Best set-up for wet tumbling

RoyceP

I got the big FART recently and tried it for the first time yesterday. With the FA juice and no pins I liked the way the brass looked after an hour of tumbling. I let it air dry and then put the cases in my Lyman vibrator with some pecan shell media and a bit of Simichrome polish for a couple hours.

I did not deprime the cases.

Got more FA juice on order.

ghbucky

See my comment above above about the media separator. I like the way it works and the end result when using SS pins. I have not found a pin in any case after using the separator when processing the brass after drying
Thanks. I guess I'll check it out.

RC20

Yes the Tornado is expensive, but my brother does great research and rather than try one I was not sure of, I went with that. I don't think I ever regretted getting too good vs not good enough (defined as I did not like it that well or it did not work out to full satisfaction)

I got to see his operation and found no lack of clean.

He on the other hand never got the LabRadar but has used mine a few times to confirm his velocity. If it reads its accuracy is extremely accurate so its a no question.

In the case (pun) of the Tornado, rather than move media around I went with a second tumbler.

My brother has no issue with 6.5 cases but when they stick, they go cross wise in the neck and are not coming out without prying. Often the cases get full of pins as well so its a wet mess and not cleaned.

No reason they could not cut pins to a couple of different lengths but do not, at least last look they were all .250 or so.

So the chips work fine for the smaller 6.5 cases and the pins work fine for the 30 caliber stuff I shoot.

A lot of this is satisfying yourself for what works for you. I am happy with the setup other than the pin stick and I solved that.

JKP

I use the FA small wet tumbler with citric acid powder, Dawn, and Southern Shine chips. I deprime first. Afterwards, I use the FA wet media separator. I think it's overpriced, but works so well, I like it. After drying for 20 minutes in an old toaster oven at 180 degrees, I check for split cases. Because the brass is so clean, I lightly lube with lanolin/alcohol lube before sizing. The sizing phase includes priming and case expanding with the Lyman M expander. After this, I dry tumble in corn cob with a little car wax. This removes the lube and keeps the brass from tarnishing. Then the cases are stored until I'm ready to add powder and bullets.

Last edited:

oldmanFCSA

I run 4 Thumler Tumbler barrels at once on a home made setup using a 1/4HP motor with a 2" drive puley, a 12" driven pulley mounted on pipe resting in pillow block bearings from Fleet Farm stores. Tygon tubing over pipe works as drive wheels.

Fill barrels 1/2 full with de-primed brass, full within 1/2" of top with water, add a small circle of Dawn, and a splash of LemiShine. Tumble 3-5 hours.

Dump into RCBS media separator, rotate while drenching with water, dump cases into collator, air dry with my home built turbo fan motor (will float 9mm & 45 cases out of collator if not covered with screen material) timer on turbo fan allows un-attended operation and ensures brass will be dry and ready to re-load.

But I have been reloading 50+ years and have adapted equipment to my needs.
These days I shoot more target 50BMG rounds than 223Rem rounds - embarrassing isn't it.

RC20

These days I shoot more target 50BMG rounds than 223Rem rounds - embarrassing isn't it.

More how do you stay in powder?

The Tornado wet setup has speed adjust, time adjust and it reverses. Clean a batch in an hour, could probably shorten some.

The chips clean faster than the pins but both work fine.

I build up lanoline in the pins or chips and will use dish soap to clean out.

I tumble after I do the resize. Get the primer pockets and the die lube off.

Noise is an issue but I can easily move it outside under cover. Usually I resize later afternoon and just let it tumble in the shop after I got to bed and flush it in the am.