Blunderbuss Kit Inbound

Schlitz 45

I got the barrel polished this weekend & got it colored. I shot a coat of oil base clear polyurethane on it to keep the colors bright & I'll be able to handle it tonight & see how it looks in the sunlight & if it's hard enough maybe some light wet sanding. Found a nice skull & cross bone pearl inlay to give it a little pirate flavor & picked up some 2mm chisels for a band of abalone perfling that I had left over from a guitar project that I'm inlaying in the stock. Discovered that the "color case hardened" lock is just a patina too so I brightened the lockset up a bit to match the barrel.

gwpercle

LIKE !

Has Home Defense written all over it ... Get a Cutlass and you will be ready !
Just noticed ... it's a freaking 4 - Bore ... Holy Mackerel there Andy !!!

I Like it ... Gary

Schlitz 45

Got started on some of the inlays-Abalone purfling is ready to glue on the under side. The topside of the stock's going to be a little tricky following the dip at the comb, that's why I did the bottom first to get my carving chops tuned up-it's been a while.
qGhoNIil.jpg

Last edited:

Schlitz 45

Made some more inlay progress, got the top band of abalone & a star I had ready for gluing in-waiting on my skull & cross bones to finish up the inlays.
The plan is to stain the stock ebony & I'm using black epoxy to glue the inlays in, this should help hide my inletting mistakes.Then lightly sanding the stock & using a secondary color stain before finishing. I've used this method on guitars with quilted/flame grain & it really brings out any figure in the grain. The black stain should make the abalone & pearl inlays really pop. We'll see
KjBdGJsl.jpg

BrlQbVMl.jpg

Pahoo

My compliments

Schlitz 45
even though it may not be, my cup of tea, I really like your project, methodology and talent. I found the RamRod situation, rather interesting as it's got me thinking about how the old Buccaneers, handled this problem. I know that there were some old sidelocks that had separate ramrods. Going to have to do a bit on homework, on this one. .... ;)

Very Nice and
Be Safe !!!!

Schlitz 45

Got a bit more done today-my Jolly Roger is epoxied in & started to get sanded down. I'm getting the rest of the stock's initial stain in black done along with the other inlays-then a lot more sanding before 2nd stain color goes on.
Hnyl5jTl.jpg

0D0xd74l.jpg

YuKgTy9l.jpg

YQUHjOAl.jpg

Last edited:

Pahoo

Every dog deserves on good bite !!!

That is very nice work and one that can be shared, for many years to come. Now then, at some point you will ask yourself; Shoot or don't shoot???

Let us know how she shoots. ;)

What do you shoot with these things? Just fun stuff at 15 to 20 yds. or so
Pirates, Zombies and could be one heck of a weedwhacker. It really doesn't matter and sure would like to see it, on YouTube. ... :)

Be Safe !!!!

Schlitz 45

I’ll definitely shoot it. Probably just use .53 ball & patch-need some 28 gauge wads if I’m going to try shot. Having a hard time getting a good photo that shows the barrel colors & the abalone-thought some photos in daylight would help but they just don’t do it justice.
5LaqjHVl.jpg

Last edited:

bamaranger

gorgeous!

That thing looks absolutely fantastic........a great job turning the rather odd kit barrel into a tube that seems much more proportioned, and the case hardening is an eye catcher too. The inletting, out of this world also..........

With shot, I wouldn't worry much about fitting wads myself. Charge, wad of tow, shot, and another wad of tow. Might experiment with cotton batting from a quilt shop.

I'd be most curious as to what load you might use.