Bluing discoloration Problem -Fixes ???

FrankenMauser

Flush out with WD 40, air, oil.
Why?
Why put WD-40 on a gun that does not need moisture driven out?

That's like suggesting someone clean a cake pan, blow it dry, then coat it in cooking spray before storage.

"Clean your thing. Then coat it in one of the worst, most over-used and misused, non-lubricants and non-preservatives known to man."

Why not just dip it in Lee Liquid Alox?
(Facetious? A little bit. But LLA is derived from a corrosion inhibiting preservative, unlike putrifying, gumming WD-40.)

44 AMP

Staff
Why?
Why put WD-40 on a gun that does not need moisture driven out?

Because its a common, cheap, sold everywhere and in nearly every home already, spray material with solvent properties, perhaps???

No, its NOT a lube, nor is it a gun cleaner, but if you have a gun that is gummed up due to years of neglect letting the oil turn to sludge, its a convenient and usually very effective FIRST STEP.

I've run across guns that were actually frozen shut from oil that turned to something like lacquer. WD-40 got them open, so that they could be disassembled and proper cleaning performed.

Nothing wrong, (and quite a bit right) about using WD-40 for its solvent properties in some situations. But I will agree that using WD-40 and doing nothing else, isn't the right thing to do, and can lead to problems on its own.

Metal god

The thing I don't get regardless if it's WD-40 , mineral spirits or paint thinner . After you use those , what gets that out . I forget which one thinner of spirits but one has more oil/s in it .

Regardless , unless completely removed they are going to dilute any lube you use next . I know it's not an option here but I usually use carburetor cleaner , laquear thinner or the like to then clean off the cleaner haha . Do we just not care about the residue left behind by what ever "cleaner" is used ? I mean there's a lot of nook and cranny's in there that will not be completely drained inside the frames . Do you open those up and lightly blow them out ? Or is it we just drench them in lube forcing the other out then blow that out leaving just enough lube to coat all the parts ?

Bill DeShivs

WD 40 is a lubricant, and it's a pretty good preservative. The only thing it leaves behind is a light mineral oil. I have used it for well over 50 years as an engineer, gunsmith, engraver, cutler, and musician. It doesn't "gum" any more than any other oil, when properly used.

Mineral spirits, carb cleaner, paint thinner evaporate completely, and leave no residue. They won't dilute anything.

Metal god

Bill that’s not exactly true , I’ve been in the construction trade for my whole life 35+ years and paint thinner does not evaporate completely nor does spirits . One example is cleaning brushes with lacquer thinner on the first rinse and paint thinner for the final rinses because the oil left behind keeps the bristles from drying out and becoming brittle. It drys enough not to effect the next paint you use ( oil based ) but when you pull it out from storage it’s still a little slick .

Although I don’t disagree with what you say about WD-40 there are far better things to use now . Kinda like Rem oil , it was good for it’s time but it will never be seen on any firearm of mine , way better stuff out there now .

Last edited: