Bullet Puller Recommendations

MarkCO

I have 4 gallons of toss outs in a 5 gallon bucket. I have three bullet pullers, and I don't like any of them. 380 cases mixed in with 9mm, small primer .45 and 10mm, crushed cases, peeled jackets or coatings, did not pass case gauge, etc all mixed together...I don't know if 4 gallons over the course of 1.1M rounds is good or bad, but it is what I have.

At some point, I will have to properly dispose of 5 gallons of scrap, or pull bullets, make the primers inert and sell the brass. If I could figure out how to properly label it and get the local PD or FD to take it, I would, but they know me. :)

44 AMP

Staff
It has happened to people substituting press shell holders for the collet that comes with the hammer, but that's the only place I've heard of it

A root cause analysis of that would show operator error due to insufficient training, And or "complacency" resulting in disregard for safety rules and instructions.

Bottom line, incorrect parts, incorrect assembly = user caused failure.

can't blame the inanimate tool for that failure. The tool that screwed up is alive. :rolleyes:

cdoc42

My experience with both the Hornady system and the traditional inertia system is a matter of quantity demand and time. I have a 9mm factory round with a primer seated backward. Either system should work without danger. After I get the bullet and powder out, what to do with the primed case is another matter.

When handgun rounds bulge and won't chamber, either system works. I have two rifles in .270 with different chamber sizes so fired and resized cases fit back in one and not the other. Reloaded rounds brought this to my attention, so knocked-out bullets from 20 rounds is faster with the Hornady system. Transfer the charge to a fired empty case, resize the original without the deprimer, save the bullet. Dump the charge into the newly resized case, seat the bullet, and go. That can't be done with the interia puller because you do lose some powder in the handle along the way.

44 AMP

Staff
That can't be done with the interia puller because you do lose some powder in the handle along the way.

I've never had that happen. What the heck are you doing to get any powder in the handle, ever???

If you have anything like the one I do, and all the ones I've seen are pretty much the same, if you are losing ANY powder, ANYWHERE then YOU are doing something wrong.

tangolima

Google and you will find incidents that didn't involve shell holder. All I have read, the round went off when the hammer impacted the anvil, not before. It doesn't fit the high primer + shell holder theory.

But anyway I use the RCBS puller whenever I can. The hammer is there to assist.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RC20

I have geared up with protection and abused primers to see how far you can push them.

It takes a lot deliberate to get one to go boom other than in a primer pocket with a good strike..

44 AMP

Staff
My "hammer" puller has a solid handle and no direct contact with the interior of the pullet where the cartridge goes.

Still waiting for an explanation of your equipment and methods that allows you to "lose" powder into the handle.