Best war/shooter movies

Lunicy

Starting the collection. You guys get the honor of making the list for me. I have a few in mind, but I want a really good collection.

Sevens

I'm not one of the "post police" who will complain that you have started a topic that's been discussed a million times (frankly, I don't care how many times anything has been discussed, even GLOCKs, if someone wants to discuss that's fine by me), but if you want a speedy answer without waiting for everyone to reply, exercise the search engine. If you find anything less than 25 working threads discussing guns in popular movies, I'd be shocked.

ronl

We Were Soldiers and Saving Private Ryan werre probably the most accurate and in my humble opinioin were to of the best. The Patriot is another good one.

amprecon

Try "Tae Guk Gi", a war movie made by S. Koreans about the S. Korean War from the S. Korean perspective, different, but good nonetheless.

44 AMP

Staff
Point of view

It depends on whether or not you value accuracy and authenticity, or just action. There are dozens of good war movies, and many, many more fictional action movies, with varying levels of realism.

Saving Private Ryan was mentioned, and for the realism and quality of the special effects, it is outstanding. The plot details, on the other hand are....unrealistic.

Do a search, seriously. You will find more than enough to keep you busy for quuite a while.

Citizen Carrier

Quigley Down Under The one movie that was a shot of adrenaline to black powder cartridge rifles. MANY people have bought Sharps and other BPCR rifles simply because they saw this movie.

Enemy at the Gates Remember how sniperized Mosins just shot up about $300 in price when that movie came out?

Dirty Harry This movie had the same effect on Model 29s.

Saving Private Ryan Speaks for itself. WWII movies have to measure up to this or fall short.

The Wild Bunch The final 10 minutes are the absolute best instance of gun mayhem Hollywood has ever produced...in my opinion.

Heat Tell me you didn't want a Class III after that bank robbery scene.

The Untouchables I thought there was some good gun stuff in there.

Extreme Prejudice A 1980s shoot 'em up. Nick Nolte as a Texas Ranger (or was it Arizona Ranger?).

Just a few I like...

BrunoNorway

Are you looking for guns and action movies or actual war movies?
Here are a few of my favorite war movies.

Hotel Rewanda.
Apocalypse Now.
Blood Diamond.
Shindlers List.
Brave Heart.
The Heroes Of Telemark.
Behind Enemy Lines.
Jarhead.
Windtalkers.
Platoon.
Buffalo Soldiers.
Lord Of War.
Pearl Harbor.

Rembrandt

1941's Sgt. York......a movie about rifle marksmanship, not about hosing the enemy with unlimited ammo. :) Highly recommend "Enemy at the Gates".

SgtYorkMovie.jpg
51EV8Qzk1mL._SS500_.jpg

B. Lahey

Stalingrad- from the krauts that brought you Das Boot, outstanding film, gritty as hell. It's enemy at the gates from the nazi side, better executed.

Stalingrad.jpg

Full Metal Jacket- also one of my favorites.

There are more great ones, let me think on it a minute...

JKHolman

firearms in film

This is a quick list that favours the firearm:

Quigley Down Under; The Patriot; The Alamo [gotta love Richard Widmark and that peppergun]; Die Hard; Black Hawk Down; The Wild Geese; Heat; Day of the Jackal [interesting sniper rifle]; Sergeant York [as mentioned earlier, excellent shooting discipline]; Winchester '73; The Long Riders; any of the Dirty Harry films; Dark Command; High Road to China [offers a good look at a Lewis gun]; Enemy at the Gates [one Mosin Nagant, five rounds, five facist invaders, and one really good marksman]; 318th Platoon; an episode in The Rifleman where Luke McCain uses a board to transform a six-shooter into a carbine.

whether any on this list are worth watching is not my point, but you can get some good looks at some really fine weapons.

- JKHolman

pesta2

Stalingrad- from the krauts that brought you Das Boot, outstanding film, gritty as hell. It's enemy at the gates from the nazi side, better executed.

+1 for that! One of the best War Movies ever.

PSP

The original All Quiet on the Western Front was, IMHO, as realistic and gritty as Saving Private Ryan. The battle scenes are raw, viscious and cruel. The "hanging hands" scene faced censorship issues in it's day.

SPUSCG

watched all quiet on the western front in history, loved it. special effects not great but so realistic. we were soldiers is the best vietnam movie ive seen. saving private ryan, enemy at the gates, saints and soldiers, dirty dozen are all good