Bullet numbers

Doodlebugger45

Yeah, for most of the steps like cleaning, depriming, sizing, priming, and expanding you can stop whenever you feel like it and it's no big deal. The dies don't change overnight, so you don't have to readjust them.

However, when it comes time to start throwing powder and seating bullets, that's when it's critical for me to make sure I have the time and the focus to finish the job. It takes awhile for me to get my powder measure adjusted just right, get my scale calibrated and settled down, etc so I don't want to do it all over again the next day if I can help it. And once I throw the powder into the case, then there's no way I want that case to sit any longer than necessary before seating a bullet. If I'm going to be doing 100, then I throw the powder in all 100 one after another with no distractions and keep the same procedure until I'm done. And then after visually inspecting them all to assure the powder level looks about right, then I immediately seat the bullets. It would annoy me to no end to leave cases charged with powder setting out overnight without bullets in them.

Farmland

When I start the powder, seating, crimping I finish everything that is ready. I will check every 10 round for powder weight and OAL. So I don't let my powder site in the measure or keep the dies out that long.

My steps are a little different. I load the powder with the powder measure on a stand then take that round then seat the bullet/crimp. I repeat this process until I'm done.

Note: I do a visual check of the powder on each round prior to seating the bullet.

This works for me.

All cases were cleaned, sized, deprimed and primed in another session.

I seldom if ever have to make adjustments with the powder measure during the session. The same holds true with the seating die when loading jacked bullets. On rare occasions I have had to clean this die when loading lead bullets to keep the same OAL.

Slamfire

I will crank away for 30 minutes to three quarters of an hour. By then I am really bored.

I hate reloading, that is why I do it all the time.

I need professional help..................:D

Shoney

Slamfire

GOOD NEWS:
There is nothing wrong with you psyche! Your love of pulling a trigger far outweighs you hate for pulling a press lever. So you bite the bullet:D and reload knowing you are going to have a bang up time later.

BAD NEWS
My bill is 5000 bullets for that advice!:cool:

NWPilgrim

When I take a break I treat it like I do a gun I have set down. I do not assume I remember anything correctly.

My "come back to the press" routine (takes about 3-5 minutes):
- Review my notes on planned bullet weight, OAL, powder and powder charge weight

- Review data manual section to double chek my notes are in line with manual data

- Make sure I have the same components on the bench as specced in my notes

- Run a dummy round through to check OAL, crimp and finished case mouth OD

- Run several powder charges through to settle in and then weigh a charge to verify it is what was specced in my notes

- Start loading!

My notes are usually recorded on a Ziploc bag that I will use for putting the finished cartridges in. Also recorded in a notebook, but the bench reference between sessions is the labeled Ziploc bag (1qt freezer). I put the Ziploc over the powder measure between sessions to keep it labeled as to what powder is in the measure as well.

BigJimP

I reload for handguns ( in 6 calibers - 9mm to .44 mag ) and shotguns in 4 gagues. I use progressive presses ( Dillon 650 for metallic - MEC hydraulic 9000 HN's for shotshells ).

In terms of when I reload - when I get down to less than 10 boxes of ammo for a given caliber, I reload. Then I will usually load 50 boxes or so / or about 2500 cartridges / box them up in plastic boxes - and stack them on shelves in my shop. To load 50 boxes - and replenish primers, check rounds going into boxes with a case gague, etc takes 6 - 8 hours probably over 3 or 4 days usually in my spare time. After I finish the 50 boxes, I break the press down / clean, lube etc - and set up for the next caliber.

Shotshells - I dump all my reloads into 8 gallon rubbermaid stackable containers with lids. Each tub holds 10 - 12 boxes of 25 in 12ga ( and more in 20, 28 and .410 ) / and I usually load 2 tubs full and then shut the press down.

On the handgun ammo - I make a date note on a paper label on each box. I then log the load data into my laptop into an excel spreadsheet - dates, powder, primers, bullet data, etc... On shotgun tubs - I put one label - and log same info primers, wads, powder, etc into spreadsheet.

My loads and chosen components don't vary much / sometimes I'll change bullets on handguns / or maybe powders on my shotshells - but I tend to stay with what works the best. I use Hodgdon TiteGroup for all my handgun loads / and one powder per shotshell gague ( clays for 12ga, Intl for 20ga, Univ for 28ga, Lil Gun for .410 ).

My procedure when I start my press / like if I went home tonite, and wanted to run 10 boxes of handgun ammo - I weigh every powder charge for 1st 10 rounds / if they are dead on goal - then I only weigh about one in 10. I run the 1st 10 rounds thru a case gague - just to be sure - before I run volume. No kids at home now / shop is locked and off limits to grandkids unless I'm in there - so nothing is disturbed ....but I check it anyway. Same thing on shotshells. My shop is in my basement / so humidity is low and constant / heat is moderate - so not a big change based on the environment.

I do all the steps on the progressive press - so no individual steps. I do segregate dirty brass by caliber / then clean / then inspect again and put in clean tubs by caliber. On shotshells - I inspect when I get home from range / dump them into 30 gallon tubs for storage and run them thru as needed. I don't clean shotshells - when they start to crack, I dump them / or if they get real nasty looking after 15 or so reloads, I dump them - and cycle thru some new hulls.

On shotshells - each press is gague specific. Since I reload on a hydraulic / pump on floor - press operates with a foot pedal ... I have 2 presses, with cutoff valves on bench at one time / 12 ga stays on left - the press on the right alternates depending on what gague I want to reload. I shoot 28ga a lot for Skeet 75 % / 12ga 25% of the time / 20 ga and .410 maybe 10%.

Gunforall

BigJimP

Absolutly impressive. Your attention to detail seems to be flawless, almost creepy:eek: Thank you for that great post.:D