Brush

WVMountaineer

Complex leaves, serrated or smooth edges, leaf shape, a typical or typical branching, deciduous, etc... ???????? There was plenty of vagueness in your description. There are over 300 species of trees in WV alone. Many in the size range and the description you described. It might be species growing out of it's normal place. Meaning it might be something that grows 40 foot high in Maine but, stunted here. People ARE just trying to help. But, to do so, we need pics. Without them we are just throwing lobs shots at it, because one little difference could easily separate it from another dozen of similar species.

I'm lob shooting at it here but, thinking it is some type of Alder. God Bless

Gunplummer

If I get out on a hike yet this winter I will take the camera. It is not a tree. It is brush, not a bush. It is not mountain laurel, which is a woody plant. It is not some obscure plant, it grows all over the mountains in the north east. I tried looking for pictures of it, but apparently it is a weed and nobody cares about it enough to photograph it.

Gunplummer

It kind of sounds like "Pasture rose". but I have never seen it in the lowlands. I have waded through it in early bow season and never seen berries on it. That leaves out most of the list right there.

buck460XVR

I have waded through it in early bow season and never seen berries on it. That leaves out most of the list right there.

Low bush Blueberries and Huckleberries would be done and gone without a trace by mid summer. Both will have red foliage in the fall and grow only knee high.