Big Bore Cunumdrum

balin

Have a little to much cash on hand and was thinking I needed something new. Kind of like the Ruger Toklat, the John Ross 500 magnum, or maybe just a .460 magnum. Mostly just some thing to have and do some offhand plinking with, for now any way. I know that gives me a wide range but those are my options so far.

KEYBEAR

I second the 45 Colt . I have had the big boomers and really very little need for one . Yes you want one and that is a good reason to buy . I bought a boomer shot it about 50 times and sold it . I could find no use for it the recoil was unbelievable and if you load it down why have it ? I guess if you have mastered the lesser calibers great . As of today I am still trying to learn the 44 Mag but I have only shot one for 40 plus years .

After all the years of shooting the boomers I found I really enjoyed the lesser of the bunch . I bought a 44 Special(4.5) last winter and really like the gun I also bought a bird's head 45 Colt and like to shoot it .

Today I set in my back yard and shot 175 44 Specials mostly at my plate rack
Really enjoyed the time . Good luck

Cheapshooter

I would get a 45 Colt for the flexibility.
But why a dedicated 45 Colt when the OP mentioned a 460 Magnum?
I would opt for the three in one versatility of 460 S&W Magnum, 454 Casull, and 45 Colt.

HighValleyRanch

I got the Ruger Alaskan .454.
I like it alot, and can shoot .45 Colt out of it as well as downloading the .454 to fun plinking loads.
This gives a huge range of power options.

Have the GP grips on it.
Nice trigger on mine!

FloridaGuy

I have 2 S&W .460 magnums and love them both. The versatility of that firearm is the main reason I purchased them. They will fire .45LC, .454 Casual and .460 S&W Magnum.

I also have a .500 S&W magnum. This is a very powerful fire arm. I can only shoot about 15 rounds per range outing from this gun.

:):)

codefour

Balin, what is your intended purpose for this next magnum revolver? Just for the cool factor? Then I would go 460 S&W Mag. It is fun hitting 8 inch steel plates at 300 yards with my X-frame XVR.

I have a Ruger SRH in 454 Casull with the 7.5 inch barrel. That SRH recoil is much worse than my XVR. A starting to moderate load of H110/296 300 grain XTP Mags just plain hurts. While the max charge of H110/296 with a 300 grain XTP Mag does not hurt hardly at all in the XVR.

If hunting is what you want, the 44 Mag or 45 LC is hard to beat. It will drop anything in No. America with a well placed shot. Both the 44 Mag and 45 LC or Colt are pretty flexible. I only handgun hunt with my 44 Mags. I have never used the Casull or XVR for hunting. I bought them with the intent of increasing range. But in California, a 100 yard shot rare.

I shot a 280 lb hog with the 44 mag about two years ago. It was a 240 grain cast, hard lead bullet. It blew clean through the pig and left a jello like exit hole on the opposite shoulder. The shot was about 45-50 yards. The hog was DRT, dead right there.

balin

The gun will mostly be used for target shooting, the cool factor and such. really have no plans to hunt with it or use for preotection. Mostly a plinking gun if something in that caliber range can be called plinking.I have several 44's. Alaskan, redhawks, smiths etc. The Causull is about at the bottom end of the power range I am looking at. As I have plenty of .44's.

sm

While I have shot the S&W 500 and Ruger .480, I have always been partial to .44 Mag. Personally for me, I like the versatility of .44 mag and .44 Special loads. Truth be known, I am real partial to .44 Special loadings.

Low pressure round, which works great in confined areas, accurate, and it seemed to work for me, as it did for Elmer Keith for critter duty. Not to mention S&W Model 24's are damn sexy. ;)

Steve

22-rimfire

I would probably go with the 460 S&W or 454 SRH for versatility in your case. I personally went for the 480 SRH as my first step above 44 mag and it is plenty of gun for me. Prefer the BFR in that caliber actually for shooting.

Nathan

Quote:
But why a dedicated 45 Colt when the OP mentioned a 460 Magnum?
I would opt for the three in one versatility of 460 S&W Magnum, 454 Casull, and 45 Colt.

A 45 Colt in a strong single action can push 325gr slugs at 1325fps. Maybe a 454 Casull would be better.

45 cal has proven big enough to kill anything on the planet.

45 Colt 325's @ 1325 fps is as much recoil as I care to shoot in a packable revolver. I'm not a wimp either about recoil. I have a TC Contender in 375 JDJ that recoils a bit too.

Why not the 460 or 500 S&W? Well, they are "tear your pants off" heavy. The recoil is still heavy(yes, I've shot both). ....and can somebody tell me why a FA, Linebaugh, or custom Reeder 45 Colt/454 Casull would not be better in every way?

Nathan

I saw your last post....sounds like you are set on something like a BFR in 45-70 or a big S&W. Get the snubbies. They will be even more "cool" the way you have defined it.

You will have enhanced cool factor with a muzzle break and no ear protection too.:D:confused:

Colt46

Another vote for the lowly .45 Colt

The heaviest slug, you can tolerate, churning along at 1,100-1,200 fps will do just about anything you need it for.
Handgun frames that take advantage of the higher pressure cartridges like .460/.454 are not all that handy to tote around.

22-rimfire

Mastering a true big bore is a challenge. It can also be painful and a frustrating experience. For me, plinking is not enough justification as you will quickly learn that it's expensive to shoot them other than the occasional few rounds shot for the wow factor.

My suggestion is that you increase the power level in steps above 44 mag since you are familiar with that round. Go bigger, stop, shoot..... decide if this step is enough to satisfy your urge. I learned that I reached my power threshold with the 480/475 and have little desire to go bigger at this point. The 460 has the advantage of being able to shoot different calibers, but you pay a price in a really large revolver.

Added: If you have the funds, you might as well go with the best (Freedom Arms).

44 AMP

Staff
Once you have practical uses & considerations covered, (and if you have several .44s, you most assuredly do..) then its a matter of "its cool, and I want it".

Go for it. Life is too short. If you've met your responsibilities (bills paid, kids have shoes when needed, not going hungery, etc) get what floats your boat, rocks your world, or just makes you grin!

Too big! Too heavy! too expensive to feed! Not practical! Bah! :p

That's their opinions, and no doubt right for them. But I say, get what you are interested in, and decide for yourself!

My heavy revolver lust essentially topped with the .44Mag and Ruger .45Colt. I got interested in magnum semi auto pistols. And I heard the same things...

Too big! Too heavy! too expensive to feed! Not practical!

and you know, it was always from people who didn't have one!

I already had guns that were smaller, lighter, cheaper to feed, etc. I wanted something else. And, I got it. Totally worth it, for me.

Get that hand cannon of your dreams! Then tell us what it does, and doesn't, do for you!

I used to fret about what these things cost, but then I realized that every so often, I get more money. NO ONE is giving me more time.

TimSr

Are you a reloader and/or is the cost and availability of ammo a factor?

I'm with the 460 group, though honestly, as a big magnum guy, I've never had the urge to fire anything more punishing than .454 Casull. I fired a 500SW, and its owner and I agreed it had less recoil than my Freedom Arms .454 Casull.

There are tons of choices of Reloading bullets for 44 and 45 cals. Not so much for 50.

balin

I have Smith 24, 624. And they are fine 44s indeed. When i want a woods gun or some 44 mag to carry i go with my 329pd. At 25 oz's, it has a fair amount of recoil with full power rounds. But my 340pd at less then half the weight has a more painful recoil with .357s. But seeing how much recoil i can absorb is not a draw for me. It is just something to deal with. As 44 AMP has said i have spent years doing without to get where i am, and now can afford to live as i want, within reason as you wont see me on "the lives of the rich and famous" i mentioned the Toklat earlier as i have handled one and found it to be a fine gun. The John Ross 500 is a little more unusual. A 5-6 inch .460 would be suitable as i wouldn't need a bench of tree for support.