Built Like A Tank….

ZEBRARANGER

I've had my P90DC for many years now, its solid and reliable. Its been a known issue, but dont use the mags with metal followers, they gouge the feed ramp.

Skans

Yes, the P90 was built like a tank. Good quality gun for the money, and it is often overlooked. Since I prefer 9mm's, I wouldn't mind having the P89 in my stable. Would have to get it for the right price, though. They don't tend to appreciate all that much over time.

Gas Bag

If I can find a P-90 or a P-97, I would darn sure consider getting it. I like a gun that is tough and can handle +P .45auto.

JustJake

Built like a tank ... Just picked this up from my FFL. Ruger P90 .45. Snagged it on GB for a bargain price. Stoutest semi auto pistol I’ve ever owned, I don’t think you could ever wear this thing out.
It should be a "tank," if you understand the history of the P90's development.

Ruger's initial P90 prototypes were engineered to withstand the pounding of 10mm ammo because that was intended to be the gun's original chambering, until the .40S&W appeared in 1990.

Ruger canceled on offering a 10mm model, and the large-frame P90 was then rechambered for the low-pressure .45acp. Another model was offered in .40S&W.

Bill Ruger shouldn't have been so short-sighted. :rolleyes: ... Like Glock with their G20/G21, and S&W with their 3rd Gen 45XX and 10XX guns, Ruger should've have completed his 10mm P90 project and then offered that model in both 10mm and .45acp.

Instead, he drank the "10mm is a dead round!" coolaid being served up by the late '80s/early '90s gunzines, ... and the rest is history. :rolleyes:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Bill Ruger shouldn't have been so short-sighted. ... Like Glock with their G20/G21, and S&W with their 3rd Gen 45XX and 10XX guns, Ruger should've have completed his 10mm P90 project and then offered that model in both 10mm and .45acp.
Although I've heard it claimed a few times, I'm not so sure about the P90 being intended for 10mm.

For one thing, there used to be an ex-Ruger employee on the Ruger forum who denied it.

Second, Ruger Sr. had sort of a thing about the 10mm.

I recall him being asked about chambering the P90 in 10mm in an interview. I found the quote of his response--here it is:

"We would be able to make it (10mm P-Series Pistol) at the drop of a hat, but with as much as we have to do, I don't really feel like making it.

And as a matter of fact, I must say that I'm a little bit offended by these firearms (cartridges) that have exaggerated performance.

You know, why stop at the 10mm, why not go on and make the thing a .45. I mean it gets to be kinda to the point of bearing on the absurd, and the 10mm is just about there."​

lee n. field

Although I've heard it claimed a few times, I'm not so sure about the P90 being intended for 10mm.

For one thing, there used to be an ex-Ruger employee on the Ruger forum who denied it.

Went by the nom-de-internet of "Coffeepot", if I remember right. He also (again, IIRC) said the P90 as made would not hold up to 10mm.

------------------------------------------

The P90 is fine for what it is, a full size, DA/SA hammer fired .45.

I sometimes contemplate finding a modern kydex IWB for mine and actually carrying it. But, money is finite, lifetime is finite, and much is ahead of that.

Last edited:

hdbiker

I got a P95DC 9mm in a deal that I really didn't really want. Kept it a year or so and put a few hundred rounds threw it. Accurate as you would expect and it always worked