Brass cleaner

Jeryray

I have been mixing 1 capefull of Dillon polish to my crushed walnt every time I use it. Getting clumps stuck in my brass.

Was this only supposed to be used once for the batch?

Nosler guy

Run the tumbler with just the solution and no components for a bit to let the polish mix. Had similar issues when I dumped the polish in with the cases already in the bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosler guy

Maybe you've added too much after several times. I only put it in once and run it until my media is toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

condor bravo

Breaking up the clumps is a necessity as you have found out. But for best results insert your hand in the mixture as the tumbler is running without brass and break up the clumps with the fingers. One capfull per tumbling may be a little excessive after a while and then a capfull every two to four tumblings should do the job OK. Your judgement as to the frequency of adding the polish is probably as good as anyone else's.

condor bravo

For no particular reason I replace the media every six to eight months and then immediately add a half dozen or so cap fulls of polish and then another two or three caps every ten tumblings. I probably use more than necessary.

MarkCO

If you want to try something better, corn cob with the Lucas Oil Metal Polish and Tumbler additive is amazing.

robhic

This made me think about the last batch of media I got. Was a mix of corn cob/walnut shells with a jeweler's polish (dry powder) supposedly mixed in. I wasn't impressed after 1 hour so added some liquid polish.

But seemingly a good, dry, powder polish should work, ya think? I'm thinking something like pumice powder which is available from the hardware store for making surfaces painted, with the pumice mixed in, non-slip. Also for use in hand-polishing wooden finishes to a shine. (Woodworkers chime in here if pumice is the choice or "rotten stone").

I might it me some and try it....

If you break your media lumps up by hand, since tumbling media contains accumulated toxic, water-soluble lead compounds, you probably want to wear a disposable glove while you do it. Otherwise, you have to wash your hands extra carefully afterward to avoid spreading the contamination around, including using a fingernail brush before you eat anything with your hands.

I agree that it sounds like you may be using too much.

Nosler guy

I actually don't use my tumbler much anymore except for dirty range pickup and cases with several reloadings and carbon buildup around the shoulder/neck. I think you can use the media for just about as long as you want. It'll let you know when it needs to be replaced because it will start to take a very long time to clean cases. @ robhic there are several things people have suggested using as additives but most of them are too abrasive, pumice might be in that category. On a final note, that I forgot earlier, I throw in a couple used sheets of fabric softener when I tumble. They pick up lots of dirt and carbon and extend the life of the media. As uncle Nick mentioned I don't handle them with bare hands and dispose of them carefully.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

joed

I think you can use the media for just about as long as you want. It'll let you know when it needs to be replaced because it will start to take a very long time to clean cases.

My feelings on it too. I used the same media for more then 10 years once with no effects in the amount of time it took to clean brass.

I confess that I would take the tumbler outside and pour the media into a bucket on a windy day every so often to keep it clean.

When adding liquid polish to the media and let it run for about 30 min before putting the brass in.

Eventually I gave up on polish and found mineral spirits gave excellent results. Just add some to the walnut media and let it run awhile before adding brass. If you add to much of the liquid let it sit awhile and it will evaporate.

ShootistPRS

When the media takes more than an hour to clean brass I remove the media, replace it and add one teaspoon of silver polish paste. I wash the old media, dry it and add a teaspoon of silver polish for the next rotation.

It is hard to say how long it can last because after washing and drying it I don't see any difference between it and new media. It normally takes a half hour to clean the brass when new.

cw308

Been there tried it all. For really clean brass inside & out , wet tumbler with Stainless Steel Pins.

Gary Wells

As much as I love Dillon their polish is way too hiteck & hi-$$$ for me.
Nu-way auto polish (orange plastic bottle) instead of cap full (s), dribble it into the tumbler media in drops & run tumbler with media & polish only for 15 mins, then add brass. This works great for me for the last 25 yrs or so.

5whiskey

Nu-way auto polish (orange plastic bottle) instead of cap full (s), dribble it into the tumbler media in drops & run tumbler with media & polish only for 15 mins, then add brass. This works great for me for the last 25 yrs or so.

+1, this is exactly what I use. As many others have said, turn the tumbler on with just the polish and let it run for a few minutes before adding brass.

jetinteriorguy

Yup, add a capful of Nufinish every 3-4 times works great. I have found that paper towels work better than used drier sheets, seems to keep the media cleaner. I use the half sheet ones and all it takes is half of one cut into 3/4" strips.

viper12161

I have been using Frankford Arsenol stuff that came with my cleaner. Works awesome. Ran my .308 brass through last nigth and looks brand new. Granted I only have about 600 rounds worth of brass through it, but the media still looks good. I got a buddy who uses Cymbal polish...gonna have to try the Nufinish