Best intermediate rifle round and why

Which is the best intermediate rifle round?

• 6.8 SPC

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • .300 BLK

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • 7.62x40WT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .50 Beowulf

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • .458 SOCOM

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 7.62x39

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • 5.45x39

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 37 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iMagUdspEllr

@L_Killkenny: Those aren't intermediate rifle rounds? I mean, I could be wrong. But, I'm pretty sure those are too powerful to be considered intermediate rifle rounds. Please, please correct me if I'm wrong.

barefoot

Ok, are you interested in other's opinions, or are you trying to stir the stink? :D

Did you leave out 223/5.56 (probably the most common after 7.62x39) on purpose?

Best for what? Home defense? punching paper? Hunting for meat? Hunting predators (4-legged)? Hunting predators (2-legged)? Military duty? LE duty?

Best in what gun? AR? AK? Short action bolt?

I'm just thinking you might get better discussion if you harden the target a bit (pardon the pun).

As for me, I just got an AR in 5.56, but will eventually get another upper/caliber more suitable for deer/pig hunting - so I clicked this thread to get some feedback of my own...

mrawesome22

Other for sure.

243Win
260Rem
7MM-08Rem

For a handloader there are even much better options such as 6XC, 6MMRem, 6PPC, and so on and so forth.

dalegribble

of the ones listed i picked the 762x39 simply because firearms and ammo are easily accessable. of the calibers not listed i'd pick the 243 winchester.

Abndoc

I voted for other. My personal best for accuracy is my 6.5x55 Swede. My best for plinking fun is my 30/40 Army Krag. My best for cheap accuracy is my customized Ruger 10/22.( Ooops, not an intermediate round) My best for nostalgia is my 03 Springfield in 30.06. My best for semi auto is my AR, followed closly by my Garand And then by my SKS. My best for long range field shooting is my Savage .308 varmint rifle. If I'm after birds, I guess my best would be my shotgun.

I guess best depends on my mood.

Mrgunsngear

IMAG1047.jpg

I went for the 5.45x39 of the options. Since we're talking 'intermediate' rounds, this one is what came to mind. Not much more recoil than a 22lr, shoots flat out to 500m, tumbles upon impact making nasty wounds, very lightweight, and it's about 13 cents a round these days. Works for me...

PawPaw

.30-30 Winchester comes to mind. I've got four .30-30s in the locker and none of the others on your list. You can load the .30-30 from mild to wild, either pushing a 170 grain bullet to 2200 fps, or pushing that same 170 grain bullet at 700 fps. You can use anything from 115 grain plinkers to 200 grain bullets. While it's a joy to shoot with standard jacketed fodder, that long neck shines with cast bullets. It's killed all the game on the North American continent and is easy to find at any box store. You want subsonic? It's easy to do with the .30-30. Jacketed, cast, light smokeless or heavy, the .30-30 will do it all.

rbernie

6.8SPC, assuming that the definition of 'intermediate' implies an OAL that is less than 2.26" (or 57mm). It has the broadest performance envelope and product availability of any AR friendly chambering.

iMagUdspEllr

Best as an intermediate rifle round. Which would be defending against bipedal intruders up to 300m (that is kinda the objective of intermediate rifle rounds).

How is 6.5x55 swede an intermediate rifle round? Either my definition of intermediate rifle round is wrong or you guys are trying to say, "Use a suitable substitute for .308"

masotti

Seeing as 556 wasn't available. I opted for the 762 X 39. In my humble opinion both will work for different reasons. 762 is big and slow thus a lot of damage when it enters. 5.56 is small and fast, thus it tumbles when it enters. Small hole going in big hole coming out. This of course is for self defense.