Bullet Talk

taylorce1

I was thinking today which is pretty dangerous, but what is the one bullet brand that you are the most happy with? For me I'd have to say Sierra, I pretty much use every brand of common bullet out there. However, I've always found Sierras easy to find an accurate load without much fuss.

As long as I don't get crazy with the speed their hunting bullets handily dispatch game. If I feel the need for a premium bullet I reach for a Nosler Partition, the just flat out work as well. Even though I've had core and jacket separations with a few Sierra's, the jacket made it to the off side before the core left it.

So make mine Sierra with a dash of Nosler for most of my shooting.

jimbob86

I like Sierras as well ...... and Hornady ...... well, Speer makes a good cup and core BTSP as well ..... they all work pretty well, actually ......

bamaranger

agree

Yeah, got to agree, shoot more (rifle) bullets from Sierra, and am always pleased with their accuracy too. Would have to say the Sierra Match Kings are the most affordable, accurate match bullet going. And the flat base Pro Hunter has been accurate and deadly for me as well.

Some of my favorites: -.30-180 PH/RN .30-175 MK, .30-150 PH, .311 -150 PH .270-110 PH, .22-52 MK. Just went and counted, there are 21 green boxes on my bullet shelf.

I don't find them everywhere though. A big store owner in my area said that Sierra insists you buy so many from them at a wack, and he won't do it. Dunno about that, but he never has any.

Buzzcook

Probably 90% of the bullets I've loaded have been Hornady and 90% of those the basic 150gr .308 SP.

They work well on deer and I've used them on targets out to 600yds.

I did have fun with some 200gr Sierra Matchkings that I was gifted. But 100 bullets isn't enough to make a solid judgment on.

Most of the rest a thing I pick up at yard sales or similar. Right now I have a small coffee can of generic fmjs to load come winter.

FrankenMauser

Most happy? Nosler. (And my own cast and swaged bullets.)

Most used, with overall satisfaction? Hornady.

For commercial bullets, I have everything, from Barnes to Woodleigh, in my reloading room (at least 24 brands, with a quick count, off the top of my head). But, Nosler and Hornady have given me the most satisfaction.

An honorable mention would be Speer, for their varmint bullets. I know everyone loves to talk about all of the "new" varmint bullets on the market, but Speer's basic varmint hollow points have always thoroughly impressed me - particularly the .277" 100 gr HP, .224" 52 gr HP, and .224" 40 gr HP.

Been there

For accuracy- Sierra Match Kings , particularly .224 52gr / .264 120gr / .30cal 168gr.
Hornady .243 87gr HPBT.
For hunting - Sako .224 50gr Hammerhead
Hornady .224 55gr SX / .243 87gr HPBT
Sierra .264 120 Match King / Game King
Hornady 7 mm 139gr SPBT

Mobuck

When I started reloading 45 years ago, Hornady, IMR, and CCI were the only brands locally available. Those brands did well for me and I've stuck with them for the most part. Nosler Partitions will always be on my loading list and Ballistic Tips have a solid position for varmints/deer sized animals.
Over the last decade, I've branched out and use a wide variety of bullet brands/constructions to better suit what I shoot. Even though Sierras are made within 120 miles of here, I haven't used them a lot but when I did/do, they work fine.

tahunua001

I'm a speer guy. limited experience with nosler has been less than sat. hornady is alright but never found a load that works in any of my guns. sierra is great for accuracy, poor for bullet construction.

TRex99

I always used Speer the most because they always seemed to be available when I started hand loading 25 years ago. The two stores nearest my home always stocked them. I've taken several mulies with their Grand Slam bullet.
Nowadays, I use Nosler Accubonds for hunting.

Panfisher

I have had great results with all the Noslers I have used, whether Partitions or one of the variety of ballistic tips. Also I love the Hornady's and have nothing but great success with Barnes bullets. Honestly I can't say I've ever really had a problem with any brand, though.

Grizzdude

Been using Berger bullets for my 338 lapua but recently I've been playing with some Cutting Edge copper solids and they are really performing quite well, holes touching at 200 yards.

Bamashooter

I reload mostly Sierra bullets. Very high quality at a good price most of the time. My 55gr FMJ handloads shoot like match ammunition compared to factory made 55gr FMJ ammo.

For my 223's I use 53, 55, 60, 65, and 69gr Sierra bullets.

For my 30-06's I use 150 and 165gr Gameking and 155gr Matchking.

Occasionally I use 55grfmj Hornady when I cant get sierra.

NWPilgrim

I have had great results with all the Noslers I have used, whether Partitions or one of the variety of ballistic tips. Also I love the Hornady's and have nothing but great success with Barnes bullets. Honestly I can't say I've ever really had a problem with any brand, though.

I echo these thoughts! I get 1/2" groups with Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler in 68-69 gr .224 and 168 gr .308". Nosler is cheaper in their 1,000 ct box and Hornady in the 100 ct box.

A big surprise was the Remington 165 gr .308" Corelokt us very accurate for me.

Barnes makes a superb hunting bullet.

The only substandard bullet I have loaded are Winchester 64 gr SP. Can't get them to shoot well at all.

kawasakifreak77

In my limited reloading for rifles, it seems that Sierra Matchkings shoot the best, accuracy wise. In fact, it seems hard to make a bad load with 'em!

I use Hornadys the most because they're available & less pricey. They work okay.

The Speers I've loaded shot damn near as good as the SMKs, cost less than the Hornadys & expanded beautifully. All around, my favorite bullet, wish I could find more!

taylorce1

I like many other bullets as well, and use them. I really started using them because where I first started buying all of my reloading supplies sold them. The local WalMart where I bought my RCBS Master Reloading Kit only carried Sierra and Nosler bullets. The biggest thing I didn't like about Nosler was they sold half as many bullets in their boxes at 2/3 the price of the Sierra's.

Now I shoot a lot of Nosler's today because of the ability to buy seconds. It makes the price of their bullets a wash with Sierra, Hornady, and Speer in most cases. While I've shot Barnes I've not found that they guarantee a kill any better than the other premium bullets out there to justify the cost.

I'm currently shooting Berger bullets in only one rifle, but that is because besides the DTAC bullet there aren't a whole lot of options for the 115 grain weight I want in my .243 rifle. However that rifle gets a steady diet of 107 grain SMK as well.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I use Hornady, Nosler, Barnes and Sierra.

I don't shoot enough Sierra at this point to really comment. The Hornady have always been very good in terms of accuracy and performance on varmints.

The Nosler LF I use seem the least accurate I've used in .243/6mm but the .224 version in .22-250 are remarkably accurate. The .224 bullets measure 0.2242, while the 6mm/.243 measure 0.2430 or even 0.2429, I'm guessing that's why as all my other bullets measure no less than full caliber and usually 0.0001-2 over.

I like the Barnes bullets for deer. The are plenty accurate enough, sub-MOA at 100 but I never shoot for groups except to sight in.

I really couldn't pick "just one" as my preference for big versus small game is different. If I absolutely had to, I'd go with the accuracy on the varmint bullets and use the GMX for big game, so I'd pick Hornady.