Bore Cleaner Shotgun

stuckinthe60s

nope...

spray cans consist of product and a propellant (carrier).
the propellant gives the illusion of oily slickness. the slick oily substance is a fluid dissapater, when it evaporates, all thats left is the product. wd40's product is a film.
I will put my 22 years of military aviation knowledge....protecting pilots and crew from corrosion of aircraft systems at sea, against any challengers.
my claim isn't my opinion. its known science taught and practiced by professional military personnel to this day.
I go with that. you go with whatever is trending on the internet or what you practice.
thank you.
nathen, always remember, truth isnt determined by greek style internet concensus.
good luck with your quest for knowledge.

Last edited:

FITASC

Google the MSDS and you can see its purpose and what is in it

This site's old software makes a copy/paste a lot more difficult than others

Recycled bullet

Has anyone used butter, olive oil or bacon grease to clean guns?

My cast iron pan is seasoned with a combination of all three and I can fry shredded cheese without it sticking.

I wonder if my black hawk would smell like cooking lunch in my kitchen if I lubricated it so... Periodically wiped down with a bacon grease soaked micro fiber rag at the gun club when the gun is hot..

Bill DeShivs

Crisco works well with black powder.
Here is the MSDs for WD 40:
3 - Composition/Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS # Weight Percent US Hazcom 2012/ GHS
Classification
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50% Aspiration Toxicity Category 1
Petroleum Base Oil 64742-56-9
64742-65-0
64742-53-6
64742-54-7
64742-71-8
<35% Not Hazardous
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 <25% Flammable Liquid Category 3
Aspiration Toxicity Category 1
Specific Target Organ Toxicity
Single Exposure Category 3
(nervous system effects)
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 2-3% Simple Asphyxiant
Gas Under Pressure,
Compressed Gas
Note: The specific chemical identity and exact percentages are a trade secret.

Here's a neat link:
https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

I fail to see how they have been making this stuff for over 50 years, if it's so terrible!

Last edited:

stuckinthe60s

last try and im moving on.

picture latex paint. its fluid and goes on wet. the water carrier dries leaving just the paint.

picture vasoline. smear on vasoline. it has no carrier. it remains oily on the surface.

wd40 = latex paint.

gun oil = vasoline.

regards. I report, you decide.

Hawg

Some of you ought to ask Mark Novak what he thinks of WD40 and firearms.

It absolutely does leave a hard residue when it dries up.

I’ll trust his judgment and continue to keep it away from my guns.

He's full of stuff that stinks. My dad used nothing but WD-40 on his guns for the last 20 odd years of his life. I got them when he died. There was no sign of varnish, hard residue, rust or anything else. They were just dry. A little lube and they were good to go with no stickiness. I use it on my black powder guns after cleaning with water. I've got a few I haven't used in years. They don't have any varnish etc. in them either.

HKGuns

He's full of stuff that stinks. My dad used nothing but WD-40 on his guns for the last 20 odd years of his life. I got them when he died. There was no sign of varnish, hard residue, rust or anything else. They were just dry. A little lube and they were good to go with no stickiness. I use it on my black powder guns after cleaning with water. I've got a few I haven't used in years. They don't have any varnish etc. in them either.

Clearly, ignorance is Bliss. I’ll stick with what he says.

Recycled bullet

Clearly, ignorance is Bliss. I’ll stick with what he says.
Respectfully HKGuns ignorance is not bliss.

I am certain you do already know this. I am making the assumption we are all adults. Are you trying to elicit an emotional response with your statement?

Ignorance is simply a state of not knowing, to be corrected through education.

Accusing him of ignorance is a kind of low method to prove the validity of your belief.

Bill DeShivs

I presented much experience with varied uses of WD 40. I showed a picture of what is left after 13 or more years of WD 40 residue being liquid. I pretty much consider that proof. I have even tested it, and shown the proof.
Others have stated the same thing.
I have yet to see anyone provide anything proving that WD 40 does all of these terrible
things.

I probably have as much experience using WD 40 as anyone-and that experience is extremely varied. Here's a little more:

I'm a hand (and machine) engraver. I lubricate my gravers with it.

I use it on buffing wheels in my shop. It makes them cut cleaner.

As I have said before- I'm a bassist. I keep a cloth with WD 40 on my amplifier and wipe my strings with it several times on each job. I'm good enough to be endorsed by the Dunlop Corporation. I've been playing professionally for 55 years. House bassist for Memphis Blues Society's weekly blues jam.

I'm a pretty big deal in the knife restoration business. I use WD 40 for a lot of things-including rust protection. I have well over $100K in knives protected with (guess what?) WD 40. I'm an authorized repair station for: KaBar, Colonial, Schrade Cutlery, Presto, Mauro Mario, Latama, Hubertus, Ritter, Grafrath, Falcon, AKC, AGA Campolin, Lepre, and maybe a few other knife manufacturers.

I was a custom gunsmith and gun dealer for many years. I used it on guns and for displacing water. WD 40 softens rust-making it easier to remove.

If you take a filthy gun and squirt a little bit of oil (or WD 40) on it and keep using it, you will get a build up of crud. That's not the fault of the lubricant, it's the fault of the idiot user. I literally have dozens and dozens (and dozens?) of guns that have not been shot in 20 years that have been maintained with WD 40. They aren't gummed up. Someone please tell me why. I can tell you why YOURS may be.

I don't think WD 40 is the end-all of lubes. Several lube manufacturers have sent me their lubes to test, BTW. But is a good product that has been maligned by "know it alls" for years. Even Brownell's did a video hit piece on it.

So, if you can call my experience ignorance- I'm going to be pretty upset about it. Google the name. Then look in the mirror.

stinkeypete

The REAL answer is.. first understand the question.

From October through January, the dog and I will be out hunting pheasants about three times a week. I run through maybe 3 boxes of shells through about 4 different shotguns.

One shotgun is almost family, one is the last gun I will ever part with, one I am coming to love, and one is for when it's raining, snowing, winter-mixing and because I wanted a side-by-side.

At the end of the season, I give them a cleaning with Hoppe's No.9 because it's a reasonable solvent and it's what my Granpa used. It makes me feel good, almost like the smell of bread baking in the oven. It's the smell of a end of good day with my Grandpa or Dad.

Serious shotgun shooters go to the range and might easily shoot 6-8 boxes of shells down one gun in a weekend. Some of those guys maintain guns at shooting ranges of for clubs. What they need and what I need are different. They are dealing with very large deposits of plastic wad material, gunpowder and primer residue and lead. Most of them swear by "Ed's Red", a home brew mixture because they need buckets of it.

https://www.vkhgc.ca/documents/Ed gun cleaner.pdf

 1 part Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1 (such as for burning in heaters)
 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (Varsol)
 1 part Acetone
 (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified,
Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

The article will explain how the formula is adapted from the Frankford Arsenal Cleaner No. 18 and what each component does for the cleaning process using modern materials since things like Sperm Oil are no longer readily available and Turpentine is more flammable than necessary and also more expensive.

The acetone? You need something to get in and attack layers of plastic buildup.
Soak the barrel well and wait 10 minutes for the stuff to work.
Then use a Tornado brush on an electric drill powered shotgun rod to get out a palmful of melted plastic gunk.
Then patches and maybe a rust inhibitor like wd-40 or clenzoil.
WD-40 is not going to do that.

If you have not shot 8 boxes of shells, your brass brush will take care of the plastic.

Mark Novak has a very entertaining and educational Youtube channel with many tips on gunsmithing restoration.
He knows many big words and many times he uses these words, um, incorrectly.
He does some stuff that would have made the metal shop supervisor at the Physics Department shop scream at him with Irish curses.
He's a real gunsmith and does good work and shares many very practical tips that motivate me to do more restoration work.

I would not let him work on my Hamilton Bowen Blackhawk.

Bill DeShivs? He makes knives that are to a man what my wife's custom jewelry is for women. Heirloom stuff. He doesn't have a camera man for his youtube videos!
When it comes to metal, I will go with Bill's opinion every time.

About Tico Sticks-
I liked to shoot skeet about 25 years ago. Here was my gun cleaning trick-

Take a clean old white cotton sock that has a hole in the heel. Tie about 3 feet of sturdy fine hemp twine around 2/3 of the way down. Tie a figure 8 knot in the other end and crimp a spent .22 shell as a weight to the knot.

Where you tie the sock will determine how thick it is when pulled down the whatever gauge shotgun you are using.

After shooting a round of skeet while the barrel is still hot, drop the weighted end of the sock string from breech to barrel. Stand on it. Pull the sock through your barrel. Repeat with other barrel. An amazing about of crud fouls the sock your wife was going to throw away.

Within 4-6 pullings, you''l know when to toss that sock in the trash. Don't wash it, why gum up the washing machine with that foul crap? Get another sock.

Tico Stick? Bore Snake? Spend money or use an old sock.

Last edited:

bladesmith 1

Whew, now that's a long reply that didn't say much. I'll keep it short. I clean my BP firearms with hot soapy water, rinse, use a couple of dry patches then a couple of WD-40 patches to displace any water. Finish up with Rem-Oil. Done. I've cleaned my modern shotgun barrels with WD-40 and that's all I've used. Never a problem.