Best pistol caliber vs body armor, NO Colorado posts!

Willie Sutton

"The acceleration time for the gun is only the time from powder ignition until the bullet leaves the casing - and the gas starts expanding down the barrel."

Uhh... no. The accelleration G loads are peak when the bore velocity is peak. Bore pressure v/s bullet position in bore charts show this clearly, the peak pressure point will of course vary based on the burn rate of the propellent, etc. But pressure does not drop to zero until the bullet is long gone from the bore. Until that occurs there will be thrust rearwards which is part of felt recoil.

However, we do generally agree, and I do see your point. It's all about time. But before we go there, consider this:

The recoil pulse is present (albeit variable) until bore pressure drops to zero, which is sometime after the bullet exits the bore.

Even after the bullet reaches it's external ballistics phase, gas is being ejected from the bore until bore pressure drops to zero. This takes a discrete period of time, and during that time you can imagine it as though you are on the receiving end of a low thrust rocket engine (which is exactly what it is at that moment).The time base of the equation is the key... that goes both for the accelleration phase and the decelleration phase. One thing that soft armor does as opposed to hard armor is to lengthen the decelleration phase, thus lowering the peak loads produced. Hard armor deforms less, but the time base for decelleration of the projectile is shorter. The recipient will feel it as a sharper "crack" against the armor as opposed to a longer and softer "thump" with soft armor. Naturally we are talking milliseconds here, but in physics milliseconds are a liftime... ;) Double the time base and the peak G loads are reduced by a huge amount. Make the time base 10X and the the forces drop off... orders of magnitude and all... and this is what your math shows.

S0: A firearm produces X Joules of energy. By definition half is projected in one direction and the other half is projected in the opposite direction. The felt result (at either end) is all based on the mass of the system in motion and the time base over which the force is spread.

Should I run the calculus? :eek: We are getting closer and closer to my professional field of expertise.... :cool:

More germane to the discussion: The keys to penetration are velocity, sectional density, geometry of the projectile, and projectile hardness. Thin, fast and hard (IE: non expanding)beats the same kinetic energy level delivered thick and slow. Sabot's shedding off of a small diameter hardened penetrator is how it's done on real armor.

Willie

Last edited:

Edward429451

The ability to penetrate soft armor is all about tip design and not velocity. I notice the the SS-197SR FMJ, which is the civilian FN ammo is listed as FMJ but most certainly is not, having a blue polymer tip! The alternate is HP. Since when is V-Max a FMJ? LOL.No wonder they wont penetrate armor. The feds are running around with the real FMJ's!

This is easily remedied at the load bench with surplus 55 gr FMJ slugs. You wont get the high velocities of the other rounds, but you wont need it because of the true FMJ.

From the Website:

www.FiveseveNammo.com carries both civilian-legal versions of 5.7x28mm ammo - the 40-Grain SS197SR FMJ (blue tipped V-MAX) and the 28-Grain SS195LF (lead-free hollow point duty round). Questions? Call Max 802-479-0044 or 802-728-6638 or E-mail: FirearmsB@aol.com

http://www.fivesevenammo.com/shop/page2.html

Wiki says the AP round for the 5.7 is a 31 gr FMJ (SS190 AP) spec to 2350 FPS (10.35" BBL). This would be an easy round to make with a set of those dies for turning fired 22 cases into .224 slugs.

Last edited:

testuser

The problem is your talking about defeating body armor with ball ammo, not steel core rounds, which are illegal to own. Level IIIa is starting to get very inexpensive, about $100 for a soft armor insert, that's going to be tough to beat without steel core rounds.

5.7mm and 7.62x25 steel core rounds might penetrate a level IIIa vest. Ball ammo won't, in fact, FN and even the NRA have stated that 5.7mm is OK to sell to civilians because it isn't armor piercing.

Still, for $299 you could just about anyone could buy the Level IV plates on Amazon. A 5.56mm won't penetrate these...

http://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-plate...343253443&sr=8-8&keywords=level+IV+body+armor

Here are the body armor specs, so you can draw your own conclusions (try page 34).

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/189633.pdf

Last edited:

scrubcedar

So are we back to the first question then? Is there legal ammo that is effective against the body armor we're most likely to see? If the answer is no
It's time to focus on drills and having an accurate enough weapon for headshots.

Willie Sutton

"So are we back to the first question then? Is there legal ammo that is effective against the body armor we're most likely to see?"

No.

Armor works.

If available cartidges would defeat it, they would change the armor design.

Simple, isn't it?

Willie

Deaf Smith

Actually there IS a way with conventional cartridges and handguns.

But I won't say how on the 'net.

But a hint... sabot.

Deaf

TXAZ

It's not the weapon

It's the guy (or girl) pulling the trigger.
If you can't hit a barn door with a .50 BMG, it's of little value. If you can consistently put 2 out of 3 in the 5 ring (or 1 in the eye) under duress, a .22 may be be more than appropriate.

Isn't there a story about once a year where highly trained professional police officers fired 30+ rounds and failed to hit a suspect an close to medium range?

scrubcedar

So how do we train/equip to fight the new threat? If headshots become the only effective reply to the situation what do we add to our training? Other than recommending lots of paper punching I am now completely out of my depth. Suggestions?

stevelyn

Could you expand a bit on how the drill is taught at your agency? Just saw a discussion on another forum and there's dispute as to whether it should be

2 shots COM -- Assess -- 1 shot cranium (repeat if necessary)

or

2 shots COM -- 1 shot cranium -- Assess (repeat if necessary)

Straight from my instructor's manual as taught by the Alaska DPS Academy where 80% of police officers statewide and all the Troopers are trained:

"Fail-To-Stop Drill- (Plan B) After hitting the assailant with a pair to the upper chest, minimum standard response to lethal threat(italics mine) you should quickly evaluate whether the shots were effective. If they were not effective, you should change plans and determine if a head shot is available. If the head is still there and you have a high probability of hitting it, you should deliver one shot to the head. Remember, the head is a difficult target to hit due to its small size and ability to turn rapidly."

So.........Two shots, assess......one to the head if the action hasn't stopped. I think in reality everyone will repeat as necessary.

It goes on to say in the next paragragh it should stop the fight if accurate, but a miss is a danger to bystanders (duh) and should not be attempted beyond 5 yards unless you are confident of making a hit.

However, in my experience due to the nature of qualifications being timed they deliver all three shots as fast as they can. The qual doesn't have an assess feature built into it. In training though I do teach 2 shots, assess, head shot and we fling lots rounds down range when doing drills for skill building. Hopefully that'll be the default in an actual event.

JohnKSa

Administrator
This sounds like most service pistols are capable of the accuracy needed.
Out to 15-20 yards, this is true of most pistols. It's not terribly uncommon to find pistols that are capable of head shot accuracy out to 50 yards and beyond. However, the accuracy of a pistol, is very rarely the long pole in the tent, so to speak. That's true even at the range, when conditions are ideal.

The fact that I have a pistol that is capable of making head shots at 50 yards, is absolutely no evidence at all that I will able to make a head shot at 3 yards in a gunfight using that pistol.

Coach Z

I'm struggling to find the video but I believe most of the 5.7 loads from elite ammunition will go through everything except a trauma plate. They're commercial ammo no AP.

pgdion

Stevelyn,This sounds like most service pistols are capable of the accuracy needed.
Good point, so does this call into question the role of the 'pocket pistol then? I've often thought of downsizing but it makes me wonder, perhaps something about the size of my Cougar is about is small as you'd want to go? :confused:

That compact Cougar may have just moved to the top of my wish list.

BlueTrain

Every pistol I've ever owned, except for one or two, were sufficiently accurate out to 25 yards (maximum distance at the range) to keep hits on a three-inch square. The caliber and size of the handgun made no difference. They were all capable of more accuracy than I was capable of holding off-hand. Naturally group size isn't all it takes. You have to keep the hits on the center of the target, so some sight adjustments might be called for.

To elaborate, some were easier to use than others (easier to make hits with, that is), but again, there was no real correlation between the size of the gun or the caliber and how hard it was to make the hits. Some pistols were difficult to get off a quick second shot with, but that's a different issue.

Of course, one person's "pocket pistol" is another person's service handgun.

WV_gunner

If handgun bullets could go through body armor, then the bullets would be illegal or the body armor would be improved. And even if there was a good armor piercing round made for civilians, it would be horrible against unarmored threats.

Now, if someone is using home made armor out of just regular steel plate then almost anything should go through it. I have a spinning 3/8ths thick steel target that's ratted for a .44 Magnum. A 33-30 put a hole in it with regular Federal 150 grain soft points at 80 yards. I can only imagine what a .243 would do. But unless someone is an idiot and thinks they can put regular steel plate, this probably would do nothing more than bruise someone with real armor.

scrubcedar

So has anyone seen or heard of effective training other than the Mozambique drill we already talked about? You would think it was looked into by LE after the California shooting.

So has anyone seen or heard of effective training other than the Mozambique drill we already talked about? You would think it was looked into by LE after the California shooting.

Well there are a variety of drills people learn in training. Not all would work here, such as shooting until the threat stops...which doesn't work if the threat is well protected with armor.

I assume that by the "California shooting," you mean BofA North Hollywood Bank Robbery. There strategy was to shoot the suspects in the head which was a failure for most of their 800 rounds as nobody could hit the suspects in the head, except the suspect. The next notion was a change of platform to rifles and even then the practice was to shoot the guy in the legs.

If handgun bullets could go through body armor, then the bullets would be illegal

There is no such law. The law does not mandate what the bullet can or cannot go through, but how it is constructed. In most legal aspects of armor, armor is "hard" armor. As noted, a 500 S&W will go through body armor just fine, soft armor, no problem.

762x54

The 7.62 tokarev (7.62x25) cuts through anything with surplus ammo. Cheap and effective corrosive ammo though.

Commercial ammo doesn't cut through like the surplus but still hits like a mac truck filled with hammers.

Found this out after knocking a hole in my reactive steel target, ao im guessing 1/4 steel > kevlar.