Bullet Talk

603Country

Back when I started reloading (in the 80's), I was using Nosler Ballistic Tips in the 220 and the 270. These days it's still mostly Ballistic Tips in the 270 and the 260, but SST's in the 308. The 223 gets 40 gr Ballistic Tips until I switch to pig medicine and then I use 65 gr Sierra GK's. And I've just switched to the 55 gr Sierra GK in the 220. I want to see if the GK is a bit tougher than the Ballistic Tip for pig medicine. Just fyi, the Sierra 55 gr GK in the 220 shoots to exactly the same spot as the 55 gr Nosler BT with the same powder quantity, brass, and primer. Totally interchangeable as it applies to accuracy.

pathdoc

Being a fan of the Lee Loader these days makes me a Hornady fan as well, if only because they put a cannelure on just about every bullet they make in the calibre I shoot. It makes setting the seating depth easy without having to reach for the calipers.

That being said, when I was still full-length resizing everything and loading on my press, I fed my rifle a steady diet of Sierra Match Kings and it liked them. I've never seen Speer bullets in my calibre (.312) on the shelf in any store I shopped in, and with plenty of other choices available I never had the motive or opportunity to chase after them and try them.

I'll tell you what I think of Woodleigh the first time I go moose hunting.

stu925

I almost always reach for Sierra bullets before I try anything else. I've had great luck with Sierras and for accuracy they're awful tough to beat. The Gameking 140gr .264" SPBT puts down whitetails like there's no tomorrow in the 6.5x55 Swede.

Stu

Brotherbadger

Handgun lead: Missouri Bullet Co and Rocky Mountain Reloading. Great bullets for a low cost which helps me go to the range more.

For my rifle, i use Sierra and Hornady. They seem to be accurate, but i'm only using them for hunting and not match.

AllenJ

but what is the one bullet brand that you are the most happy with?

I have used Speer BTSP's, Sierra Gamekings, Hornady Interlocks and SST, Remington Corelokts, Nosler Partitions and Accubonds, and Barnes X bullets and TTSX's to take big game with. With the exception of a single Speer bullet I've really been happy with all of them.

Rimfire5

My favorites are based upon results

For .308 bolt actions out of the top 10 bullets based upon 719 measured groups, 5 are Sierra Match Kings (1 -175, 2 168 and 2 150 grains), 4 are Nosler Custom Competition (2 - 155 and 2 168) and 1 is Berger - 150).
Of the top 5, 3 are Sierra Match Kings (1 ea - 150, 168, 175), 1 Nosler (155) and 1 Berger (150)

For .223 bolt action, for the top 10 bullets based upon 372 measured groups, 5 bullets are Nosler Ballistic Tips (40 grs), 3 are Sierras ( 2 - 52 gr SMKs, 1 - 50 gr # 1340), and 2 Bergers (1 50 gr # 22406 and 1 - 52 gr # 22408).
Of the top 5, 3 are Nosler BT 40 grs and 2 are Sierra 52 gr SMKs # 1410.

The results vary slightly with particular rifles, and more than one .308 and .223 are represented. But the general trend is the same across most of them.

Well made bullets that are manufactured to high tolerances, shoot more accurately and I think that is why the three manufacturers are consistently at the top of the list.

Last edited:

tobnpr

Sierra SMK, Hornady Amax, Nosler CC...so far...all match target bullets, we don't hunt.

Would have tried Bergers, but $$ :eek: Might need to still since Hornady has discontinued some of their VLD's and others are near impossible to find.

fatwhiteboy

.22-250 I use 52gr HPBT SMK

.270 is accurate using 130gr Coelokt but when I hunt pigs in a lead free zone, I use 140gr Barnes TSX with excellent results.

.308 168gr or 175gr SMK, Lead free I use 168gr Barnes TSX.

hooligan1

I buy far more Nosler products than any other but I can dig me some Sierra Gamekings, I'm also trying the Barnes TTSX, 130 .277 bullets this season, but I will have a shell belt full of Accubonds just in case the Barnes fails to impress.

hooligan1

Well it wont ever be same, I'm still waiting for surgery date but it wont hinder my shooting...;) Been practicing fairly regular but.. just got internet hooked up at new apaprtment, so here I am.