Best home security system?

Dr. Dave

I'm closing on my new house soon, and I need to get a security system. I had it pre-wired for a system, with sensors on all of the doors and windows.

Any suggestions regarding which company to use? What can I do about people breaking window glass to get in?

Thanks

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
#1 - Get a dog.

#2 - Get a shotgun.

#3 - Install quality deadbolts.

#4 - Find a reputable company that has been in business for a while.

Good luck. :)

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
An old image of mine

s_alarm.JPG

As far as alarm systems go, I can only say: require battery back-up.

Lance Gothic

Dr. Dave,
Visit this posting:http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=52247
Contact your insurance company and ask their recommendations. Additionally you may qualify for reduced rates as a result of your investment. (Don't be surprised at the response you may receive. Some carriers are less than well informed regarding these matters. Others are well versed in the whole scheme of things.)
Contact an alarm company and discuss it with them. Also consider speaking with a security consultant in your area.
Battery back-up. Cell phone. Alarm for if the electrical system is circumvented (to your monitoring contractor).
Refer to your yellow pages and find a security consultant whom is a CPP, certified protection professional, through
http://www.asisonline.org/
You can get elaborate with motion sensors, infrared cameras and more. Consider it to be a "life-saving" procedure...And go from there!
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

citizen

Security......

Got "Protection One". Whole development does; all homes
prewired. Motion detectors, perimeter alarm, power monitor,
etc. When tripped they provide armed response.
Not aware of any successful break-ins around here; but never questioned them. National firm, IIRC. So many of us together my monitoring costs $18 mo. False alarms and responses are about $75, I think. Just a guide.:)

plateshooter

Security systems

For breaking glass, there are glass break detectors. I was in that business for a few years, and had great results using DSC panels and devices. If you don't want to spend 20-30 dollars per month for a monitoring fees, you can have your panel page you with a set of codes to let you know what is going on when you are not home. That way you can decide to call the police, fire dept etc. Some citys will fine up to 500 dollars if you send too many false alarms. Also when your home at night, you can arm your perimeter and glass breaks so no one can enter with out you knowing it. Some systems can be partitioned off to use as 2 systems. I use one for my gun room, and one for the rest of my home. That way if any of my grand kids or other person would happen to get into the gun room, I know it immediately, even if the house is disarmed and I'm not at home. There are some pretty economical ways to protect your home without being tied to a monthly fee from a monitoring company.

justice4all

1. Dog(s)
2. Gun(s) that all grown people can use comfortably
3. Good-quality safe(s) that can be mounted to the basement floor, or a similarly "safe" safe.
4. A good alarm, motion lights, etc. But I know very little about this, living as a tenant in an apartment.

Congrats on buying a home. I'm planning on doing the same this year. I know I'll feel a lot safer, and be contributing to my financial security.

Gunslinger

I have one I can recommend against, ADT.
A few months ago we had one of their systems installed. The system was junk....no other way to describe it. When purchasing the system I told the representative that I was not enamored with their systems having answered too many false ADT alarms before retiring. I was given a written guarantee that they would remove the system and refund my money if I was not satisfied within three weeks. I was unavailable the day the installer came to put the system in so my mother came to my house to take care of it. The salesman talked her into a signing a three year contract and took the satisfaction agreement.
The system malfunctioned ten times in the first three days. The company explained that they were installing other systems in a housing addition a few miles down the road and there was nothing they could do about it. They were rude and hateful when I tried to talk with them about it. I told them to come and get the thing. They told me that they had a three year contract and refused. I stopped payment on the check and refused to pay. They eventually came and got their system. Bottom line is they lied and then tried to coerce me when the system faliled to work.

An alarm system is nice but also follow Bluesmans suggestions. Nothing beats a good dog for peace of mind.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
When I lived in the county here was my home security system...

1 - Pair of Peafowl (cock & hen) Very keen on what is happening around "their" property and loud when something is out of the norm.

2 - Rotty. Pick up on Peafowl's alarms and investigated.

3 - 1911, Beretta 1201, AR-15

4 - Monitored Security System w/outside loudspeaker so neighbors can immediatly respond to back up 1-3 above prior to LE arriving.

All in all I felt very secure. :D

OkieGentleman

Home Alarm System

I am in the business so let me give you a few hints.

Check your with your local PD and see if you need a license for an alarm, don't get surpised by this little ordinance, it could cost you big bucks in fines.

Ask who the local alarm companys are, there are several around.

Have the guy give you a bid and check his state license when you do so. Your state probably does licensing for alarm people. If there is no licensing requirement for alarm companies contact your state Alarm Company Society and ask for a membership listing. Get more than one bid and let the guys know you are comparing pricing.

Ask for references from customers and follow up with phone calls.

Conceal any sirens (inside or out) in such a way that BGs cannot cut the wires to the siren while standing on one of your lawn chairs.

A local alarm company is going to want to make you happy and keep your business. He does not want you down at the local cafe bad mouthing him over coffee to other possible customers.

The local guy probably contracts out his phone account to a national company and adds an administrative fee for collecting from you for his profit. Negotiate a flat fee paid in advance for one year. You might get as much as 30% off the regular cost.

Get the good key pad that can be programmed in plain english telling what each zone is ie (North Bedroom Window) or (Front Door). Don't get the key pad with zone lights, the plain english takes the guess work out of what is wrong.
If you can afford it get one key pad close to the Master Bedroom and one by the front door. After the work is done make sure you get copies of the installation instructions and copies of all programming sheets for your records.

Don't set any glass break detectors to the 24 hr mode. Add smoke detectors if local ordinances allow. Sirens inside and out. If you can only have one siren put it inside the air return of the central air,if you have central air and make it LOUD as possible. Pain and noise has an interesting effect on intruders.

Combination motion detectors use micro-wave and infra-red or ultra-sonic and ifra-red together to eliminate 99% of the false alarms associated with motion detectors that only use a single method to detect intruders. Use only combination units for space protection.

Harden your contact point where the phone comes into the house. Hopefully it is buried cable.

If there is no feeling of trust with the guy you are dealing with, look else where. The two of you are going to be together for a long time if you maintain your alarm and
have a service contract and monitoring contract with his company.

I work for an international security company, I am not blowing my companies horn because I know how the larger companies can do some things. ADT is not a company I recommend.

ChrisMkIV

Brinks 24 monitored

After my wife was attacked in our home, we installed a Brinks 24-hour monitored system with inside motion detectors sensitivty alarm on all doors and windows.

If a door or window is struck or jiggled the alarm goes off and the Brinks monitoring center calls you for a password, if you don't tell them your password, or don't answer the phone, they call 911.

but a home alarm should only be used to wake you up so you can grab your gun and the intruder does not get the drop on you, like he did my wife. http://www.brinkshomesecurity.com/

You can order right over the phone with packages you can select over the internet, then they just come out and install it.

The alarm to wake you up, and then this to do the job of protecting your family!
coltgldcup.gif

BigO

There is absolutely no better early warning system than a dog with good ears and a loud bark. Our dog starts growling the second anyone gets within 25 yards of the house. :)

Dead

Damn Oleg!!!!!

The AK "Anti-Burgalar Alarm" is ALOT better than the first one (the first one is alittle to harshly worded for the unbeleivers out there), The AK one is AWESOME!!!!!! The Drum makes a nice touch.

viesczy

Best alarm system. . .

Well out loyalty to my American Bulldog, I'd say that they are the best. Hey wait, she can't read this forget I said that! :)

Seriously though a pair of dogs, man stopper (large) and alarm (small) is an effective combination. The little dog will ususally sound their alarm for the pack to join them against a threat and continue to sound the alarm and continue and continue. The large dog (read true man stopping animal) will sound an alarm, and if that threat continues and the large dog is of hard temperament, the dog will take matters into its own hands. I am unaware of any man who can triumph fist to fang against a true man stopping canine.

If you don't have enough room for two dogs, get a large dog and a goose. :D Rome was saved by geese when I guess it was the Huns sneaking in and roused a gaggle of geese. A loud chorus of honks went out and here came the Roman legions.

And have a quality shoulder arm at your disposal.

Derek

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am getting mellow in my old age

The first poster is old, done before I owned any guns of my own. THe second one is very recent. "surpriiiiiise!"

Cato

Just one thing- the worst thing one could do is see the dog as a living burglar alarm. They need love, time, food and cost money. What makes me cry is, that so many poor dogs are killed every year in US shelters because of a throw away mentality and because people don't consider all the time&money necessary. If you want a compadre, who will love, warn and protect you, at least try to go first to your local shelter or organizations like "Rottweiler Rescue" http://www.msu.edu/~silvar/arottlinks.htm

Wallew

Our three Great Pyrenees are excellent burglar alarms. Of course, you do need SOME room for dogs to exercise, etc, so having large dogs in a small space is not recommended. Having said that, if you live in the country, the idea of a few geese or guinea hens as the early warning is excellent. In early China, they used the small dogs, who were very light sleepers to wake the large dogs, who woke the humans. So a few dogs or other 'loud' animals will be a good additon to almost any home. And I agree with CATO, consider picking your breed and then rescuing one or more. You can generally go to Yahoo and type in 'Dog Rescue' and it will come up with a site that lists ALL animal rescue sites and how to contact them. We have now resuced four dogs over the past eight years. Just got the last two males about seven months ago. You will generally find rescue animals are older (1 - 5 yrs) and every one we've rescued has been extremely grateful. Rusty, one female we had for five years gave us kisses (licks) after every night's meal. Just to let us know she really appreciated a good home. Elliot and Louie, our current new rescues are very happy to have a new home. So, please, if you are looking for a dog, try rescuing one or more. You and they will both be better off.