Best Shotgun for Home Defense

Cuban_Homer

So you probably get this question with each new member to the firing line, but here it goes again...

Looking at getting a hand gun for home defense, but concerned about the bullets going through walls. Now I am thinking about getting a shotgun. I also noticed that they are cheaper then handguns. The only brand I really know anything about is Mossberg.

What brands should I be looking at? What do you guys have for home protection? I still want to get a handgun but I think a shotgun would be easier for me to get.

So I don't want something that is going to beat me up when I shoot it. If you can give me shotguns with medium recoil that would be great.

LoneStarWings

I bought a reminton 870 7 shot synthetic personally and it works well. I am getting a small amount of rust on the magazine extension but nothing a little steel wool won't fix.

If you want reduced recoil I would look at a 20 gauge. A 12 guage is going to kick.

jlayman920

*Remington or Mossberg pump
*18.5"-20" barrel, cylinder bore
*Get full stock, don't mess with pistol grip
*12 gauge (if you want to reduce recoil get managed recoil ammo, most prefer 00 buckshot which will still definitely penetrate a wall. Some also prefer slugs but if you are worried about over penetration, those are out of the question)

I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" 7+1 shot with Federal reduced recoil 00 buckshot - chamber empty, seven in the magazine, five on the butt cuff.

mossberg_500_persuader8.jpg

wnycollector

I picked up a 20" mossberg maverick security (7+1 rounds) about a year and a half ago. It was the best $200 I have spend on a shotgun. super reliable and easy to shoot. I have it loaded with a reduced recoil fiocchi 00 buck. Most manufactures low recoil loadings are pretty easy on the shoulder. If you are concerned about overpenetration, you might want to look into #4 buckshot. The pellets are .24 cal vs .33 for 00.

My father-in-law picked up a 20ga youth NEF shotgun for his GF. That has been a very solid low recoil shotgun for her. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/350/products_id/48784

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
If it is a dedicated security gun only, the 7+1 Mossberg types are fine but if you will want to try other disciplines, the 5+1 is superior as barrel variants abound. Very limited selection for the higher capacity. But a mag tube/spring swap will make a 7+1 into a 5+...
Brent

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Best Shotgun for Home Defense?

It's the one you've run ammo through until you know it like your tongue knows your teeth.

Brand and style is relatively unimportant.

Good choices of shotguns include 870s, 500s, 590s,1300s, 11s,12s, 37s, 97s et al.

So are 311s.

Go shoot a few and pick one, then....

scorpion_tyr

The best shotgun for HD is the one that:

1) You have 100% confidence in.
2) Works when you need it to.
3) You know how to use.
4) You have customized to be perfect for you (if it's needed :D)

colostomyclown

agreed with scorpion, but in my case

its a mossberg 500, 18.5 or shorter (make sure youve got the ATF's permission!)
well broken in and maintained
loaded to the brim with 00 buck and a slug as the last shot

2edgesword

If we're talk HD I'd recommend a Mossberg 500 with a Knoxx recoil reducing pistol grip. We're not talking about hitting a target at 50 yards. We're talking about hitting a target at 3 ~ 15 yards most likely in low light conditions where you're not going to be using your sights. Practice point shooting with the grip up by your pectoral while looking at the target and the barrel slightly lower then level.

Cuban_Homer

Thanks. I wish the range I go to had more of a selection. They basically have 2 choices. A black one and a wood grain one. Basically they sell handguns and even that selection is limited.

I don't have many shops around me. Is it safe to buy online?

Greg_TX

All of the suggestions so far would be good choices. The best one would be a gun that you know well enough and have practiced with enough to make ready to fire, identify and hit your target at 3:45 am.

inSight-NEO

Mossberg, Remington, Benelli, Browning...its up to you and which appeals to you and fits you best. Brand, to me, has less to do with "HD" vs certain aspects such as barrel length, capacity, reliability, user friendliness, etc. But, if I just had to recommend a brand, I would go with Mossberg, Benelli or Remington.

I personally use a Mossberg 590 (8+1 which has essentially been converted to a 590 A1) for HD as it is well configured, has a receiver mounted safety, has plentiful part replacement availability and is relatively inexpensive to acquire. My Benelli SNT, while still acceptable for HD and frankly being of higher quality than the Mossberg, has basically been relegated to slug duty only, mainly due to parts replacement cost. I have yet to own a Remington, but if I ever do, it will be an 870 Police as Im not a huge fan of the "consumer" grade 870's.

In regards to barrel length, 18"-20" would be appropriate. For sights, possibly consider a front bead sight (maybe a tritium) only as this would give fast target acquisition at close ranges. If you desire a broader range for your HD weapon of choice, consider ghost ring sights as an alternative. But, for strict HD duty, I see no real advantage beyond using a front bead sight (again, consider a tritium front bead such as those offered by Meprolight).

In terms of stocks, full length PG stocks are nice as they give you solid control, but they are not as "politically" correct as "standard" stocks. While I certainly prefer a full stock w/PG, I opted to go with a standard unit for my Mossberg (speedfeed). But, it really boils down to personal preference and whats deemed acceptable, not only to you but to the local politicos.

In terms of capacity, I imagine that almost anything from 4 to 8+1 will do. Keep in mind, if you plan on storing ammo within the mag tube for extended periods of time, it would be wise to download by at least one round. Therefore, I would look at the 6+1 range or higher in order to compensate for any potential downloading.

Now, in terms of pump vs semi-auto......If you are looking at your first shotgun, I would go with a pump as it is generally considered more reliable vs the other. Semi-autos are nice, but will require more maintenance on your part and frankly, would be more likely to malfunction vs the pump variant.

Last edited:

inSight-NEO

I was leaning towards Mossberg originally, but then I heard Remington 870 was better. But I think Mossberg is more price friendly. I definitely want to go with a pump instead of semi auto.

I would be somewhat dubious about the "Remington is better" claim. To me, the only real advantage a new Remington has over a new Mossberg is parts availability. In addition, they may be somewhat more "refined" than Mossberg. But, make no mistake, I have heard of just as many 870's malfunctioning as Mossbergs. Actually, the majority of Mossberg issues (590) I have encountered were mainly due to the stock magazine spring. But, this is easily cured by simply replacing the spring with a Wolff brand spring. Older 870's are very nice..the newer ones are nothing to brag about (but I have heard good things about the recent 870P). But, again this is just my opinion.

The best advice I can give to you regarding "which is better" is to go out and handle each of these weapons. It seems as if you are debating between the Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870. So, try these out for yourself and see which one offers the features you desire and which one "feels" best. After all, its your life and the lives of your loved ones, not mine, that is in consideration here. Therefore, the final decision as to "which one is best" is entirely up to you my friend.

Also is it true the longer the barrel the less the recoil?

Im not sure about this one as I have never had the need to fire a shotgun with a barrel longer than 20". Regardless, Im thinking that the greatest "recoil reduction" comes from proper form and/or fit, the type of stock used and whether or not any type of recoil reduction device is present. But honestly, if you are primarily interested in acquiring a shotgun for HD, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

You need to also consider that, even if a longer barrel reduced recoil just a bit, I would not think it would offset the disadvantage(s) of dealing with the additional weight and cumbersome nature associated with a longer barrel (above 20") when it comes to HD.

Last edited:

guruatbol

A short barreled pump.

If you need to get it out, just pump it real loud! That sound by itself tends to scare off many! It worked for me. If that doesn't work, I read somewhere you should load it with #4 so it will kill at the close ranges of the interior of a house and not likely go through a wall and hit your kid on the other side.

I think that is pretty good advice!

Mel:cool:

inSight-NEO

Im not sure if this has even been suggested or not, but consider a 20 ga. shotgun if you are concerned about the recoil of a 12 ga. Sure, the 20 is not quite as effective, but within HD ranges its still quite formidable. But, I think you will find that a smoothbore 12 ga. is quite versatile, in terms of ammo, and when firing almost any 2 3/4" round, it is not nearly as "brutal" as one would imagine.

Last edited:
Pump. If you are going to keep it in a climate controlled area and not run a ton of rounds through it a maverick 88 produced by mossberg would be the best for your money.
A mossberg 500 will put up with more getting kicked around
An 870 a little more getting kicked around