Built Like A Tank….

mk70ss

Just picked this up from my FFL. Ruger P90 .45. Snagged it on GB for a bargain price. Stoutest semi auto pistol I’ve ever owned, I don’t think you could ever wear this thing out.

Cyanide971

Nice score and like you said, built like a tank! Had several P95’s and a P93 DAO in the past, great “little” handguns. [emoji23]

HighValleyRanch

Oh, kinda cool. I always thought the 9mm version was too clunky for the caliber, but I like that chunky .45 look. Wonder if it would take .45 supers?

Forte S+W

Very nice, the Ruger P Series is really underappreciated, as most inexpensive firearms tend to be.

HighValleyRanch said:
Oh, kinda cool. I always thought the 9mm version was too clunky for the caliber, but I like that chunky .45 look. Wonder if it would take .45 supers?

Depends on what the frame is made of. If it's Aluminum, then probably not, but if it's Steel then it probably could, so long as it was properly modified.

Fortunately, .45 ACP is already plenty potent enough for practically anything, unless you're going on a fishing expedition in Alaska, but in that case you'd probably want something even more powerful than .45 Super.

Drm50

I never likes Ruger P series but I would say a way better pistol for your money than many others. I’ve had 9mm and 45s and got good marks to give them. I’ve got small hands and they were to bulky for me. I herd rumor they did very well in govt. trials.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Ruger did some really unorthodox testing on the original 9mm design when it first came out. Things like cutting away parts of the slide where it locks to the barrel, threading a bolt into the barrel and then firing the gun. It held up to everything they threw at it.

Sgt Pepper

Nice score. My only problem with the P90 is could Ruger not find a less attractive grip? I know that Ruger prides itself on perfecting the utilitarian tank look, but come on.

Mosin44az

Massad Ayoob liked the P90. Claimed it’s super accurate, that he won a shooting contest with his police issue P90, when his 1911 went down. IIRC

tallball

They are or were a bargain for the money.

I got my beat-up P90 police trade-in DAO for a super cheap bid on Gunbroker, like $150 or something.

I shot it, liked it, and snagged a 9mm version and 40 caliber version in nicer shape for $200-$250 apiece.

They are good quality pistols and I doubt I will wear one of them out in my lifetime.

On the other hand, their triggers aren't the best and I don't end up taking them to the range much.

So inexpensive HD weapon or "truck gun"? Perfect. Range toy, not so great if you have fulll-sized pistols in the same caliber that are more fun to shoot.

lee n. field

Nice score. My only problem with the P90 is could Ruger not find a less attractive grip? I know that Ruger prides itself on perfecting the utilitarian tank look, but come on.

Hogue still makes grips for it. Rubber overmolded, and wood. Uncle Mike's made a rubber grip that's pretty nice, if you can find it.

Chuck Norris

I looked up the specs when I bought mine to see if it was rated +p,it is rated +p+ which I had never heard of at the time. This was ab out 15 years ago.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Yeah, Ruger was really proud of how strong the gun was. The manual for the 9mm P85/P89 pistols had a very impressive comment about ammunition.

"The Ruger P-Series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm x 19, .45 ACP or .40 S & W ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."

JohnKSa

Administrator
DA triggers on the PSeries guns were not great. I use one of mine for dryfire practice. Really gives the finger a workout.

The SA triggers were ok, especially after some use.