Brass Rats

TXGunNut

Rainy Day Well Spent!

Too rainy for brass ratting...I mean a range trip today. Really wanted to shoot my Sharps but it wasn't all bad. Loaded 700 rounds of 45acp with my own cast swc boolits! Makes me smile to make such a nice pile of ammo from range brass and re-purposed wheelweights. Excluding boxes I just finished loading an 1100 round batch for about $50, and I'll reuse the boxes. :D

Attachments

• Rainy Day 001.jpg
    Rainy Day 001.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Rainy Day 002.jpg
    Rainy Day 002.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 48

m&p45acp10+1

I forgo the boxes. 3 pound Peanut butter jars work well for me. I love the first day or two after a rain. No one wants to pick up brass from wet ground. Last time I wnt the day after a rain. I picked up over 600 .357 Sig, and 400 5.7 FN cases for a friend of mine. The guys shooting it did not want to dig in the puddle to pick it up. I used a yard rake from the range shed.:D

jmorris

After TX State championship a few years ago I picked of 15 gallons worth of the 40,000+ round fired in about 4 hours.

The bag a nut is nice for flat areas

IMG00295.jpg

The nut wizard allows you to be selective in what you pick up and is a little more forgiving on uneven ground

IMG00296.jpg

The brass vac I built was how I picked up my brass I just rolled from crack to crack getting all of the brass the other devices couldn't pick up.

IMG00293.jpg

IMG00299.jpg

Mike / Tx

Heck I don't even stand a chance in this one. :D:D

Years ago, I think my best haul was around 6-700 pieces, and that was during the pre season madness. I don't even think I shot, I just walked down the benches and picked up after folks who were leaving.

I don't pick up anything I don't shoot so that makes it a bit easier. Course the calibers have added up, but if it's based off an '06, or 308, it goes home. I do however try and snag the assorted 45acp's.

Fox1

Yup, Brass Rat here too. :)
I pick up anything that is brass, including (some, if it's still shiny) .22 and .17 rimfire.

Any centerfire that is too tarnished or Berdan primed gets tossed into the recycling bucket along with the .22 and .17 rimfire stuff and all of my punched out primers. Proceeds from the sale of bad brass goes to purchase powder and bullets.

Any Boxer primed stuff in sizes that I don't reload for gets run through a universal decapper then cleaned, polished, sorted and bagged for sale or trade.

Tuzo

Glock bulge for brass rats

After shooting I hang around the Glock shooters and pick up their brass. I learned that most Glock shooters do not reload for various reasons. Their, now my, brass goes through a bulge buster from Lee Precision and I feel slightly smug and a little bit superior and also proud of salvaging otherwise orphaned brass.

orionengnr

The OP has me beat on quanity, but...

I am a "quality before quantity" type of guy.

I picked up about 180 pieces of 10mm about a month ago, and considered stopping on the way home to buy a lottery ticket...but didn't want to press my luck.

dickttx

I was lucky today. Shooting beside two guys who were throwing brass all over. I asked if they wanted it, they said no. More than a box each of .45 ACP and 9mm. One of my best days. I use the "range safe" time to go thru the brass buckets. Half a box on a good day.

awbrock

I have a simular "problem". I can't walk down to my target with out stopping and picking up fired bullets. I have a bucket for brass and a bucket for bullets that I take with me every range trip. Before taking the buckets, I'd just load the floor mat in my truck down with lead and brass.

Our range is mostly SC sand with red clay berms 200m, 150m, 100m, 50m, and 25m. I find lots of 9mm, 40 and 45 bullets on the long ranges.
Guess someone is praticing lob shots.

The hunting is always better after a good rain.