best holster for CCW

orionengnr

I've owned a bunch so far, and my current favorite and most-worn holster is an old Alessi Watch Six (with Kydex clips) for my 4" 1911. I don't believe Alessi makes them any more, but Milt Sparks makes a Watch six using metal clips. I do have a Milt Sparks VM-II but seldom wear it.

My second-most worn holster is my UBG Striker 1 for my Kahr P45. I need to order a Striker 1 for my 4" 1911, as that is what carry most these days.

I'd also like to try a Crossbreed Supertuck for a 1911. I have concerns about the Kydex portion of the holster, mostly due to the wear it inflicts, but if I limit it to a stainless gun I guess I'll be okay. Gives me an excuse to buy a stainless 4" 1911 :)

Thank you for the link to the Theis holster. I visited his site and sent an email requesting further info.

Last edited:

BlkHawk73

For the most part, someone will simply recommend whatever they have and works for them. I'd be darn sure most will buy one and settle, never trying another make/model. Be it too cheap or whatever, I KNOW that's many times the case. I'll try a few different holsters. My carry gun got 3 or 5 different holster checks but once trying the Mitch Rosen Workamn, I had it! That was THE one. Little revolver just disappears. :)
A biggie for me was also having something other than the mass-produced fodder. Didn't want some thin, assembly-line stuff.
You wanted the best you could get for a gun, don't skimp on the holster and belt either. yeah, get a GOOD belt too.

mbquimby

I CCW an XD40 Tactical (5 inch barrel) everyday in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Any holster that will let you conceal a pistol that large IWB in shorts and a T-shirt without printing and COMFORTABLY has to be on the short list of "greatest holsters ever for CCW " if not at the top.

I agree with the poster above about people just recommending what they use after settling on the first thing they try. I chose the Crossbreed after going through at least seven others.

I'd like to add that if you don't buy clothes with the intent to CCW in mind and you don't have a good quality belt, searching for a good holster is like trying to find a good motor for a car without a frame and expecting to race it after installation.

P97

After trying a bunch of holsters, my Favorite is the Milt Sparks VM2HS, which is a IWB Horsehide Holster.

Duckkkkk

I'm not saying it's the best or the latest or greatest, but....

I like to spend my money with the small business person, and even better if their a local small business person that provides good service.

I'm in Michigan, and granted their local to me, but I found this Kydex holster maker, who also happens to be in the law enforcement business and started providing his co-workers with holsters that expanded into a business.

He gave me fast one day turnaround on a Bersa UC40. I brought him the gun and he custom made a holster for me by next day to my preferences. Granted, not everyone can do that, but if he has the mold, I'm sure he'd take care of you fairly quickly. He's a nice guy to boot.

It seems like a comfortable, secure holster, with 2 adjustment screws for gun security.

http://www.multiholsters.com/about.htm

20110520104630.jpg

20110520104614.jpg

rml4uk

I carry my Glock 23 at 1:00 (appendix) in a High Noon Hidden Ally. For my body type and the style of clothes I like to wear, that is my best option (I'm 6'4" and 225lbs). As for the Hidden Ally, I can't say enough about how great it is. With shipping it was around $45 and is great quality. It's made of a soft black leather that is about 1/8" thick that definitely helps appendix carry to be a little more comfortable if you know what I mean. Nothing like hard metal or kydex rubbing your more sensitive areas...

incredible for deep carry - not so great for quick draw

i absolutely love the pistolwear holsters for every day carry, when concealment is my main objective. some of the models are more geared towards slightly faster draw. i really like my new trump card model. if you get the trump card and intend on carrying sob, get the left handed model if you are right handed.

http://www.pistolwear.com/holsters.htm

coulter6

I don't know if it's the best, but I use a Minotaur Spartan Holster from Comp-Tac. Leather against your skin and kydex to hold the pistol. Very well made to boot.

sludwinjr

ive had don hume, mitch rosen, some basic desantis, but recently i have purchased 3 differant IWB holsters from the holster store .net and couldnt be happier....wasnt sure cause couldnt find many reviews, but i was impressed with them and will prob order my next one from them