Better Shooting?

roy reali

I shoot better with revolvers then I do with semi-auto pistols. I always have. Granted, I prefer wheel guns, but for some reason I really stink with autos.

Here is my simple question.

What do you shoot better with, revolvers or semi-autos?

divil

First time I fired handguns, I rented an automatic and a revolver at a range. I shot better with the revolver, as a total beginner. Can't really explain why, somehow I just found the revolver more natural. They fit the hand better. Now I only own automatics but I kind of wish I had a revolver.

Steven_Seagal

Honestly, I feel like I am a great shot with both types. I am really accurate with a 1911 and I just bought a GP100 last week (my first revolver!) and shot 200 rounds through it over the weekend. I was surprisingly very accurate with .357 and .38 special. I love the Revolver and the 1911 better than any other type of handgun.

I have to say though, that my best shooting is done with my les baer 1911

temmi

I learned on a semi-auto... a 1911 to be exact...

I did not get any revolver till 2 years ago... that was about 40 years with various semi auto...

Soooo it is semi autos for me... but I am trying

MLeake

Depends on size

In full-size pistols, it's a draw.

In medium-compact, pistols... well, I've never shot a revolver I'd consider a medium-compact, so I can't say.

In compact/subcompact pistols, I shoot semi-autos better. Also, to make a snubbie comfortable for my hand, I have to put oversize grips on it, which makes it much less compact than stock.

aarondhgraham

I'm not good enough for it to matter,,,

What I mean is,,,
I shoot better with my revolvers than I do with my semi's,,,
But I don't think it's inherent to the gun as much as it is my personal factors.

I like revolvers so I shoot them more,,,
I'm simply more practiced with them.

Also, I have smallish hands,,,
Something close to a K-Frame fite me nicely,,,
My CZ-74 grip is right at the upper limit of my hand size.

I'm as good with my CZ-75,,,
As I am with my S&W Model 629,,,
They both have large-ish grips for me.

I am almost as good with a friend's Beretta 87,,,
As I am with my S&W Model 18,,,
Both have smaller grips.

With me it's not so much a matter of being better with one or the other,,,
I would have to say I am just as mediocre a shot with either of them.

There are people who have practiced enough,,,
So that their skill level is high enough,,,
They have reached that threshold,,,
Where it makes a difference.

I'm just not one of them.

l98ster

Well, if you think about it, a semi needs to be designed to accomodate a square/rectagular magazine in the handle. It also has to be designed to fit straight in. Therefore, there are other considerations when designing an auto.

A revolver grip can be designed in many more ways, since the "only" consideration would be how it fits the human hand.

I shoot my revolvers better than my autos, but each has its place. Shooting IPSC/IDPA the autos rule because of the high capacity and the speed. In regular range shooting or bullseye, those factors are not as important, so for me, my revolvers feel better when shooting slow.

-George

BrokenBottles

I don't have much experience with revolvers compared to semi-autos but I do know that I shoot better with them. I think that's all in my head though. With a revolver, I go into this stupid frame of mind where all I can hear is the theme from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" and that I'm freaking John Marston.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Practice makes perfect, getting good with my single action 22 revolver enabled me to get good with the 45 pistol but it still took a lot of work with both. How it feels in your hand may be important to your comfort and confidence but more important is the basics of grip, breath, sight and trigger control and that doesn't change because your choice of weapon and caliber changes. For carry definitely use what feels better for you. Last thing you need in a hot situation is having to do a little extra concentration and grip adjustment when you should only be worrying about making the gun go bang and hitting your target.

BigJimP

I shoot both pretty well ...but in general, I shoot mostly 5" 1911's for semi-autos and always S&W revolvers ( 4", 6" and 8 3/8" barrels).

I don't shoot non-1911's particularly well - especially DA/SA weapons like a Sig Sauer 226 ...although I can shoot them / and I do own a few ...they will never be my preference over a 1911....

I don't shoot 2" barreled revolvers very well ...

pilpens

Fast DA (low ready, aim, shoot) I tend to shoot my S&W DA revolvers better than my first shot DA semis (HK USP, Walther P99, and Sig P6). I think that this is primarily because the S&W DA trigger is better than the DA trigger on my semis.
FAST shooting (low ready, aim, shoot, shoot, shoot) 1911 9mm vs S&W 586 6" .38, I shoot my revolver better on average.

Overall, the difference is not consistent enough to say which one I am better with unless comparing it to .22LRs. I shoot my SA only .22s (Ruger, Buckmark) better than any centerfire I have.

Hog Hunter

I had a s&w 44 mag with a 8 3/8 barrel on it and I loved shooting it. With open sights off the tailgate of my truck at onehundred yards I could group a cylinder within a solo cup most of the time. At closer ranges I could what some people say drive nails with it.

With my Glock 17 with 17L barrel at 50 yards its always inside of a paper plate. I love shooting both but more accurate to me would definatly be the revolver, but prefer to carry an auto

LeadFistExpress

Right now I would say semis, but only because both of my revolvers are snub nosed. I am most accurate with my Springfield XD40 because it has the longest barrel of the bunch.

Slopemeno

In my shooting league we had quite a few "mystery gun" matches, where you might start with your regular gun, then clear it and reach in a nightstand and pull out the mystery gun and continue.

One night it was a New Service. One night it was a Redhawk. I was really impressed with how well I shot the Redhawk cold, at speed, with full power ammo. I think the DA pull makes you slow down a tic, and results in slightly better accuracy.

therealdeal

In my shooting league we had quite a few "mystery gun" matches, where you might start with your regular gun, then clear it and reach in a nightstand and pull out the mystery gun and continue.

One night it was a New Service. One night it was a Redhawk. I was really impressed with how well I shot the Redhawk cold, at speed, with full power ammo. I think the DA pull makes you slow down a tic, and results in slightly better accuracy.

good point, I can totally see that happening "slopemeno". I think pretty much the same but it can be a change with weights&grips and all. I like slopemeno's point because with a semi I am trying to shoot quicker and basically repeat a good shot just shot(like I did in the army w/my m16- I wouldn't move a muscle bewteen shots). With the revolver I am taking that extra real small break in between shots for whatever reasons(w/the bigger ones I think you're supposed to). I like revolvers, but I have no qualms w/semis. I have never had one issue or jam w/the rugers at work. that was the main reason why I started w/revolvers originally(possible jams/reliability issues- @ 1st I wanted the semis for firepower). I don't think I will ever like semis more than revolvers, but I have been wrong before.