Boolits???

Tex S

Bustoff said:

how was all that for a answer!!!

Wow! I certainly didn't think I would get that type of answer. To be quite honest, I forgot I asked the question until I saw "boolit" written somewhere a moment ago.

I don't know why "boolits" got started unless it was making fun of imagined hick accents from some fictional part of the country? Maybe Li'l Abner said it that way? We have a (just barely) phonetic writing system of written English, and I don't know anyone who actually pronounces the word the way that spelling suggests? Of course, I know few people who pronounce the current Russian president's name correctly, either.

Anyway, cast lead bullets had the name before jacketed bullets were made, so I think it has dibs on the original terminology. It is jacketed bullets that should receive the new name, if there is to be one? Stuffed Jackets? Don't know what we'll do with solids, in that case?

snuffy

Nick, the originator of the cast boolits forum is who we honored when we were spelling it that way. He refers to jacketed bullets as "J" word bullets, or full-length-gas-check-bullets. Some references are to condom bullets too.

Maybe it was just silly or childish to spell it that way, who knows?

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Looking good - - -

I'm happy to see that the trend is toward the use of the proper spelling of "bullets." Occasional use of slang or dialect terms is acceptable, so long as it's clear that this is the intent.

The Handloading and Reloading and Bullet Casting foums are technically oriented areas. It is not needful that all our posts take the tone of doctoral dissertations or scientific papers. However, it is easier for newcomers and occasional visitors to accept the validity of posts in which the writer shows respect for the reader.

TFL forums are not overseen by English Composition instructors. At the same time, it's nice to give a nod toward spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar.

Thanks to all those who have been working to make this new subforum a success.

Johnny