Best revolver in .38 Spcl. for plinking?

ea2

I bought a used 15-4 at a gunshow a few years back for my wife (at least that's what I told her when she found out about it).

It's more accurate than me. The wife loves it, too!

I still prefer the ease of cleaning semi-autos, though. 6 chambers gets to be a pain after sessions with wadcutters.

Hal

Overall, I prefer an older P&R Smith Model 19 (.38/.357mag) simply because it offers the option of using the more powerful magnum round if you wish.
Even though I have little to no use for the .357mag, it's nice to know I have the option. Kind of like having a V6 engine here in Ohio, vs having a 4 cylinder. Hills are few and far between, but when you do encounter one, it's nice to have that little extra oomph - without getting "hammered" by the overhead of a V8.
Oddly, a "nice" 19 vs a "nice" 10 is often the cheaper way to go and easier to find. This could just be a local thing though.

Fred S

it's nice to know I have the option. Kind of like having a V6 engine here in Ohio, vs having a 4 cylinder. Hills are few and far between

:D Heh heh, that's good Hal. I grew up in Toledo and didn't know what a hill was until I went to College down in Athens! :eek:

Trapdoor Billy

While any of the K frame 38 Smiths are fun to shoot I kinda agree with Hard Ball on the N frame Models. I don't own an Outdoorsman, but I do have a few Heavy Duty models.

Peter M. Eick

I would argue that the 38/44 outdoorsman is the best plinker if you want to have adjustable sights. After that the 38/44 heavy duty pre-war is the second best! Carry some history to the range!

chaim

Yet another vote for the K-frame Smiths, but I do think the Taurus 82 is a good gun at a good price that is too often overlooked.

LAK

The biggest problem in picking a favorite .38 is the sheer number of choices. While I have a spot for the Model 15 S&Ws I carried in the service, I would be equally happy with about any of the 4" models K frames.

The Colt "Viper" that came out in the late 70s for awhile and the old Diamondback appeal to me, though I do own either one at present.

PATH

An Update!

I just bought two Model 10s. 10-3 and 10-6 both with 4 inch barrels. I think I will have them reblued! Gasp! Let the fun begin! :) :D

JimFox

There aren't many of us - but I'll add a vote for the Colt Diamondback with the 4 inch barrel. In my mind just about the perfect size and balance for the .38 Special. And with good sights.