Big Bore Cunumdrum

buckhorn_cortez

Get a S&W X-Frame in .460. I have the X-Frame with the 5-inch barrel. It's a great gun to shoot. It doesn't "tear your hand off" as you can get a wide variety of loads from lightweight bullets to hard cast heavy hitters in .460.

I've shot the Buffalo Bore 360 grain round and it's not as bad as .454 Casull which has a much sharper recoil. The Federal Fusion 260 grain recoil is less than a .44 magnum out of a S&W 'N' frame gun.

If you use .45 LC in an X-Frame, it's about like a .45 ACP because the gun is so big and heavy.

As for carrying it - the people who cite size and weight don't own one and it's all pure projection on their part. Get a Diamond D Leather "Guide's Choice" cross chest holster and you can easily carry it all day if you do want to use it in the field. It's actually more comfortable than carrying a Super Redhawk in a belt holster as the weight with the cross chest holster is centralized and distributed better. I own both and have carried both - so this isn't just speculation on my part.

It's almost like having a hand carried rifle with a 200 grain bullet as the velocity is right at 2050 FPS out of the 5-inch barrel - and has almost no recoil as the bullet is so light.

If you want a big gun - go for it. They're fun to shoot and, from experience, I can tell you that a 5 gallon plastic jug of water literally explodes when it's hit with a 360 grain bullet. Great fun!

Frizzman

I got a S&W 500 with a four inch barrel when they first came out. It was fun to shoot and the recoil wasn't painful like the titanium magnums. It got lots of attention on indoor ranges. I wound up trading it because the novelty wore off and I had no practical use for it. Ammunition was expensive and I didn't want the expense of setting up to load another cartridge. I wouldn't mind having another just to have one. I think the Toklat is rather cool. My days of buying such things to play with were over when I retired. Money for toys is scant but I have lots of time to enjoy the ones I have. Buying something I have no need for can be fun though and I like hobbies to be fun.

jolly roger

5 1/2 inch Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt here. Not flat top..shooting 300 grain cast at 1200 FPS with 296 powder. Killed a good size boar slam dead quickly and deer are easy within range..it's a hammer

22-rimfire

Get what you like.

Added: This is after reading 44 Amp's comments and thinking about my own past buying habits rather than being "smart" with you. You want something bigger than a 44, I would just decide what appeals to you the most and go with it. The Toklat amounts to a gun that some have created by cutting the barrel down on their SRH's to make it more carry friendly. It appeals to me, but I have no personal desire to own a 454 Casull revolver since I have the 480/475 caliber covered. The big bore guys say that the 454 is where the pain starts, so if you want to reduce the pain, I would go with the larger framed Smith. But the Toklat is appealing.

Personally, I like the idea of a larger diameter bullet in 44+ big bores. I would still like to own an Alaskan in 480 Ruger and I have absolutely no need or reason to want it except for giggles. It is good to giggle sometimes.

One doesn't always have to be "rational" about choosing a handgun. Ultimately, it is all about fun.

There aren't many situations where my 4" M57 (41 mag) would not provide me with adequate protection in the woods since I am not planning on an Alaskan hunt. I have the 4" M57's because I wanted them, same as you on this thread topic. If I am hunting with an iron sighted 41 mag, I choose the 8 3/8" M57 over any 4".

Last edited:

hartcreek

Your body can only handle so much recoil. My .44 magnums and my .44 Auto Mag have contributed to my arthritus enough. You buy what want you want.....you will be wining about the pain from your arthritus soon enough.....

Deaf Smith

Balin,

Since you want something unique, powerful, and robust then by all means get the Ruger Toklat.

Being .454 it shoots .45 LC as well as .454. Easy to shoot with .45 loads and accurate to.

And if you want wood instead of rubber grips Houge makes nice ones as well as a gent in Thailand.

Deaf

Pond James Pond

Although neither an expert nor a seasoned revolver shooter, I second the .460 S&W suggestion.

I like my own RH .44Mag immensely and it satisfies my needs (read "wants") perfectly, but I can't deny the extreme versatility of the .460 chambering: 3 of the best and most powerful cartridges in one gun, the smallest (.45 Colt) of which is arguably as flexibile with its possible power levels as the the .44Mag.

Cowboy action .45s all the way to the .460's 2300ft/s 200 missiles in one gun...

Unless you specifically didn't want one, it is hard to beat that scope of performance.

Cosmodragoon

If you are looking for something fun, something that could shoot .45 Colt and more, something you could do longer-distance target shooting with, and something you (or your descendents) could hunt large-for-handgun game with if the urge ever presented itself; then go with an XVR. The .460 is an amazing cartridge and the XVR's comfort-focused design allows you to fire it with more comfort than what's afforded by most guns in .454, which it will also shoot.

98 220 swift

I had a XVR 460 a few years ago. I thought it would be great for handgun hunting. It was fun to shoot. It didn't have much recoil for what it did. What I hated was the extreme muzzle blast. The noise was terrible. It would blow stuff off of the shooting bench. People shooting next to you at other benches would move. I actually got scared of taking it hunting. Shooting it with just ear plugs only was painful. Had to have muffs and plugs(not the easiest thing to do when hunting). Was also scared to rest it on something for fear it would blow pieces of bark every where. I did take it hunting but only with heavy loaded 45 colt loads.(44 mag power). It only took one trip to make me wonder why I was carrying this over size cannon just to use 45 colt loads.

Traded it for a new Model 29 S&W straight up. Much happier with this revolver. The bad thing is with full power loads I think the 29 kicks harder but with a lot less blast.

The 460 is a fun range toy for a while. I could not image shooting one indoors.
I had a friend who wanted to shoot it. He had no hearing protection. Said he didn't need any. I gave him a full cyl full. He only shot it once. Could hear for a week.:confused: I told him not to do it but he insisted.

buck460XVR

The gun will mostly be used for target shooting, the cool factor and such. really have no plans to hunt with it or use for preotection.

Then the .460 is the gun for you. I take new and old shooters to the range all the time. I have handguns in .38, .357, .44, and .45(both ACP and Colt) and the .460 is the one they all talk about on the way home or afterwards. Always there is a big smile on their face. Not only is it the Big boom and the concussion that goes with it, but the accuracy of the .460 is amazing, even in the hands of new shooters. The weight and heft means it is comfortable to shoot, while not being a issue when using bags or a rest on the bench. If one reloads, once you have the brass, the cost of ammo is no more than .45 Colt. Besides, if one can afford an X-Frame, they should be able to afford to feed it........regularly. As for hearing protection, being at the range means no one should be shooting it anyway without proper protection. That's a no-brainer. Allowing anyone to shoot one without protection is just irresponsible and foolish.

Cosmodragoon

I had a XVR 460 a few years ago. I thought it would be great for handgun hunting. It was fun to shoot. It didn't have much recoil for what it did. What I hated was the extreme muzzle blast. The noise was terrible. It would blow stuff off of the shooting bench. People shooting next to you at other benches would move. I actually got scared of taking it hunting. Shooting it with just ear plugs only was painful. Had to have muffs and plugs(not the easiest thing to do when hunting). Was also scared to rest it on something for fear it would blow pieces of bark every where. I did take it hunting but only with heavy loaded 45 colt loads.(44 mag power). It only took one trip to make me wonder why I was carrying this over size cannon just to use 45 colt loads.

For hunting purposes, you'd be right to wonder why you are lugging around a full-length XVR with .45 Colt. Just because it can shoot .45 Colt doesn't mean that it will be the ideal platform for it, especially while hunting. That's a lot of extra real estate to send .45 Colt at game.

That said, it does put out a significant blast wave and a lot of fire. Is it as horrible as you describe? I don't think so. Typically, I don't like firing it at a crowded range with people right next to me. I think that's a matter of courtesy with any "big boomer". Luckily, I don't live in an urban area and outside of events, my range is never crowded. Part of range etiquette that applies to any communal shooting activity is making sure that everyone knows what is coming, has appropriate hearing protection, and is not close enough for concern.

As per hearing protection, I've never "doubled up" with mine. When it comes to plugs, just make sure they are firmly rooted in your ear canal. I've always twisted mine thin and quickly inserted them while pulling my ear away from my head, followed by slowly letting them expand in the ear canal with my fingers over the exposed portion. It gets a really snug fit. If you are using muffs, make sure that your shooting glasses aren't creating a tiny gap. If air can flow freely, even a little, then sound can ride it right into your ear. This caliber is certainly loud and shooting with your mouth open lets you feel it in your teeth :eek: but proper protection has always worked for me.

As per a bark explosions, has anyone tested this out?

Don't take this the wrong way, because no offense is intended, but it sounds to me like you had some fearful expectations before you even took it out. It sounds like the same thing that causes trigger flinching in any caliber, just at a larger scale. I don't know your particular circumstances but I'd be willing to bet a pint that had you stuck with it, it could have worked out FTW.

I could not image shooting one indoors. I had a friend who wanted to shoot it. He had no hearing protection. Said he didn't need any. I gave him a full cyl full. He only shot it once. Could hear for a week. I told him not to do it but he insisted.

BTW, I would never shoot that thing indoors, with any level of protection. I know how much indoor acoustics enhance the noise of "normal" calibers. I often question the popular use of .357 magnum for home defense or EDC in mostly indoor environments for exactly this reason. As per "smart" friends, I never let anyone, ever, under any circumstance, shoot anything bigger than a .22 short out of any of my guns without hearing protection and hearing my spiel above about the proper use of hearing protection at least once.

Last edited:

22-rimfire

I wouldn't even shoot a 22 short from a revolver without protection. From a rifle, sure.

Hearing protection is an absolute requirement with handguns and I even try to be wearing at least plugs hunting. Basically, assuming predictable shooting moment.... see deer moving toward you, insert ear plugs with little hand movement, get ready for the shot.

You will pay a big price if you shoot handguns without hearing protection. It is just a matter of time before it impacts your hearing.

98 220 Swift. I think the 460 just scared you. You should have climbed back on the saddle another day.

98 220 swift

98 220 Swift. I think the 460 just scared you. You should have climbed back on the saddle another day.

Actually I owned it for at least 2 years. I shot it hundreds of times with 45 colt and hot 460 ammo. I actually got to where I disliked the blast the more that I owned it. Happier with the 44 mag.

Sgt127

IMG_2287.jpg

This will get everyone's attention at the range. Got it in a package deal trade. Fun with .45. Impressive with .454. Downright awesome with full house .460.

Absolutely no use for it. But, it's cool. And, I'm ready if we go hiking in real bear country. I'll take a DA revolver for a charging bear over a SA anytime.

Ruger45LC

For cool factor and to remain true to wanting a BIG bore, then get a .500 S&W.

I'm not against the 460 S&W but it seems to me a bit much, mainly in size and also in every other category. It's cool that it shoots 454 and 45 Colt but in the .45 world, the 454 is more than enough itself. I've got a BFR and Super Redhawk Toklat in 454 and the BFR will run 300's XTP Mags over 1800 fps, which leads me to believe if one wanted to load the 200gr Hornady FTX bullet that the longer barrel 454's could probably hit 2300 fps with those and burn a lot less powder than the 460 does.

For me though, big bore means heavy bullets!

Cosmodragoon

I wouldn't even shoot a 22 short from a revolver without protection. From a rifle, sure.

I don't own a .22 revolver so I've never experienced it. I inherited a few hundred boxes of .22 short a few years ago and I've been running them through my Henry. It is the only time I don't rigorously enforce hearing protection for friends, sometimes to the point of being called a "safety nut". :rolleyes: