Best NEW lever actions?

Model12Win

Henry makes the best lever guns today. They've been family owned for nearly 150 years. They still make the classic Model 1860, I handled one at Cabelas and it was gorgeous and VERY smooth. It's probably the finest production lever gun pound for pound made right now.

mxsailor803

I've got a couple rimfire Henry's and couple pistol caliber Henry's. Great shooters. I did install Skinner sights on 3 out of 4 of my Henry's (the wifes rifle, she didn't like the Skinner). Oh, history fact, these are not the same as the companies original Henrys. Same name and tradition but not the same company.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Henry has been family owned, by the Imperatos, since about 1993, when it was founded. :)
Denis

peggysue

Model12Win is an expert as he has handled one. at Cabelas..LOL..doesn't have one...LOL..but he is an expert...complaining about its weight...

Last edited:

Shooter2675

I bought a Henry .30-30 blued receiver around Christmas time at Cabelas. I love the gun, it is so smooth and when I compared the finish to a Remlin they had at Cabelas, it was no contest. The Henry was much nicer. Granted they cost a little more and are a little heavier, but man are they nice. I love the wood stock as well. To me, I actually find the tube loading magazine good, because I have used my Grandfather's Marlin before (actually my Great-Grandfathers before him, a real Marlin, way before Remington bought them) and I find the side loading gate scratches the brass more and since I am a reloader, that troubles me a little bit. It think people have opinions about any kind of gun, and some like the side loader, some don't. I for one have tried both and prefer the Henry style. I have also shot a Henry .22, even thought they have that receiver shell they are stil wonderful rifles.

In my opinion, I would no doubt get the Henry. Lifetime warranty... Can't beat that.

John

Tony Z

I'm still a bit confused about the receiver shell-is this a very thin cover that is installed over a steel base or what?

Bear with my question as I ain't a young-un any more (62), mainly because I purchased many of my firearms in the 70's & 80's, then because of marriage, kids & starting a business, had to step away from non-necessary purchases for a while. Returning to the guns shows many of the guns I once lusted over no longer available and some with the company sold (Marlin the company, Savage the Model 99, original Ithaca Model 37 Featherlite, Savage 22 mag over .410 and so forth!).

DPris

Member Emeritus
The rimfire Henrys use a hollow cover that simply encloses the real receiver & guts.

It's not particularly thin, but it's not a solid chunk of steel like the older Winchesters & Marlins, or a solid chunk of steel or brass like the Henry centerfires.

The rimfire Henry uses an entirely different design.

You can probably find an exploded parts diagram somewhere via Google.
Denis

Tony Z

Thanks Denis. Now I thinking I may be able to get a "Golden Boy" cover for my "plain jane" Henry and have some fancy engraving done on it before installing. Maybe a tang and globe front sight to complete the picture!

Then again, as it is one of the carbines, with oversize lever, that may ruin the plinking fun afforded by the gun (nearly as much fun as my Browning BL-22!). Maybe I'll just have to get another, with an octagon barrel to fit out this way!

Henryguy

The Golden Boy cover will not fit the "plain Jane" versions, totally different versions. The GB has a different stock drop and receiver configuration, sorry.
Jim

Devargas1

Marlin vs. Henry lever action

Marlin 336s in 30-30 pre-Cerberus rock. I have two that I have shot the snot out of for many years ( I am 68-ugh) and they still run fine. One looks like I've been using it as a club... ain't pretty but good camp gun. I have a Henry Big Boy in .45 long Colt that is a terrific 100 yard or under shooter with Buffalo Bore high pressure loads and yes, she is a heavy girl. I wanted another .45-70 and was looking at the Marlin Cowboy with 10-in-the-tube. They are a bit hard to find new right now and I have to agree with the QC issues on the current threads. Soooo I wound up with a Henry .45-70 in the blued finish. I love this rifle... great ammo selection for anything from deer to dinosaur and the action is like butter. I am not satisfied with the rear sight (buckhorn) and will replace before I take her hunting though. Enjoy looking and good luck!

8MM Mauser

The first is with the company associating itself with BT Henry, the inventor of the Henry rifle that laid the foundation for the Winchester "empire".

I don't understand why people have so much objection to this: but nobody seems to care that Springfield Armory does the same thing!

I don't understand why people have so much objection to this: but nobody seems to care that Springfield Armory does the same thing!

No, it is not the same thing. On the Springfield Armory web page they make it clear that they are not the same Armory that was founded in 1777.

Henry, on the other hand prominently features photos of the original Henry rifle, B.T. Henry, and history of the Henry name. They even have the gall to publish a photo of the old Winchester factory in New Haven and claim it is the 'Original Henry Factory'. No where do they state that they are not in fact the same company that built the Henry rifle from 1862 until 1866. That is called lying through omission.

The owners of the Henry Repeating Arms Company are very clever marketers. By publishing information that seems to form a link between themselves and the manufacturer of the original Henry rifle, gullible gun buyers believe they are dealing with a company that is over 150 years old. The fact is, there never was a Henry Repeating Rifle company. The original Henry rifle was produced by the New Haven Arms Company, which later became the Winchester Repeating Arms Company. The name Henry was in public domain. By incorporating under a historic and well recognized name, the owners of HRAC were able to ride on the coat tails of a famous name.

To read how the Henry rifle was developed and the Winchester company came to being, follow this link. The story is actually much more interesting than the fairy tale that HRAC promotes. A couple of guys named Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson were involved too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Repeating_Arms_Company

Last edited:

zachattack2

I have a Henry 22 and my brother has a Henry 30-30.

Durable, not to heavy, smooth action, and Henry is a family owned company.
I would recommend Henry.

osbornk

Driftwood, like Hillary said "At this point, what difference does it make?" I don't care that it is not connected to the original Henry rifle and that it is different anyway. All I care about is that it is buttery smooth, has a lifetime warranty and has a much better price than the competition. That is the reason I bought my Henry and I have had no regrets.

I don't trust modern Marlins. I would have to examine them on a case by case basis and I don't think the salesman would appreciate me disassembling them on their counter.

That said, I'd go with Miroku.