Bloomberg at it again.

Maybe I miseed it but I have asked this question before.

Why aren't these folk who come to gun shows selling dozens of guns routinely not have FFLs and why does the BATFE let them get away with it and why do the gunshow owners let them buy tables?

They are clearly in the business of selling firearms and should have FFLs. Why aren't they arrested? A private sale is not some guy who repeatedly comes to gun shows with lots of guns to sell. That is a gun dealer operating w/o an FFL.

flippycat

gun show operator update:

An Update from the Gun Show Promoter involved in the "sting". Seems like common sense to me. Well at least this part does, educate sellers on recognizing straw buyers attempting to get guns for prohibited purchasers.
The rest does not really do much to aid in anything unless they are doing background checks on the sellers maybe not the buyers? The sellers in this investigation were not required to run background checks.As far as the booths go for law enforcement, I believe even if they were free, budgets to man gun shows with leos would severely limit use of said booths for whistle blowers to run to in future Bloomberg operations. I think the key to it all is really education.

I know the NRA is on this matter like white on rice.
Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA. We are looking further into Mayor Bloomberg's recent investigation. You can read more about this on our website: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5169

Please don't hesitate to contact us with further questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
Miranda Bond
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
www.nraila.org

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — A gun show operator says changes are being made after an undercover multi-state sting by the office of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Bloomberg said private unlicensed gun dealers were captured on video selling weapons to undercover investigators who admitted they couldn't pass background checks.

Dave Goodman, manager of Bill Goodman's Gun and Knife Show, said Wednesday that the shows will offer free booths to police and federal firearms agents, strengthen background checks and educate sellers on recognizing straw buyers attempting to get guns for prohibited purchasers.

Stings were conducted by Bloomberg's investigators at seven gun shows in Tennessee, Nevada and Ohio, including the Dayton and Cincinnati areas.

Bloomberg says the stings highlight a loophole.

___

Information from: Dayton Daily News, http://www.daytondailynews.com

tipoc

To be able to answer the argument of Bloomberg, etc. pretty much requires that you understand the point they are trying to make. It does not help us to deny the facts that are in front of us. So let's look...

Federal law requires that background checks be run on all firearm sales in the U.S. Those who have committed felonies, have a history of mental illness, etc. cannot legally purchase a firearm. The law requiring this passed with the support of the NRA and some other pro 2nd Amendment groups after the Virginia Tech massacre.

Now as the City of Sharonville and others have pointed out some states and localities have no such laws regarding private party transactions and don't make it a point to actively pursue enforcement of this Federal law,
The City of Sharonville does not have jurisdiction over federal laws, but does take any violation very seriously.
Except that Bloomberg's folks exposed that they do not. Or at least did not. Because sellers with tables of guns at shows made a point of openly flouting the background checks and were caught on video doing so. The organizers of the shows also looked the other way. Though maybe that will end. But not real smart and the action of political neophytes. They cut off their own heads and handed them to their enemy.

So Bloomberg, etc.s point of attack is that there needs to be a federal law mandating that all sales of firearms be subject to a background check and enforced on a local level. This is in order to "fight crime" of course. In other words more cops at gun shows enforcing mandatory waiting periods and background checks. More regulation.

Pointing a finger at Bloomberg is weak. The NRA is doing this regularly and it's weak and a loosing strategy IMHO. It can be fought by pointing out that outlawing guns does not fight crime. Bloomberg can be set back by pointing out that the thousands of guns he claims are involved in crimes each year in NYC illegally were bought in NY in illegal sales. Of course the guns came in from other states unless they are all Henry rifles which are still made in Brooklyn.

tipoc