"Break-in period" for Sig

Tim Carpenter

My gun dealer tells me that the slide catch issue with my gun is not an isolated case. I'm told they have recently had to deal with 6 Sigs in 40 cal that had 9mm slide catches in them. This is a big deal. Don't know what the situation is with your waiting period but if the weapon is at the gun dealer, have it checked out now if that's a possibilty. This might save you some time & grief.

AK103K

Just curious here, but did the slide lock back when you drew it back before you shot it?

The issue your talking about is a common one for people unfamiliar with SIG's who tend to improperly place their thumb when shooting.

I believe the slide catch is the same for the P226, P228, and P229, regardless of caliber. The P239's do use a different catch between the .40/357SIG guns and the 9mm guns.

Tim Carpenter

To: AK103K

No slide lock with an empty mag in the well.
After realizing maybe a problem, fired 10 rounds eyeballing my grip / thumb placement with the range master observing as well.
It isn't my thumb, it's the gun.
My gun dealer tells me he's had a number of Sig slide catch issues with the 40cals.
I really appreciate him tellng me that after I bought the gun.

AK103K

An easy fix is to call SIG, they are nice and will have the right answer.
I agree.

Tim,
I think your dealer is either mistaken on it being a 9mm part instead of a .40 part, or just handing you a line. Like I said, I believe they all use the same part and have the same part number, regardless of caliber.

Not saying you dont have a problem, but it sounds strange that it would fail a very basic assembly check test and still leave the factory. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Let us know how you make out.

Boris Bush

I just looked in my manual and the part is the same. Just call SIG and ignore the monkey behind the counter.

your magazine springs could also be in backwards, check them too

evan1293

Breaking in a gun is a highly technical and fragile situation. The uttmost in care and caution must be taken to assure a proper break in. Since we're all family here, I'll help a brother out and do it for you free of charge. Just mail your gun to me with 500 rounds and I'll get it back to you within a week.

Ok? Hello....? Okay.......ook..ah never mind. :eek:

ragwd

I agree with all the above posts that say, disassemble, clean, oil, reassemble then shoot. Now if you talk rifle break in around here you will get a lot of answers and some strong feelings about that.

44 AMP

Staff
No auto pistol should be considered reliable right out of the box

NO MATTER what its pedigree. Always shoot at least a couple of hundred trouble free rounds before trusting your life to it. Remember, it isn't just the gun, it is the gun AND the ammo, and you.

Yes, for the kind of money they cost, they should work flawlessly right out of the box, but in the real world, nothing is 100%. Even highly trained factory workers can make mistakes, and sometimes these mistakes get past the QC and out to the user. The complex variables especially including the ammunition make it a good sense practice to test out the gun and ammo thoroughly before trusting it for serious use.

Manedwolf

Do you have a SIG, 44amp?

While it's good to try it, yes, I don't know of anyone who has ever had anything but 100% reliability and accuracy right out of the box with them.

Yes, they're that good.

44 AMP

Staff
Yes

Manedwolf, I have a Sig (sort of). My Sig is a Browing BDA .45 (Sig p220 European) that I bought new in 1980 ($369), and it has been a favorite of mine for many years. It did function flawlessly right out of the box with Frederal 185gr JHP ammo, and the sights were dead on for that load as well. Over the years I have had a few malfunctions with the gun, everyone of them directly attributed to crappy ammo.

While I did have good luck with my Sig from the start, there is always the possibility that not every gun out there is as good as mine. Blind faith is fine when your life is not on the line, but if it could be, it only makes sense to test before trust.

I was, and still am a 1911 man, and I have complete faith in my old Colt, we have been through a lot together. I also have faith in my BDA, as we have also been through a lot together. Tested, proven, dependable. If I were to go out and buy an new .45 auto today (either Colt, Sig, or any other brand), I would expect good performance, but I would not count on it until I had proven it. Murphy is alive and well, and his little gremlins sometimes get into even the best made brands. So, trust, but verify!