Best for accuracy in .308?

Which is your favorite varmint model in .308?

• Remington 700 Police with 26 inch barrel

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Remington 700 Police with 20 inch barrel (LTR)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Savage 10 FP

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA Varmint

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • CZ 550 Varmint Laminated

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Browning A Bolt M-1000 Eclipse

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Ruger M77 Mark II Target

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters

DAVID NANCARROW

Code:
How many of those who stepped up to the plate (allegedly) actually have owned BOTH, and still chose the 26"? Just a simple question.

Nice dodge, FirstFreedom. Both of my 308's have 26 inch barrels because I want the velocity. That you come into this discussion and slamming all us "ignorant" people makes me think you're more of a reader than a shooter, and did not consider the variables that have been pointed out by more than one responder.

What exactly IS your experience with the subject at hand?

Savage10FP308

David...

very good rebuke. So good, in fact, that I highly doubt that you will get a response. It's hard to answer a question that you don't have an answer for!:D

Fremmer

I voted for the 20" barrel, but only because I've been in some home-made stands that are constructed in such a manner as to make it difficult to get through the doorway of the stand if your rifle has a long barrel (I'm not sure how to explain this).

Hello123

Out of curiosity...

Few are voting for the Weatherby. This gun is guaranteed to shoot SUB MOA with factory ammo-pretty darn good. Apparently, the majority feel that most Remmys and Savage will do better as they voted for them, even without a guarantee.

DAVID NANCARROW

Savage, I really wasn't trying to slam the man. As you, I have learned more on this site in the years I have been here than I ever could have pulled out of a book. People like Gewher, Bogie, Art Eatman and absolutely a cast of thousands have freely shared their hard earned and practical experience for all to see. Hats off to all you senior shooters!
I recommend this site to all my friends who really want to learn about rifle shooting, reloading and pretty much all things firearms!

Gewehr98

Hello123, Weatherby only recently promised sub-MOA performance.

Few are voting for the Weatherby. This gun is guaranteed to shoot SUB MOA with factory ammo-pretty darn good. Apparently, the majority feel that most Remmys and Savage will do better as they voted for them, even without a guarantee.

My experience with the newer kevlar-stocked Weatherby rifles, namely the Accumark series, is that they will indeed shoot sub-MOA, but only barely. They're also more expensive than the Remington 700PSS/Varmint series (subtle hint: same rifles, different stocks) or the Savage 10FP series, and don't lend themselves to tweaking and customization quite as well. You're spending a lot more for those 9 locking lugs, and they don't necessarily impart better accuracy in the process.

Just browsing for a few minutes, the best price I've seen on www.gunsamerica.com is $947 for a NIB Weatherby Accumark in .30-06, compared to $735 for a NIB Remington 700 PSS in .308, $640 for a NIB Remington 700 Varmint Synthetic in .308, $580 for a NIB Remington 700 Varmint Laminated Stock in .308, or $484 for a NIB Savage 10FP in .308. ;)