Brush

Gunplummer

I have seen this brush with a reddish, purple look when out deer and grouse hunting for as long as I remember. I have seen it in PA, Maryland, WV, and Kentucky. It normally grows about knee to waist high, but I have seen it 5 feet tall on rare occasions. I usually see it at higher elevations. Before Fall/ Winter it has small green leaves on it, and grows pretty thick. We always just said "In the redbrush" or "Over in the purple stuff". I have no idea what it is. Anybody?

mete

Pictures ??
Dogwood tree grows about 25'high and 25' dia. There is also a dogwood bush having a different flower and red stems.

buck460XVR

Dogwoods get a lot taller than knee high

You're right, but so does Sumac.

Around here, what is commonly called "Redbrush" is Red Osier Dogwood. Seldom gets much taller than head high. We also have what some call "Blackbrush" which is really Tag Alder.

bamaranger

scrub oak

I've spent some time in the Appalachian ridges, and "redbrush" or buck-brush as some called it was always a scrub oak.

Its particularly common in the thin poor highland soils and surface mined areas of Pennsylvania. An area in central Pa known as "the Barrens" was lousy with the stuff.

Gunplummer

This is not a tree. I know what an oak tree looks like. This is brush. I have seen it in WV, but usually at higher elevations. The leaves are only about 3/4 of an inch long. I would say it is most commonly only knee high. I will try to find a picture of it.

bamaranger

SCRUB oak

The scrub oak, or bear oak, appears as brush, and rarely gets more than 6-8' tall and usually less. It is dense, thick stuff, and extremely common throughout your area. I am betting that it is indeed your brush.

Did you look at the pics I suggested? It is not "tree" sized.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by Gunplummer:

I live at the bottom of the Poconos and know what scrub oak is. People "Knee high", not moose knee high.

Folks are just trying to help. You asked about something while giving a vague description. WAGs are about all you are going to get without a better description or picture.

After over half a century of hunting, I know most everything in the woods where I regularly hunt. Still, I come across something now and then I haven't a clue about. Years ago one had to go to a book to reference, nowadays a Google search with images is about all one needs.

Gunplummer

Nothing vague about the description. Knee high, thick brush, with a reddish/purple look to it in the fall. The leaves are about 3/4 of an inch long and drop in the fall. It seems to grow at higher elevations and spreads through the root system. I have seen acres of this stuff in PA and other eastern states. I can believe that no one can correctly identify the stuff, but nobody can even relate to it? Is no one hunting the mountains anymore?