far I've had really good luck with the bonded core nosler accubond bullets, they shoot really well and perform very well on game, and by chance I get in the shoulder the bullet expands normally twice its size and drives through, yes they will bloodshot also in a case like this but its minimal compared to a bullet that blows up

hooligan1

I use Accubonds in every rifle I own except the 3006, I use the 150 grain Ballistic Tip for that rifle, (it shoots them very well) I load the 140 and 160 grain Accubond for my 7mm rem mag, as well as 150 grain Ballistic Tips and Partitions.
My .270 win shoots the Accubond bullet extremely well, and it's my confident "Go To" rifle for most anything. I have noticed that with the three deer I've taken with the 130 grain Accubond is that penetration at a broadside deer, ( through the ribs) was always a pass through and the animal expired quickly.
I just finished a new loading for that rifle, with the Barnes TTSX and H4350, but I haven't taken anything but paper as of this writing, but it shoots this bullet extremely well.
I load 100 grn Sierra Gamekings for my daughters .243 Win, and this bullet penetrates well on deer size game, and it's extremely accurate.
CONFIDENCE!!!! I say again CONFIDENCE!!! is the most important factor for me in my hunting bullet, and these I have confidence in.:)

jmr40

They all work. You just have to understand HOW they work and HOW they should be used.

The Bergers and similar will probably give you more DRT results, but are not a good choice for shooting a fleeing animal in the butt and expecting penetration. Put one in the lungs and they kill right now. Since they expand well at lower velocity and have very good BC's they are good at longer ranges.

The TTSX's need speed to work. They are a good choice where you have to shoot larger game with a rifle traditionally considered bordeline for the job. As long as they are used at moderate range before velocity starts to drop off they do the job.

The accubonds retain 80 percent or more of there weight when shot in the same wood.

The TTSX's will typically retain 100% or darn close. This means that a 165 gr Accubond will actually weigh about 130 grains after impact. You can start with a 130 gr TTSX, shoot it 300 fps faster and end up with the same penetration and expansion. Shoot the 165 gr TTSX at the same speed as the 165 Accubond and expansion will suffer, although penetration will still be good.

For most people, shooting most game at normal ranges traditional jacketed bullets still work just fine. But overall I agree with you. I'd probably choose the Accubond as the best overall of the premium bullets.

old roper

I've been hunting Co 35yrs now next year be 36 and taken fair amount of deer/elk and antelope here. I've only recovered one bullet always had entrance/exit hold never matter if it was partition or Rem bullet.

One bullet I did recover was from 5x5 buck dropped in his track used 30-338mag with 165gr AB. Recovered bullet weight 80.8gr and I do post also on Nosler site so did get some answer from me shooting him too close to velocity etc and some that post worked for Nosler.

This year I used 270 with 140gr TSX for my buck tag and was toss up between that and 140gr AB. I never did recover the TSX so can't comment on what it would of weighted.

I haven't stopped using AB.