Best handgun for the wife

redhologram

and both her boyfriend and I were careful -- not to influence her conclusions or impressions.
I don't know her boyfriend, but from what I know about you from around here, you're pretty intelligent. :)

TailGator

She dry fired both revolvers a little ...and put 2 rounds of .38 spl thru each of them ...and discarded both revolvers as options right away.

That is a common reaction. Although .38 revolvers are often recommended on boards like these, many women don't enjoy shooting them (my wife and daughters included), and a fair number of men as well.

BigJimP

a couple of my granddaughters like shooting the revolvers...so I don't know.../ I think it just depends. Maybe they like shooting them - because they know I've collected and shot them for many years ..and I'm affecting their impressions. ( a nice Nickel finish S&W revolver - with nice upgraded wood grips on it ...is kind of sexy ) ! ...like a model 19 or maybe a 27....

Some of the grandkids like shooting my single action Freedom Arms as well...( its a .357 mag ....and they can shoot .38's out of it as well )...

Personally, I think a revolver makes a nice safe, easy to use gun, for concealed carry - or maybe a nightstand gun --etc.../ but everyone should own, shoot whatever they want !

lee n. field

She has never shot a gun, but she does a lot of hiking and bears and other animals could be a problem in our area. While this is an important factor I don't want to sacrifice it's utility for self-defense or SHTF, also needs to be suitable for EDC in a CCW role. Would pretty much like it to be something that the recoil is not prohibitive but carries enough rounds for a possible zombie invasion. She is of course not a super model but can still rock a set of mom jeans. Also what would be the best mode for concealed carry at church. Hate to even ask but we live in a pretty liberal area and she will need to be armed even to and from.

"A lightweight little .357 snubbie for the little woman. Got one in a pretty lavender right here."*

You have a set of needs that's going to be hard to fill with just one purchase. Able to dissuade bears (what kind?), but low recoil. Able to hide in a pair of jeans. And, of course, it has to fit her hand, not yours.

I'm thinking a compact .45, and dress around it.

*(Ignore that advice, from me or the gun store salesman.)

hudson69

As other poster have mentioned have her shoot a variety of guns but have her do so with someone besides you; you dont want her reading cues from you as to what she thinks she should pick up. Someone you both respect and is competent.

Having said that you mentioned bear country, zombies and it being an everyday carry CCW. Based off of that without knowing what training your wife has had and will complete after getting a gun or having seen what your wife looks like, stature and build wise I can only recommend one type of pistol.

I would say go for a .357 magnum snub. Make sure it is all steel not a light weight alloy model. The .357 magnum is great for backpacking, even in a snubby. For practice or even every day carry you can load up some decent .38 specials.

If your wife does not practice a lot then a revolver tends to be much simpler to operate under stress (point, squeeze, repeat...). A snubby is also really easy to conceal (especially the 5 shot models) and more affordable than the sub-compact/micro pistols.

I am recommending the steel models because as wonderful as dropping weight off a EDC piece is I have seen (I am an NRA Instructor) enough women instantly hate a .357 in airweight after using full power slugs; even though their husbands thought they were doing them a favor by getting the 2 ounce model. The all steel are heavier and absorb recoil so much better.

I am recommending the .357 caliber just because you can cross between the .38 and the .357; both good rounds.

My .02¢ only

Buckdown

Never shot before.Take her to the range and try a variety of pistols and calibers out.And would suggest she take a real professional self defense course before full time carry.