Bought a gun because you had brass and/or bullets for it?

mehavey

Heck... I'd had five boxes of Nosler 220 Swift brass since the early `70s.... and finally got to rebarrel my Dad's 1952 Model-70 back to its original Swift chambering in 2005 or so.

Patience is a virtue that I rarely have otherwise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

oldscot3

Yes, absolutely. I found a bunch of Nosler Solid Base 270 bullets on a local sporting goods closeout shelf. They were so cheap I bought them all, seven boxes, since I had always liked them in my 6mm Rem. Thirteen cents apiece.

It was fifteen to twenty years before I ended up with a nice 270 to shoot them with. It's a Howa made Weatherby Vanguard. Those bullets over RL22 are crazy accurate in that gun. I like it so well I popped for a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock. I dropped the barreled action right in with no mods and it never missed a beat.

If that became the only weapon I hunt with from now until I'm no longer able, I think it's safe to say I have enough ammo to make it all the way. Heck, my son may be shooting those bullets twenty years from now. Providing of course, he can get primers. :D

Bucksnort1

Frankenmauser,

It's like fishing. The best time to go fishing is when you can get away. The best time to buy a gun is for any good reason. And remember, you can't won too many guns.

Crankylove

I haven't bought a gun cause I happened to have the brass, but I have bought brass, bullets, and dies so that I HAD to buy the gun.

Got my .22 Hornet and .358 Winchester that way.

I knew I wanted the 77/22 Hornet, but didn't have the money for the rifle at the time. So, I started buying components and dies, a little each paycheck, so that I would have to buy the gun in order to not have wasted the money on components and dies. Didn't want to blow the gun money on something else, kinda kept myself motivated to save money for the rifle.

Did the same for my Ruger .358 Win.

I think the next brass to buy is going to be.38-55...................then I'll be forced to buy a Chiappa Little Sharps, or Browning 1885 Low Wall.

Clark

The best excuse I have heard for buying a gun is, "But Honey, I don't have THAT serial number..... YET."

Whisper 300

Yup,
First time was when I found 17 Mach2 on sale for around 6 cents/round--bought 3000 rounds then went out to find a cheap (Thank God it was cheap) bolt action --still have 2800 rounds left. Not my finest moment.

Then I had acquired a couple of hundred of once fired 300 WM --had one built and I love it.

No one ever said I was too bright:D

Gary

Bayoubulldog

I'm looking at a magnum rifle because I have an extra 1000 mag primers. Lol... giggity (excuses excuses... always wanted a magnum)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chainsaw.

Brass maybe not so much, but I did aquire about 4000 6mm bullets in varying weights, also a set of 6x45 dies (different lot) so now Im considering building a 6x45 upper for my ARs. The terminal ballistics sound intriguing. But man are the barrels expensive!

Also, aquired a remington 788 in 222 rem (not mag) with an after market trigger and a beautiful bore. No stock, no floor plate and no trigger guard, looking for parts to it now but not having much luck.

RC20

I wanted to get into true target shooting, I went with 308 as it matched the bullets and primers I was using and some of the powders (30-06)

I then bought a project gun to get a 30-06 HB (Savage so I do the barrel work myself). the barrel is not in stock so its ordered.

In the meantime, to get to shoot the gun and work with the barrel change, I bought another 308 barrel and put it on the long action.

Ultimately I am going to get a 7.5 x 55 Swiss barrel to go on it as well (the 308 barrels will then swap around on the short action)

Not only a somewhat unusual cartridge, some powders cross, bullets do as do the primers.

Mike / Tx

Had a couple of friends give me closeto 2K of loaded factory and Mil Surp 45 ACP in assorted bullet weights. They sat around for almost a year, and I couldn't stand it any longer, so I went out and got me a Colt 1991 A1. Then the daughter was having issues with folks snooping around her place so I gave it to her so she would have a little piece of mind.

Two years later, I realized I was right back in the same situation as I was before so I went and got me a SS Colt Govt 1911.

Of course this is usually how things go with me. Either that or I start piddling around with neck sizing brass to see just what something might look like and well next thing you know I'm hauling another one home in some different caliber.