Bug-out bag gun

makarov

I bought my daughter a CZ Scout rifle, small but not too small that an adult can't shoot it. I'm 6'3" and shoot it fine. Very accurate. If you can't have a folding stock rifle. I also have a Ruger 10/22 with a side folder. Great option compared to the takedown 10/22 which I think is stupid. My side folder is almost the same size and is ready immediately.

psyfly

I have, in a bug out bag, a Springfield Armory Mil-spec with addition of a Kimber .22 lr conversion.

A zip-lock bag with 40 rounds of .45ACP and 200 rds of .22lr goes along, as well.

A little heavier than the .22 set-up alone, but I think the versatility is worth it.

The .22 conversion is sufficiently accurate for small game.

simonrichter

the chiappa is a fine example how the simple, not oversophisticated things still do their job... (and no, I strongly doubt whether it is available here... The authorities in Austria seem to be obsessed of potential poachers, so little folding rifles have the same classification as, say, a howitzer)

There is a nice review on gunblast.com's youtube channel.

simonrichter

What .22 ammunition is readily available there? What prices are you looking at?

there is no problem with availability whatsoever I'm aware of. I do not burn too much stuff, but whenever I needed any resupply in recent years, it used to be available. Prices are around EUR 7,- or 8,- for a 100rd brick, around USD 10,-

High Velocity

Are you able to obtain good quality high velocity .22 LR ammo? Hollow-points and solids? (CCI Stinger and Velocitor, or Remington Yellow Jacket and Viper 22) With those in a long-barrel revolver and a youth sized rifle a lot of needs can be met.

P.S.
Have you considered these Crickett firearms .22 firearms?

single-shot pistol
http://crickett.com/crickett_22_pistol.php

single-shot youth rifle
http://crickett.com/crickett_22_LR.php

Last edited:

simonrichter

Are you able to obtain good quality high velocity .22 LR ammo?

reckon I would be, yes. My current .22 option does not eat hot loads (or so the manual says), so I'm not 100% positive, but I fancy at least of of the mentioned should be available, thanks for the advice.

40-82

Bill Deshivs,

From my experience a CB cab from a 4 inch barrel made very little sound. From a 6 inch barrel it was virtually silent. It seemed to me the sound of the hammer falling was louder than the cartridge going off. On the other hand you may have the advantage of having actual hearing, and with my poor level of hearing I could be wrong. Good to know.

From a rifle with an ordinary length barrel I find 22 shorts almost totally silent. I am wrong there too?

lamarw

I am rather remote already. As my profile indicates, I live on 40,000 + acre fresh water lake with 7,000 aces of forest surrounding my house. Therefore, I have all the firearms, ammo, and fishing equipment readily available. I can fish right of my dock/boathouse.

Here is thinking outside the box. (I hate it when my cats think outside their litter box, and I suspect some will hate this idea.) It is stamped on the barrel as a 1950 production Polish Flare Gun. It fires 26.5mm flares. I have also acquired barrel inserts to fire 12 gauge flares (not safe for 12 gauge shotgun shells), .45 Colt or .410 shotgun shells, and .22 rim fire rounds. Total investment approximately two hundred bucks.

Hopefully the pictures will come up showing what the satchel will tote. The total weight is around 5 & 1/2 lbs. I could actually get additional rounds and/or different configurations of rounds if one chose.

Attachments

• Polish2.jpg
    Polish2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Polish1.jpg
    Polish1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Polish3.jpg
    Polish3.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 33

lamarw

Yes, they are rifled and are sold by Kennesaw Cannon Company. The official name for the insert barrels is "Sub-Caliber Device". Although, the .45 Colt bullet will at times keyhole at a distance beyond twenty yards. It makes a nasty looking hole in paper. I am not sure whether a .410 slug will do better or not.

There is also another company out there I understand who sells .38 sub-caliber devices. I don't recall if it was just .38 or .38 special.

The nice thing is you can buy the flare gun and all the inserts without using an FFL. It is only when you insert one of the sub-caliber devices into the flare gun barrel does it become a firearm.

The Polish Flare Gun itself is very heavy duty and rugged. It is all steel except for the plastic grips.

Hal

From my experience a CB cab from a 4 inch barrel made very little sound. From a 6 inch barrel it was virtually silent
Different brands of CB caps have different sound levels.

The CCI ones, in my experience, are the loudest.

You can hear them pretty well out of a 4" or 6".

kraigwy

I'm not bugging out, except every now and then, (or twice in the last twenty years) we had to evacuate do to forest fires, but I had my camper full of stuff, included ALL MY GUNS), and we lived at the fair grounds with other refugees.

Anyway, since I always carry a J frame (642) in my pocket, it would still be there if I bugged out.

Unless I'm hunting, in which case I have a rifle, when I'm fishing, riding my motorcycle, ATV, horse, or just running around, I still have my pocket revolver.

When carrying a big gun, you'll find it left with the pack or other camping gear while you're setting up doing camp chores. My revolver is in my pocket.

Even though I'm not hunting I may pick up a rabbit or something to supplement my camp food. A little 38 works quite well and I don't have to hunt it up when I spot a rabbit while doing camp chores.

The difference is hunting rabbits with a snub nose and full size pistol/revolver is PRACTICE.

Garycw

I have two bags. One is a back pack with lots of stuff, meds, tools etc & a S&W model 10 that is usually at home and a smaller get home sling bag that has less stuff, but is always with me. I don't have a gun in there because I Always have two with me. Usually a 45acp & a .380

simonrichter

I don't have a gun in there because I Always have two with me

lucky livin' in The States. :) Ain't gonna happen here, on the contrary, the EU is working on banning privately owned firearms as such over the long term... :/

Garycw

lucky livin' in The States. :) Ain't gonna happen here, on the contrary, the EU is working on banning privately owned firearms as such over the long term... :/

I'd be ready to bug out of Austria. There's people here that would like to see that route taken also :(

simonrichter

I'd be ready to bug out of Austria. There's people here that would like to see that route taken also

while there are MORE rights than can be taken away in the US, the inclination seems to be the same all over the world. Most of the political elites, regardless of their color and ideology in particular, seem to drift away from the ideal of individual liberty as such. I still hope that it will be the strong activism of US people to save the day again, because the Europeans will just wait and see what the authorities rule...

Anyway, drifting away from the original issue - though the changes in society and the necessity to keep a BOB in ready are not that unrelated, after all...

Garycw

Living in certain areas would be foolish not to have a BOB. Living in or near a flood zone,areas prone to wildfires, mudslides & hurricanes. A gun or weapon should diffidently be part of that. One of the main things is think light you may end up walking a long distance.my smaller sling bag has a concealed holster built into it, that can be easily accessed from the outside. It's a Red Rock and could accommodate up to a 1911.
That would not be my choice of gun for the bag though. More like a Sig P938

NWCP

I would be inclined to take a Ruger Single Six in 22WMR if I were you. I don't no how available .22 magnum is in the land down under, but as a hunting pistol, or self defense weapon it would be a sight better than a .22LR. It's not all that big, is dependable and accurate.