Best revolver in .38 Spcl. for plinking?

PATH

I love the Model 10. A true workhouse and such classic lines. They are reasonably priced as well. (I love buying used in order to get bargains).

Bill Adair

Path,

The 10 is one of my favorite models as well, but my aging vision makes fixed sights much harder to see.

When target shooting with my model 10's I use a Farrsight from Brownells to sharpen the focus a bit, and that makes plinking difficult.

I often plink with a model 15, because the adjustable sights just work better for me, but even those fade quickly in low light. :(

What barrel lengths do you like in the M10?

Bill

PATH

Bill,

4 or 5 inch is great. This is a great revolver which has been overlooked of late as the semi-auto has come to the fore. It is a must for any collection!

Raider

My Model 10 is the 4 inch Victory Model - parkerized 38 spec. Almost 60 years old and still is very accurate with excellent trigger.

RIKA :)

Tommy gunn

I like the Colt Official Police revolver with the four inch barrel.

It is a bit heavier than the S&W M10 and can be used with stout +P handloads.

JoeHatley

Any of the "K-38s" are great fun to shoot.

This 14-4 has always been more accurate than I can hold...

14_4l.jpg

.38 special revolvers can often be found at real bargin prices.

Joe

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I was about to say "The Model 14's and 15's", but I see that several of the cognoscenti have beaten me to it. :D

Lavan

I miss my old M10. It was a $25 special in the '60's. And, of course I put the requisite Franzite plastic stag grips on it.

Had a ball with it.

Now only K frames I own are a 66 and a 17.

So I shoot .38's in the 66.

No need (for me) to have a big KA-POW when a BANG will do.

:D

Bill Adair

Path,

I have a blue five inch, and a blue six inch (thin barrel versions), and have been looking for a four inch blue, thin barrel 10-5 in pristine condition, for several years now (without success).

Some day, I hope to own a blue thin barrel 10-5 in every barrel length. :D

Since there were so many model 10 variants, I can't afford to collect them all, so I limit my choices to that finish, engineering change, and barrel style. I also like the wider front sight on the 10-5, so that was a consideration.

Both are a joy to shoot, but the six is my favorite.

Bill

PATH

Bill,

Sounds like you have some great revolvers there. I'm thinking of picking up a beater and having my friend re-blue it and give it a tune up. You just can't beat them for the price. There are a ton on the market since most PDs have gone to semi-auto.

I have noticed that they are being snatched up by security companies and are being issued as side arms for armed guards. The gun store I work at sold 5 in this manner in one shot.

Revolvers are a thing of beauty forever! :D

Bill Adair

Path,

Great idea! :)

Wish I had a friend like yours who can re-blue firearms, because I'd love to have a shooter model 10 that also looks good.

Interesting about the model 10 being used by security agencies, but it makes perfect sense, and it sure beats the price of new handguns.

The model 10 has probably taken more criminals off the streets, than any other weapon in history. :D

Now, I really need to find that NIB (or like new) four inch, blue, pencil barrel 10-5. :D

Bill