"Break-in period" for Sig

EastSideRich

Just bought my first new pistol, a Sig 229 Equinox (and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival);
Are Sigs usually good to go out of the box? I've read about people having various problems with feeding etc. during the first few hundred rounds or so with some new handguns.
Is this for real, and if so why??
Also, any suggestions on anything I may want to do beside making sure everything is properly lubricated before I take her to the range?

Any insight or advice is much appreciated.

xrocket

Plus 1 on SMG

Just a small add... definitely clean up the mags inside and out before inserting into the gun. They have allot of gunk on them.

Manedwolf

It's a SIG. You take it out of the box, clean and lube it with operating lube, not the storage lube from the factory it comes in, and go shoot the center out of targets with it. :)

It's not a Kimber that will disappoint and need to be sent to a smith before it works right. It's a SIG. They just go.

The gun oil that comes with the Sigs, is that stuff intended to be used after cleaning in prep of the next range trip or is that a long storage type of oil.

I just got a Sig and cleaned it and shot it and I was thinking of oiling it up with the oil that came with it. I like the oil b/c it is a tad thicker than most stuff but I'd thought I would ask before I did it.

BigJimP

like others said - disassemble and clean it thoroughly ( including the mags ). I like Break Free as a a lube. But just clean it - lube it - and let it run. I hope you like it.

Para Bellum

all I have heared is that Sigs don't last much longer than 20.000 rounds. I have seen the following guns to 100.000+ rounds:
- Glocks in 9x19mm (factory ammo)
- 1911/2011 hand-fitted guns even in permanent 9x19mm IPSC Major use.

AK103K

all I have heared is that Sigs don't last much longer than 20.000 rounds. I have seen the following guns to 100.000+ rounds:
- Glocks in 9x19mm (factory ammo)
- 1911/2011 hand-fitted guns even in permanent 9x19mm IPSC Major use.
I heard Glocks and most 1911's were made in China using lead paint and tainted dog food fillers. :)

My Glock 17 didnt last 200 rounds out of the box, and failed twice more after return trips from the factory.

Pick 100 SIG's from dealer shelves, and 100 1911's from dealers shelves, and lets see which ones work without fiddling. ;)

If you add 100 Glocks, they too would most likely be right there with the SIG's. Hey, I had three Glocks, two of them worked. :)

Oh, and my Colts worked well for the most part, but even they often needed something to be "right".

bcrash15

must be sounding like a broken record now, but ya: clean (really well the first time to get the storage oils off), lube (really well the first time after cleaning off all the lube :p), shoot. Definitely remember the magazines too, like mentioned. I loaded a few rounds into one of my factory Sig mags before cleaning and they came out covered in goo.

The break-in deal comes from some guns needing a couple hundred rounds or so to "settle." The only thing really happening here is that roughly machined parts, burrs, or other small manufacturing issues are getting worn down enough so that from there on out nothing much will change.

Tom2

Don't forget to swab any crud out of the bore and leave it dry. Someone who is enthusiastic might some day forget that step I suppose. In some old guns with grease in the bore, that makes for a big seerpriise!

Tim Carpenter

Important!

I just bought an Equinox & have no slide lock after last round is fired. Had to send the gun in for slide catch lever replacement - had a 9mm slide catch lever installed from the factory! Gun was assembled August 2007. See my thread posted today.
I am also not happy with the way the grips join together on back... they don't pair up well. Grips screws loosen up easily, buy some Lock-Tite.
Read the Handling & Safety Instructions that come with gun before you shoot it.
I ran 1,500 new rounds thru it before going to reloads.
Maybe 2 or 3 ejection problems in the first 500 rounds but cycles well now.
Let me know how you make out when you get your rig.

EastSideRich

Thanks for the info guys, especially Tim.
I am still waiting for both my permit to come through and for the gun to arrive from Alaska - This has been a LONG week, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas or the last day of school. I'll have to post a range report on here and some pics on that other thread.

Thanks again to all
Good luck

MADISON

Break In Period

I have found, over the years, that to break in any handgun it takes between 500 and 1,000 rounds.

Hallucinator

I'm assuming that you cleaned and lubed it before shooting. The only time I had a problem with a new Sig was from a dented round. Check your ammo.

Sturmgewehre

I have found, over the years, that to break in any handgun it takes between 500 and 1,000 rounds.
That's how many rounds you should fire through a new gun that's going to be a carry gun to verify it works properly, but no gun should malfunction in the first 500 to 1000 rounds. If it does, it's not carry worthy in my view.

None of my Sigs have had any reliability issues since round 1 though 1000. Any properly made handgun does not need a break in period to make it reliable. If a gun requires X number of rounds to be fired through it before all the burs, tolerances, etc. are such that it's reliable then I submit that the gun was not properly assembled at the factory.

But yes, a carry gun should be throughly rung out before you trust it with your life. A range gun it doesn't really matter. If a gun bobbles in the fist couple of hundred rounds that's all it ever will be to me is a range gun. That, and it will be the first one on the chopping block when it comes time to trade a gun in.