Big Bore Snub

Boncrayon

Conceal Carry must be compact, and should deliver quickly without bogging down the carry weight. It should have a hammer for quick ready so that the trigger pull does not though off the aim.

The smallest and most powerful I've found is the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 Special. Has great grips for the recoil. Mine is blued, but they also come in stainless steal. Google it and see the compactness...

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/charter_bulldog_74420.asp

dahermit

Conceal Carry must be compact, and should deliver quickly without bogging down the carry weight. It should have a hammer for quick ready so that the trigger pull does not though off the aim.
Or, bob the hammer and actually learn how to shoot a double-action with a double-action...or carry a single-action that has a grip without a hump to get in the way of thumb cocking.

bamaranger

very nice

That 5 shot Taurus seems an ideal GP/woods revolver. As a "K" frame, it will weigh less and be smaller than S&W's rendition of the 5-shot .44 spec based on the L-frame, I'd think be lighter than "K" in .38 due to larger charge holes and bore dia, and be larger and sturdier (?) than a Charter.

Near ideal if not perfect.....

dgludwig

I don't know if it qualifies as a "big bore" or not, but I've had a good experience with a Taurus Model 415 over the years, chambered in .41 Magnum. Mine has the all s/s frame with a 3" ported barrel. Taurus made the same revolver with a lighter weight, alloy frame but I was a little concerned that a light weight, snub nose might be a mite difficult to control repeat shots in terms of increased recoil.

wnycollector

CajunBass, I have the same revolver except in stainless. Its a fantastic shooter and one of the last revolvers I would ever part with. Taurus made some great revolvers back in the day.

JayCee

I bought this 696 at my LGS after it had sat on the shelf for over a year. Each time I went into the store, it caught my eye, but I was always interested in something else. One day I walked in, took a quick look and noticed that the price had been reduced way below $400, so I thought "what the heck!" and took it home. Turns out to have been one of the better purchases I made, based on current prices. I don't shoot it a lot, but it will handle any 44 Special load you can throw at it, despite the internet experts' claims that the forcing cone is too thin for hot loads.

REP... I think you & I talked about our 45's back just after I did mine... I always liked yours as well... I think that's going to be one of those guns you wished you never got rid of...

my 45 just for others that may not have seen it...

I've since added 1/2 moon cuts on the cylinder so empty cases can easily be extracted with a thumbnail... it's a polished stainless 45 Colt Ruger Montado, with the barrel trimmed, & fit with a stainless birdshead grip frame & a pair of checkered buffalo horn grips

attachment.php

if old school single action is not your thing... this is a 454 Casull Ruger Alaskan... of course I can't leave well enough alone, & this gun now wears custom fiber optic sights...

attachment.php

Last edited:

Frizzman

I have a Rossi 720c that I bought in the early 90s. Its a five shot, stainless, three inch barreled, medium frame .44 Spl...It is the "Covert" model with DAO trigger and spurless hammer and fixed sights. I like it so much that I bought another I found at a local shop for a good price. It sat in they're used case a long time. People around here don't get it and they are spurned by the plastic pea shooter crowd...Its compact, accurate with a smooth trigger and throws a fat bullet at moderate velocities with very tolerable recoil
...What's not to like?

JERRYS.

those Rossi wheelies were a gem that the company just refused to see as valuable. if they brought them back at least the Covert version they'd sell.