Best Platform for 40sw to 357sig Conversion

Rinspeed

Lots of .40 loads are dead ringers for .357 sig. No switching nor barrell swaps necessary

You're going to have to clarify that statement some my friend because I'm very confused by it. :confused:

t45

Not sure about best but my Sig 2022 handled the 40cal/357Sig conversation just fine. Just a barrel swap.

Deaf Smith

I go the Glock 31 .357 Sig to .40 S&W route.

Why? Cause the .40, having a bit of unsupported barrel, is a great candidate for a Storm Lake .40 Supported barrel. The Sig does not need it so I use stock Sig barrel for it.

Deaf

lamarw

I will second or third the vote (what ever the count is now) on the Sig P229. Not to say it is the best. It could be the best overall bang for the bucks. Police trade-ins can easily be had for around or well under $400.00. This is probably also true with Glock and S&W's in .40 pistols.

I acquired a P229 in over 90% condition with two magazines for $415.00 and may of over-paid. I then added a new Sig Sauer 357 Sig barrel for $170.00.

These trade-ins remind me of the days when you could get a S&W Model 10 revolver for little money. Now, the Model 10's are get a tad pricier.

FNS-40

Did you ever get a 40/357 pistol? I know it's been a few months but check out the FNS40. EFKdragon sells barrels for them.

jackstrawIII

FNS-40,

I did. I bought a Sig P226 in 357 Sig, but I've since traded it. I've never shot well with Sigs and this one was no different. Just can't get used to the triggers on them.

Maybe I'll give the 357 Sig another chance in another format again down the road, but we'll see. Maybe in an M&P or something.

jfruser

Kel-Tec P-40 is the platform for you.

Because you will be one of the very few men on earth to have one. Man walks down the street with a KT P-40 converted to .357Sig, people know he's not afraid of anything. Certainly not recoil.

I even know a guy who has one (KT P-40) with a nickel-plated slide that has proved reliable and just had all the springs replaced (save the mainspring, that was hunky-dory).

Come on, all these other offerings are too pedestrian for a true gun looney. And in even considering .357Sig, you are dipping your toes into the gun-looney pool. The only thing stopping you is your good judgment and the thought of lighting off a 14oz sub-compact chambered in .40S&W or .357Sig.

Rinspeed

jfruser said:
Kel-Tec P-40 is the platform for you.

Because you will be one of the very few men on earth to have one.

Kel-Tecs are junk but the damn things work, not really sure how they work but they do, just in my limited experience with three of them. Often times when I'm just running to the store for milk I will grab my P3AT and throw it in my back pocket. Sure I only have 600 rounds through it and mostly shoot/carry FMJ in it but I fully trust the thing. The thought of shooting a bunch of .40 or .357 rounds through one of them is rather scary. ;)

Vividia

My "convertible" in semi Auto is a Sig P229 in 40 and 357 sig.

At first I didn't think i liked it, but then i tried several brands and weights of ammo until i found what suited the gun and me best. Now it's one of my favorites.. Also nice that it's small enough to carry, especially in winter with a jacket. (Otherwise it's a p938)

My other convertible is a Ruger Blackhawk in 9mm/357 mag. Flexibility is me!

pblanc

My "convertible" in semi Auto is a Sig P229 in 40 and 357 sig.

At first I didn't think i liked it, but then i tried several brands and weights of ammo until i found what suited the gun and me best. Now it's one of my favorites.. Also nice that it's small enough to carry, especially in winter with a jacket. (Otherwise it's a p938)

Yes, that is what I have as well. Just out of curiosity, what brands and weights of ammunition do you favor?

pblanc

How does the recoil compare between 9, 357sig and 40? Guessing 357 sig is in between but closer to 40.

I would say that 357 SIG is similar to .40 S&W but different. Some people prefer shooting 357 SIG to .40 caliber and feel it is easier to control. Others feel the opposite way.

No question that 357 SIG has more muzzle flash. It is also considerably louder and more expensive (for practice FMJ ammunition) than .40 S&W.

Personally, I feel that 357 SIG is a bit harder to control than .40 S&W and has a bit stouter recoil. But I have shot .40 for many years and I am quite used to it. I am a relative newcomer to 357 SIG. Also, the greater bang and flash might make the recoil seem greater than it really is. I would probably shoot a great deal more of 357 SIG if it wasn't for the ammunition expense.