Broken 1911 Guide Rod

Jim Watson

The Combat Master and Supergrade are short barrel guns without barrel bushings.

Then they are not really 1911s and what they require is not the same as an accessory sold for a standard gun that does not have to have it.

As for Mr Marvel, my local gunsmith likes the long rods too, and I humor him on the "range guns" but any serious weapon of the type has GI.

polyphemus said:
Read the patent application.John M. Browning didn't write the field manual.
Do you seriously expect that every person who buys a 1911 is going to search out and read the patent application? Why would/should they? If I had not encountered the term you used in more than 45 years of shooting and tinkering with 1911s (starting with the U.S. Army), I think it's safe to conclude that the term you insist is the only correct term is not in common use among "1911 people," and probably would not even be recognized by most.

polyphemus

Do you seriously expect that every person who buys a 1911 is going to search out and read the patent application?
No but you had to ask:
Where does Browning call it that
And if you do not recognize the terms John Browning used to describe his inventions then use your own.

polyphemus said:
And if you do not recognize the terms John Browning used to describe his inventions then use your own.
The OP did use his own term, and you basically called him an idiot for not using "the" correct term, found only in the patent application.

TailGator

I can honestly say that I have never read a patent application for anything I own. Instructions usually, but patent application never.

James K

Member In Memoriam
There is another problem with FLGR's - they gave us the Series 80 and all those firing pin blocks. When a 1911 with an original guide rod is dropped on the muzzle, the slide can move back (even with the safety on, there should be some movement) and absorb enough of the inertia that the gun will not fire. But with a FLGR, the guide rod is solid against the frame and there is nothing to absorb any energy, so the firing pin can move forward and fire a chambered round. Yes, a gun with the short guide can fire if dropped on the muzzle, but it takes a long drop, and if the safety is off, it is nearly impossible.

Jim

polyphemus

It was my impression that the full length guide rod was invented around 1962
by Maxwell Atchisson and the Swartz system went back to 1937.
Regardless of of the fact that I consider both of them totally useless I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how the Swartz came as a result of the
full length guide rod.

smee78

Any way, if you two would quit the p-i-s-s-i-n-g- contest:rolleyes: If you still want to use the same style of guide rod I would call Para customer service and tell them what happened. They may send you a replacement for free and even if you want to change it out for another style it would be nice to have an orginal if you decide you want to put the gun back to it factory condition. Also this is the first time I have ever heard of one breaking aswell.

madmo44mag

smee78 - great idea - thanks!

I ordered a Wilson Combat one piece stainless GI guide rod this morning. I already had the correct plug from another 1911 I sold long ago.

Last month I broke the extended mag release button and just got it ordered a few days ago and the the GR brakes.
Since most bad luck comes in three's what's next - LOL:rolleyes:

madmo44mag said:
I ordered a Wilson Combat one piece stainless GI guide rod this morning. I already had the correct plug from another 1911 I sold long ago.
Why won't a Wilson guide rod work with the Para recoil spring plug?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, polyphemus,

The Swartz system does date to the 1920's but it was dropped during and after WWII and largely forgotten until an incident in CA led to a requirement in that state for auto pistols to pass a "drop test" before they could be sold in the state. The Swartz system (in which the grip safety releases the firing pin block) was revived by some makers. Colt, however, was not one of them, and its Series 80 firing pin block is released by the movement of the trigger bow.

It is interesting that in testing the Model 1935 Radom, its designers found that it would fire if dropped on the muzzle; they replaced the solid guide rod they were using with a two piece rod having a spring between the pieces to absorb energy. That solved the problem, but I don't know if such a system would pass the CA tests, or if it has ever been tried by a 1911 maker.

Jim

polyphemus

It is interesting that in testing the Model 1935 Radom, its designers found that it would fire if dropped on the muzzle; they replaced the solid guide rod they were using with a two piece rod having a spring between the pieces to absorb energy. That solved the problem, but I don't know if such a system would pass the CA tests, or if it has ever been tried by a 1911 maker.
I think the domestic version is the famous Recoil Master.
Anyway I always thought the Radom had the compound guide rod but was not aware that the original design had a FLGR,it's then interesting that Maxwell
Atchisson was able to obtain a patent(yes I've read it) for it.he claims that it
prevents spring kink and smooths the recoil also of note his invention includes a
threaded weight that greatly reduces muzzle flip.
The guide rod/tube story is totally absorbing and mysterious and even has a
Group Gripper element which practically has the barrel riding the link but improves accuracy.Wonders never cease.

Aguila Blanca,

The original plug is for the extended rod, so it has a hole through it that will let dust into the gun when there's no extended rod occupying the hole. He wants a plug that has a solid capped end to keep the dirt out.

UncleNick said:
The original plug is for the extended rod, so it has a hole through it that will let dust into the gun when there's no extended rod occupying the hole. He wants a plug that has a solid capped end to keep the dirt out.
I understood his post to be saying that he ordered a Wilson Combat full-length guide rod. However, you have a point -- he didn't specify if he ordered a conventional or full-length guide rod.