Best small concealed carry gun?

cc-hangfire

There are classier guns, more expensive guns, better looking guns (many are already listed); but - for me - the Kel Tec P3AT is just SO easy to slide in the pocket with a DeSantis holster that it's with me 99% of the time. It's not impressive, & .380 is a minimal caliber, but it almost disappears in slacks.

SaxonPig

Any question asking for the best cannot be answered due to the many variables and subjective opinions.

What is most important you, ease of carry or power?

SA or DA?

A hundred more questions.

I like the Taurus TCP 380 because I want the lightest and most compact pistol and my minimum power level is the 380. You likely have different criteria. Nobody can tell you what is best for you except you.

tallball

IMHO the best for pocket carry is the LCP or P3AT (basically the same gun). I like my LCR for cargo shorts. I have a P32, but don't trust 32acp for SD. A hammerless alloy-framed j-frame is nice for back pocket carry, such as hiking or something like that when you are not going to be sitting down.

Glenn E. Meyer

See if you can borrow or rent the candidates and try them out. Shootable is as important as size.

Then if you get one, practice with - shoot it in a Bug competition - take a snubby class - if that's what you get.

IMTHDUKE

The little mouse that roars

This is not a range gun, so of course you need to change a 5 dollar recoil spring, every 200rds, I have about 600 on mine and still functions great. It does not fire +p....just thought I would get most of the nay sayers out first. And it is pricey. It is usually the folks who have never fired or own one that know most of the reasons they are not good pocket guns:D

TruthTellers

When I was looking for pocket pistols, I narrowed it to .32 or .380 ACP. Kel Tec's .32 is super light and can be one of best pocket guns in the world if only they would update the design with better sights and a better trigger. Maybe if they'd steal a play from the Ruger book, make it a striker fired pistol and call it the P-32s.

The other .32 that I would consider, even though the price is a bit more than I like, is the NAA Guardian. Slightly heavier than most of the smallest/lightest .380's due to its all stainless construction, it has to be a dream to shoot the light recoiling .32 from it. The size is insanely small too, unlike the larger .380 version of the Guardian, which I would pass on.

For .380's it came down to the Ruger LCP and the Kahr CW380. IMO a pocket gun should be polymer framed to reduce weight and resist moisture. I don't think Taurus TCP is worth the price because I think you can get much better for a little more and because Taurus customer service is infamous for being very poor.

I think the S&W Bodyguard has so many switches and safeties on the thing it gets disqualified from being considered a pocket gun. It's more of a shoulder holster or IWB gun.

The Beretta Pico sucks.

The Bersa Thunder is too big for a pocket, imo. A good gun tho. Same for Walther PPK.

The DB380 is not reliable.

So, all those contenders eliminated, it leaves Ruger's LCP and Kahr's CW380 (don't spend the money on the P380, it gives you literally nothing extra over thee CW380.) Now that the new Ruger LCP II is out, I consider it a top choice, although I think the LCP Custom is better, you'll A. never find one and B. Never find one for a lower price than the LCP II. The Kahr is also a good choice because it's so darn small. The sights are good, and the trigger's are crisp, but the only think I wonder about is the magazines as I've heard some negative things about the factory mag performance.

One thing to note about the LCP is you can buy 10 and 15 round extended mags from Promag and the 10 rounders work very well and are not so large as to be a joke to carry for a spare mag. The 15 rd mag is... silly.

Bill DeShivs

In reality, the P32 kicks a lot less than the NAA .32. I have both and have used them side by side.
The NAA is a blowback action, while the P32 is a locked breech gun. This accounts for the difference in recoil.
This doesn't mean the NAA is difficult to shoot, just that the recoil is sharper than the Keltec.

psyfly

^^^^That. I find the recoil in the NAA to be sharp enough to discourage a lot of practice. Despite the fact that it’s noticeably heavier than the P32.

In addition, for me at least, I can put 5 rounds into my official 9” paper plate target at 15’ with the P32.

My first try with the NAA .32, I didn’t even get one round through the plate.

The P32 is my go-to, drop-in-the-pocket gun when I can’t carry anything else.

And, what the hey, Bill? Some of us listen.

Will

Model12Win

The Makarov PM, while a bit large for pocket carry, is a valid option for larger pockets. You won't find a more reliable semi-auto carry gun than a Makarov.

adamBomb

Don't hesitate, get a pocket carry pistol. Ever since I got my Ruger LCP I barely carry my G26 (similar size as your shield). A pocket carry pistol is the best gun purchase I have made in my life. Its so easy to carry. Its no bigger than a wallet/cell phone and fits so easily in nearly every outfit. So go get one...I cannot stress this enough. I live at the beach in NC where its warm most of the year so my LCP is my go to gun most of the time now.

As far as model and caliber...I would go 380 for the simple fact that its so readily available. The .32 is great but its much tougher to find unless you are buying online. I went to 5 gun shops when I was looking for my pocket carry as the keltec 32 was on my list and each shop was like 'why would you consider the 32, its a dying round, when you could get a 380?'. I am not saying its a dying round or looking to argue with anyone about the 32 but I got the impression from 5 out of 5 different gun shops that I should definitely go 380 over 32. I considered the .22 too but I just found too many instances of unreliability. So go 380. You can buy it at every gun shop, walmart, etc. You cant say that for .32. Go to your local shops and see if you get the same reaction as me.

As far as brands, pick one of the main ones...ruger, SW, Keltec, taurus, etc. You have a SW sheild already so the SW might be a good option and it has an optional safety if you want one. The ruger is a pretty simple gun and has a good reliability record, plus its pretty cheap. I got mine for like $220 or something like that. The glock 42 is not a pocket carry gun for someone your size. Others can pocket carry them just fine but just dont get it. If you are looking for pocket carry get a true pocket carry gun. I think the sig is maybe a tad too big too. For some reason when people start talking about pocket carry you get people that say well I can carry my full size gun in my pocket...if anyone is hinting a gun is too big or something like that just cross it off your list. Get a true pocket carry gun. Dont try to make a big gun fit in your pocket.

I have fired a number of these 380s and dont find them any more difficult than my G26 or the G43 and similar size guns. I think its all about your hand size. I could easily put 200 rounds on my ruger in a session without an issue whereas some people complain their hands hurt at 50 rounds.

Then once you make your purchase get a good pocket holster. I have a desantis and its awesome. Looks like I have a wallet in my pocket. So easy to carry in shorts, slacks, gym shorts, etc.

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

.32 acp is one of the most widely used cartridges in the world.
It should be available at any decent gun shop, and is available at Walmart.

keithdog

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I spent some time yesterday at our local gun shop, a very good gun shop with a shooting range. After looking at several pistols for pocket carry, I fell in love with the Ruger LCP2. The size and weight are perfect for pocket carry, and the upgraded trigger of the new LCP2 is amazing. Love the reset! And best of all, it costs under $300.00. So I think I've made up my mind to get the LCP2. Thanks again everyone. :D

SIMP

keithdog said:
the upgraded trigger of the new LCP2 is amazing

I actually don't like the new trigger. Seems too light for a pocket pistol. I believe the LCP gen2 is the ideal pocket pistol. I just bought a second one! :)

gbran

Sig P238

Just bought this little jewel. Wanted it for deep carry. Really like it. Accurate for it's size.

37b7431b-d02f-4d92-84a7-71f0770ec5f2_zpszccdt2iq.jpg

SIMP

gbran said:
Just bought this little jewel. Wanted it for deep carry. Really like it. Accurate for it's size.

Great looking piece! How do you plan on carrying it? Does it seem to heavy and big for pocket? I tried a G42 in pocket but it didn't work very well for me. Went back to an LCP. Stay safe.

cpt-t

For me it is my Kahr CW9 and my Wife carries one also. We have been carrying our CW9`s for several years. With no problems what so ever. The Crimson Trace Laser Grips, we think make them even better.
ken