Bullet Casting 101

Reloader28,

I also own the LBT hardness tester, but wanted to try the Lee because it derives the number from the definition of BHN. I was hoping it would be more accurate. Instead, the LBT told me some commercial cast bullets that claimed to be BHN 16 were at right around that hardness, while the Lee told me they were BHN 21. Trying it on other alloys ranging from pure lead to Linotype also got me numbers that were too high.

To be fair, I haven't tried to calibrate the spring force on the ball. Been waiting until I have time to put a strain gage on the press I use it with. I've done the computations from the BHN formula, and if the spring is accurate the numbers say it should be working, but it isn't. And if mine isn't, I would assume others may not be, either.

tomon

Is there any printed instructions on installing gas checks on Cast Bullets? I must have a couple thousand that were sold to me prior to me knowing enough to say......Hey, I think these aren't load ready!

Beagle333

First, you seat them squarely, like this:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201576-Super-simple-way-to-seat-gas-checks-perfect-every-time
If you don't have a couple of seater stems, you perhaps can just snap them on with your fingers and tap the bullet on the desk, or lightly with a small mallet to seat, if it fits the shank really well..... but this is not always the case. Every shank is just a little different, depending on mold size, alloy, temp of casting, etc.

Then run them through a Lee push-thru sizing die to crimp them onto the bullet. That is the simplest way.

If you have a Lyman/RCBS lubrisizer, the technique is a little different. Let us know what equipment you plan to use. :)

Sonofagun1911

Great post, very detailed. I have the same mold as you, can you please how me some pictures of how deep you seat your casted bullets for 9mm. Are you suppose to seat the casted bullets so that the shoulders or those strip lines not exposing, aka like a FMJ bullet?

dahermit

Great post, very detailed. I have the same mold as you, can you please how me some pictures of how deep you seat your casted bullets for 9mm. Are you suppose to seat the casted bullets so that the shoulders or those strip lines not exposing, aka like a FMJ bullet?
The post if five years old...zombie post. Who is bringing these things back to life? The information in the original post was from 2009...talked about using wheel weights from tire shops, something that here in Michigan (and other states), is a thing of the past.

5whiskey

To be fair it is stickied, so I could see someone responding to old posts.

Sonofagun, you may want to post a photo of your cast bullet in the general reloading forum and ask again. There are tons of photos of cast bullets in this thread, so I'm not tracking your exact reference. I can say it is very common to seat the boolit so that no lube grooves are visable.

Don Fischer

I am wondering, if you have a 180gr cast bullet fired from a 30-06 with a muzzle velocity of around 1800 fps, how much difference will hardness actually make in how well the bullet will preform on impact?