Best quality factory target revolver in .38special? of all eras.

dgludwig

QUOTE: "...Even in traditional bullseye there were double action (da) matches, or at least used to be.

Anyway you can see more about Distinguished Revolver matches here..."

Traditional Bullseye matches as opposed to "Distinguished Revolver" competition always involved shooting the handgun with one hand. I've competed in Bullseye matches since 1962 and have seen a lot of changes since that time; first autos replacing revolvers for the most part and then optics replacing irons for most shooters (some of us, though, still stubbornly cling to iron sights).

As most of you probably know, traditional Bullseye competition involves firing the handgun offhand (no support) with one hand, shooting three stages of fire: slow fire (10 shots in 10 minutes using either a smaller target or shot at 50 yards as opposed to the larger targets or the shorter 25 yard distance for timed and rapid fire); timed fire (5 shots in 20 seconds; total 10 shots) and rapid fire (5 shots in 10 seconds; total 10 shots).

Though its always been "legal" to fire the revolver in double-action in all stages of fire, almost all Bullseye competitors shot revolvers in single-action, including the timed and rapid fire events. Keeping the proper cadence and the need to cock the hammer for each shot in timed and rapid fire stages was the main reason for adopting the auto when they evolved with better accuracy (tighter fitting, better sights and smoother/lighter triggers) and reliability.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Model 14 masterpiece SINGLE ACTION Only. Manufactured in '61 & '62 . The theory , I believe was that the single action only lockwork, without the d/a works had a shorter lock time, increasing the hammer speed. This was supposed to increase accuracy. Did it work? I don't know. Pretty short sales life for the pistol. I actually owned one once and foolishly sold it!

According to The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, the single action only version of the Model 14 was made from 1961 until 1982. The hammer and trigger were different than the standard hammer and trigger, there being no double action sear on the hammer. I'm not quite sure what was different about the trigger. The single action only version was popular enough that S&W offered the SAO hammer and trigger as a kit that could be bought at many gun shops. The parts were drop in into a standard Model 14, they did not require smithing. Locktime was the same, however the trigger pull was lighter, only about 2 pounds.

Today, the only way one can know for sure if a SAO Model 14 left the factory that way is to letter it. If the box comes with the gun, the SAO version is so marked on the end paper of the box.

tipoc

This gun was mentioned earlier so I'll post a few pics. This is a Colt New Service Target Model in 44 Spl. and 44 Russian with a 7 1/2" barrel. It was produced in about 1940. This gun and earlier Target Models featured front sights which adjusted for elevation and rear sights only for windage. The guns featured a small bead on the front sight, in the case of this one brass. The New Service was the largest double action revolver Colt produced.

On this gun the rear sight is from King's gun sight company. For awhile Colt offered them as an option, this one may have been added by the owner after it left the factory.

tipoc

rkbanet

My choice the the Manurhin MR73, in particular the MR38 Match version...

Attachments

• Manurhin.jpg
    Manurhin.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 33
  • MR-73-0-980x551.jpg
    MR-73-0-980x551.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 27
  • MR73-Match-4-980x475.jpg
    MR73-Match-4-980x475.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 27

tipoc

Bullseye shooting has a long history and development in this country. It began before the advent of double action revolvers. Once DA revolvers were adopted by the military and law enforcement their use in matches became more wide spread. The sport was wide ranging. It became more systematized when Congress in 1904 moved to task the National Rifle Association and the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) to promote the use of the rifle amount civilians and to co-ordinate the sport and matches with the Army. Rifle matches benefited and shortly after handgun.

National matches under their rules were first held in 1903. Double action shooting was a common factor with both the military matches and the police matches (which became PPC). These all featured courses of fire where one handed shooting at fixed targets from a fixed position in both single and double action firing were a critical part of the courses.

In 1914 the DCM authorized the selling of the 1911 pistol (as the standard service sidearm) to members of the NRA to promote their use in marksmanship. Matches in the military under standard rules were already being held. The pistol was introduced to bullseye shooting via the military and national matches because it was the standard service side arm. It was widely used by the time of the Camp Perry matches in 1920.

The 1911 and early Colt semi-auto 22s were introduced into bullseye because they were service sidearms (the 22 for training) and once there were accurized. It was not the case that they were introduced only after they became accurate. They became more accurate after they were introduced and as a result of it.

Courses of fire have changed over the years. There are also varied stages and courses. All can fall into the category of traditional, including those where da firing is a part.

About 4 times more people engage in sanctioned NRA bullseye matches in the U.S. then take part in the combat oriented sports.

tipoc

walnut1704

Colt did make a run of Pythons in .38 Special in the 80's. They had 8" barrels and were roll marked "Python Target" on the barrel.

Not really much use for one handed shooting, unless you're the Incredible Hulk. The thing was heavy. I had a hard time getting a full cylinder off using two hands without taking a rest. And I was young(er). The gun was too heavy so I sold it and I don't regret it.

Off sandbags it shot like a rifle though.

jmstr

Thanks again everyone,

I found my Colt 22: an Officers' Model Match. Just have to wait 30 days for my state to allow me to buy another handgun [once over a certain threshold, the delay is really pointless- even if we were to concede there ever was a point in the first place].

Now, I need to decide how thick my wallet is. Do I want a set of Pre-War Colts [38 and 22] AND a set of Post-War Colts [22 and 38]?:confused:

or do I just call it quits on the Colts and start saving for the S&W's?

Hmmm.

dgludwig

You've got a great target revolver. If it were me, I'd start saving for your Colt's long-time adversary; the Smith & Wesson Model 17/K22 Masterpiece. Later, a Colt Officers Model Special/Match and a Smith Model 14/K38 Masterpiece (both chambered in .38 Special) and, finally (;)), a Smith & Wesson Model 1955 Target/Model 25 revolver chambered in .45 ACP. This would be a fabulous collection of old time, beautifully made, finely finished and superbly accurate Bullseye target revolvers; classics that can still be used for competition today.

Once you finish your target revolver collection, you can turn your attention to target autos developed for Bullseye shooting...:)

PzGren

Of the target revolvers that I used for competition I prefer the Korth, second is the S&W 14-2, the Python takes a distant third place.

imagejpg2_zpsf8cb0a3e.jpg

Nill.jpg

jmstr

dgludwig, I took your advice, but am tapped out until next year.

I found a S&W K38 Target Masterpiece from 1957 to add to my collection.

Now to wait for my state's DROS process and 30 day wait process to go through, so I can bring both the Colt and the K38 home.

dgludwig

QUOTE: "...dgludwig, I took your advice, but am tapped out until next year.

I found a S&W K38 Target Masterpiece from 1957 to add to my collection."

Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day. Any connoisseur of finely made firearms will applaud your choices. I'm certain that you'll never regret your investment in these great, classic revolvers. Be sure to send some 148 grain wadcutters down their pipes and let us know how they shoot.