Boolits in the mail

snuffy

I'm going to start something I may come to regret.:rolleyes: Once I get my boolits pics up on the boolit pics thread, if someone is considering starting casting, they may want to try out a certain boolit for whatever weapon they have. If you truly want to try some, I would be glad to send you enough boolits from whatever mold I have to try out in your shooter.

That way you would know before hand if what you want to order will work. I've done this before many times on other forums, all I ask is to cover the cost of shipping.

Flat rate boxes are the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I just ordered a sample pack of flat rate boxes so I could do this.

In the mean time, what do ya'll think of this proposal?

CrustyFN

I think that is a great idea and a very generous offer. There wouldn't be anything worse than putting out money for a mold only to find out your gun doesn't like them.

Rusty

I give this idea two thumbs up! I would also be willing to share some of my boolits...but beware that I don't keep hundreds and hundreds stocked up at a time. I keep maybe one or two hundred of each type of boolit. If I am out, I am out!

Hey, I have no pride. I'd like to take advantage of it.

I'm not the type to have umpteen different molds to use for my guns and it would be nice to have some samples to try before I buy...

brando77

great idea i'd love to try out different boolits before commiting to some costly tool,does any one here sell their boolits ?

I think most of us don't sell our boolits. Most of us (at least me) probably don't have the time to make it worthwhile. There are some people on here that do sell boolits....some for a living. It would probably be best to hook up with one of them. I sell a couple hundred a year to a couple local guys, but it doesn't bring home the bacon ( I sell them for $8/100)...I do it because I like to cast.

kyle663

I've made boolits for a few guys. usually they send me lead and i cast half of what they send for them and the other half is for my time , electricity and such. I tumble lube everything right now so they usually go back unlubed. if a guy just wanted to try 20 to 50 boolits, just to see if he liked the design, the cost of shipping I think would be fair. just my .02 cents

DiscoRacing

I C H.... I must like casting too..... .... i currently have over 8,000 rds cast for .401 and .358... maybe I oughtta slow down a lil bit.

DiscoRacing

Actually.... I spent all day today resizing/trimming/polishing... aprox 300 rds of the 7,000 of .223 brass that I have....... I love my reloading hobby!!!:eek:

ar15man2009

I am certainly up for this idea.Its sounds great to me. I have had to buy several molds without trying that exact one out before and it can be an uneasy feeling.

kyle663

I was oncd loaned a mold by a member on another forum. this can be a good idea so long as we dont get any bad apples, or trade molds you dont like for one you might. I know i could sure use a .225 mold :D

snuffy

Okay, I posted this before heading off to work. I'm glad to see some may take advantage of the offer. But I won't be taken advantage of. By that I mean you better convince me that you truly want to get started in casting, OR you already cast, and just bought another, different, caliber and am wondering which mold to get.

I mostly have lee molds. Why? Because they work and they're much cheaper. Most of their molds are copies of old standby boolits made by other mold companies, that have proven themselves over the years. I have one "group buy" mold, it's a lee 6 cav for a 45/70 405 RF boolit.

I can tumble lube them in either roster jacket, or lee liquid alox. I also have a Lyman 450 luber/sizer, but don't have all the dies for every boolit.

Friday starts a week layoff, so I'll have time to shoot some pics of my mold selection.

We can discuss what the end is, what the boolit will be used for, therefore what hardness you'd like to get. I can go anywhere from pure lead to straight linotype.

GP100man

Rooster lube

snuffy
how does the rooster lube work ????, is it as stiky ????, anything with alox stops my head up tite as can be!!
i`m currentrly lubing everything with glenn`s carnauba red in a 450 & get very little smoke & shiney bore.
i`ve got a batchof 358swc tl boolits lubed with jpw but busted my shoulder & can`t even scratch my nose rite handed at the moment

snuffy

GP, I just remembered you asked a question. I have very little experience with the rooster jacket lube. I have only had it for a month. It DOES dry completely, not tacky, but is has almost no color to it, so you can't hardly tell it's on the boolit. I put some blue food color in it, then it shows up pretty well.

I used some on a few 45/70 boolits that weren't going too fast, it worked fine, no leading. I'll have to test it on some more boolits before I can say it works as good as LLA,(Lee Liquid Allox).

snuffy

I put the pics of my boolits up on illyotehunters thread, "boolit pictures with specifications." No sense of repeating it here. Like yotehntr said, I don't keep a large inventory of every boolit for every mold I have. If I have time AND it's not to damn hot to cast, I'll make some fresh boolits to send to somebody. It usually doesn't take much to get me interested in a project.

snuffy

Jmorris, yes I do! It's the 7/8 ounce 12 ga. version of the lee key lock slug. AND I have some cast of wheel weights that I could, would ship to you if you wanted to try some. Would 30 be enough to work up a load for you?

Shoot me your addy via PM, I'll get some boxed up in a flat rate box.

kyle663

snuffy, I would like to try some of the 55grain 225 boolits befoe i buy a mold. what would you want for 50 with gc's?