Both eyes open

shafter

Take up traditional archery. When you learn instinctive shooting with a bow you can apply the same principles to pistol shooting. Look where you're shooting and let the gun just become a blur in the sight picture. It goes against front sight focus doctrine but it's fast and it works.

mete

Shotgun also is more instinctive , focusing on the bird ! I took some serious coaching in shotgun to break me of the habit of the rifle shooters front sight system ! A properly fitting shotgun also helps.

Reader850

In my youth we didn't have any hand guns, but we had lots of shotgun bird hunting and playing with bows. Possibly that is why I never thought twice of keeping both eyes open when I finally shot handguns. It was normal for me already. And/or as PAX says, I may be strongly right eye dominant, making it easy.

SauerGrapes

I spend a fair amount of time shooting shotgun. Helped me with pistol shooting. Now it seems weird to close an eye. Your focus is off the bead and on the target.

A J

I tend to shoot one eye closed most of the time. Why? Just lazy, I suppose. Plus, I get better accuracy using the one-eye method. Go figure.