Big Bore Snub

CajunBass

Picked this up the other day. I've seen a couple of them before but this one had been price reduced to the point where I couldn't pass it up.

Taurus 431, five shot, 44 Special, with a 3" barrel. Made in 1994, this particular one has probably been fired a few times, but I'd bet not very often. There is a small spot of wear on the left side of the muzzle, and just a faint turn line. It's about the same size as a Smith & Wesson "K" frame, maybe a little bigger, but it fits in my K-Frame holsters.

Last edited:

yadkin

Nice, rather that than a 38 spc. take it out and put it through the ringer, try to melt the barrel out of it, if no problems then you have a good carry gun.

is that a steel gun, or alloy??? looks like blued steel... if I had to look at one on a shelf, & it seemed defect free, I'd have a hard time not bringing it home myself :)

tallball

I also have the "ultralight" version and also like it a lot. Your steel version will probably be even better. Congratulations on a good deal! :)

Taurus44_zpsba8282b8.jpg

CajunBass

Not a chance that it will be a carry gun. I'm way to lazy to lug something this heavy around with me all day. I've got a Smith & Wesson J-frame, airweight for that. This is a range/safe queen for me.

It is an all steel gun.

walks with gun

That little gun is just begging to be taken fishing, hiking, camping and just about every outdoor activity I can think of. Nice find.

natman

My big bore snub is a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in 44 Special:

The combination of stainless and pocket hammer is hard to find.

lee n. field

Taurus 431, five shot, 44 Special, with a 3" barrel.

Had a chance to pick up a 90s era Taurus .44 Special snub, a number of years ago. Guy was trying to sell it to a gun shop. I still kind of kick myself for not at least making him an offer.

Quincunx

The wife loves hers! She has two of them, but hers are stainless. One is her bedside gun, and the other is for carry. The only problem she had with them is that the cylinder release buttons became somewhat loose after a few range sessions. A drop or two of Loctite on each one solved the problem and there have been no other malfunctions with either.

DaleA

Very nice find.

It qualifies as what a good friend of my calls a 'serious sidearm'.

He's never really told me what the criteria for a 'serious sidearm' is but he assures me that he knows one when he sees it.

peggysue

My alternate carry my satin blue Taurus M 450 Ti (titanium) daily when not at work. I use a simply rugged pancake holster on my left side for a cross draw. Put a Crimson Trace grip on her. Keep 45C Winchester Silver Tips in her.
The 45Colt is such an easy shooting round.

Last edited:

PolarFBear

Been very happy with my stainless model. Accurate "enough", low recoil, blast is not to bad with the short barrel. I am a "large" framed guy and carry this piece in a "Thunder Wear" holster. Quite comfortable and very accessible. The OP's in blue looks very nice.

shep854

I have a Taurus 445, two-inch blue. Nice, mid-size blaster. Right now, .44Spl ammo is tough to find, so hand-loading is required.

David R

Nice Gun

Beautiful grips!

I have a Smith 624, but like you said, It gets carried no where. WAY too big. I did cram it in my Bianchi 9R but it looked like I had cancer, I'm a skinny little fella.

To add pics of 44 special....Yo have already seen a Bulldog.

This was my Dads.

20150715_180231-L.jpg

After I took these pictures, I got rid of the parting line between the grips with some gentle tapping.

20150715_180216-L.jpg

I picked this up last week, these are the first shots fired from the gun now that I own it.
10 shots, 5 yards left hand only.
20150715_185800-L.jpg

I was holding 6 O'clock

David

Last edited: